Sign in to follow this  
Tango777

Runway course hdg in FMC wrong

I have not updated anything in FSX and if this has been asked before I'm sorry, just post the link and i'll read it.

The problem in the NGX out of the blue for me now is that the FMC gives the proper ils freq for a rwy but it gives the wrong rwy course hdg. If you are landing on let's say a 32-14 rwy, and you select rwy 32 in the fmc the fmc will give the opposite course hdg of 140 instead of 320 every single time.

Any ideas?

brandon garcia

Any ideas?

Please reference the nav data section of the Intro Manual. Additionally, the entry about the SET FSX LOC CRS option might be of some help.

Kyle Rodgers

Please reference the nav data section of the Intro Manual. Additionally, the entry about the SET FSX LOC CRS option might be of some help.

I read the section you referenced thoroughly but the SET FSX LOC CRS option is already set to on as the intro manual suggests. So the problemo still exists.

What to do?

brandon garcia

The problem in the NGX out of the blue for me now is that the FMC gives the proper ils freq for a rwy but it gives the wrong rwy course hdg. If you are landing on let's say a 32-14 rwy, and you select rwy 32 in the fmc the fmc will give the opposite course hdg of 140 instead of 320 every single time.

What is the location ICAO?  Are you aware of how FSX treats runways with same ILS freq both directions? Could that be the problem? 

Dan Downs KCRP

I read the section you referenced thoroughly but the SET FSX LOC CRS option is already set to on as the intro manual suggests. So the problemo still exists.

What to do?

Read it again and then think about it for a few minutes and it'll start to make sense.

SET FSX LOC CRS basically "looks into" the simulator to find the CRS of the active frequency. It will pull the course of the first match that it finds.

Let me guess the scenario here:

You selected 32, but approached the airport from the north, and the frequency is the same for approaches to 32 and 14?

Kyle Rodgers

Read it again and then think about it for a few minutes and it'll start to make sense.

SET FSX LOC CRS basically "looks into" the simulator to find the CRS of the active frequency. It will pull the course of the first match that it finds.

Let me guess the scenario here:

You selected 32, but approached the airport from the north, and the frequency is the same for approaches to 32 and 14?

The scenario was approaching KIND from the southeast and selected rwy 32 in the FMC because of the wind component at that time. Rwy 32-14 both share 110.50 as the ils freq. I know that rwys have the same ils freq from either direction. But the FMC still gave a course hdg of 138 after selecting rwy 32. I manually reset the crs selector on the MCP for rwy 32's proper hdg. This scenario has happened at other airports.

One thing in the Win 10 world that I have found out is that the MD-11 no longer automatically dials in a rwy's ils freq and crs within the mcdu. I have to manually type in the freq and crs into the mcdu which I do not mind, just one little step for flying a great plane.

brandon garcia

But the FMC still gave a course hdg of 138 after selecting rwy 32.

Please be more concise in explaining the steps required to see the problem.  Did you select rwy 32 or did you select ILS32? Is your navdata current (NGX gets ILS course and freq from navdata, not FSX unless the option mentioned is selected)?

Dan Downs KCRP

Please be more concise in explaining the steps required to see the problem.  Did you select rwy 32 or did you select ILS32? Is your navdata current (NGX gets ILS course and freq from navdata, not FSX unless the option mentioned is selected)?

I selected ILS32. The navdata I have is about 3 or 4 months old or so, but if you read my opening original post at the beginning of this post you will read that this problem just started happening and that I haven't added anything to FSX.

Everything was working fine a couple weeks ago, so if a 3 or 4 month old navdata is the problemo then that would mean that it is only affecting the NGX and no other plane. I doubt that is the case because every other plane works fine with this issue, including the 777 and J41.

I do not know how much more concise I can be?

brandon garcia

The navdata I have is about 3 or 4 months old or so, but if you read my opening original post at the beginning of this post you will read that this problem just started happening and that I haven't added anything to FSX.

Old navdata wouldn't cause this, unless that cycle happened to have had a problem. Have you tried deleting ARPT_RWY.dat in the PMDG\NAVDATA folder? That file could have become corrupted and might be messing things up (it rebuilds itself from your navdata if you delete it).

If that doesn't work, a temporary solution would be to uncheck the SET FSX LOC CRS option and dial in the course manually, as happens in the real world. I never fly the NGX with that option selected. One or two degrees difference to the inbound course compared to FSX will have a negligible effect, certainly not as dramatic as a 180 deg error.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Have you tried deleting ARPT_RWY.dat in the PMDG\NAVDATA folder?

I think that is used by the B77X RAAS Kevin, OP may not have that file.

Dan Downs KCRP

I think that is used by the B77X RAAS Kevin, OP may not have that file.

Kevin could be correct here, actually.

Kyle Rodgers

Hmm... learned something. I didn't realize NGX looks at that file at all.

Anyway... lacking specifics about the OPs problem I used what was shared to see if i could reproduce.  I flew a 737-700 from KCVG Cincinnati to KIND Indy.  Verified that SET P3D LOC CRS was ON.  Departed KCVG 18R (using default scenery so I had to enter 18C into FMS) and flew the LOVEY DP thence DECEE transition to ILS32.  I noted that on the ground at KCVG that the APPROACH REF page correctly identified the ILS32 showing 110.50/320 for the approach.  Enroute, I changed to ILS14 then back to ILS32 to get close to OPs statement that he selected ILS32 presumably enroute.  APPROACH REF still correct and the PFD annunciation for the ILS indicated ICOA/319.

I set the OBS courses to 320, they did not get changed to 319 as expected.  However, they most certainly did not indicate the reciprocal approach.  I landed, shut down and shared my observations.  I did not try to set the OBS courses to a random value to see if they would change to 319.

OP did not indicate what was showing on his APPROACH REF page or on the PFD.

Dan Downs KCRP

Am I the person that is being referred to as OP?

Yes  your the one :wink:

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg