Sign in to follow this  
Tango777

Runway course hdg in FMC wrong

Hmm... learned something. I didn't realize NGX looks at that file at all.

That file has been present in PMDG navdata for as long as I can remember, so I assumed all PMDG sims refer to it.

Am I the person that is being referred to as OP?

Yes, you made the opening post so that makes you the OP in this thread.

ki9cAAb.jpg

That file has been present in PMDG navdata for as long as I can remember, so I assumed all PMDG sims refer to it.

I do not recall it predating the PMDG 77X, which is congruent with the observation that loading the 77X will rebuild the file but loading the NGX without it is a non-event. Still, Kyle says it matters so maybe changes have been made that I'm unaware of... which is not news LOL.

Regardless, I note the entry for KIND runway 32 is:

RW;32;39.720208;-86.270386;796;11050;320;320;7278

The course is apparently 320 whereas the ILS entry in the BGL has a course of 319.  I'll have to refly that segment to double check if the course reset from 320 to 319 and I simply missed it or it didn't change and the navdata file is in play here for the NGX.  I have a long flight in progress so it will be later.

Dan Downs KCRP

I do not recall it predating the PMDG 77X, which is congruent with the observation that loading the 77X will rebuild the file but loading the NGX without it is a non-event. Still, Kyle says it matters so maybe changes have been made that I'm unaware of... which is not news LOL.

Maybe you are correct, I just thought I'd seen it around in the folder. Anyway I found this post from Ryan which explains its purpose, which is to speed up FMC data searches.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/425675-ctd-on-flight-load-pmdg-777/#entry2851235

ki9cAAb.jpg

Okay. If or when it happens again I will take notes while it is happening and post here.

brandon garcia

I found this post from Ryan which explains its purpose, which is to speed up FMC data searches.

I remembered that as soon as you mentioned it, but not before... early onset of senility. Yup, post is in 777 subforum related only to the 777.  I recall a discussion that they found a memory load savings by using the cache instead of directly loading airports.dat, which is the source of airport/runway/ILS data in navdata and is shared with other PMDG products.  ARPTS_RWY.dat did not exist when I spent several days decoding all the navdata file formats and created the data definitions for them (available in AVSIM forum) sometime before/during MD-11 development.

Dan Downs KCRP