Sign in to follow this  
grayman2

Panel Interfacing

I would like some advice if possible, regarding FS9.

I am intending to build a basic panel for all rotary encoders, selector switches and other switches such as the AP & EFIS controls, not elaborate, but just to make it easier than having to use the mouse. At the moment I will not be outputting to LCD's or LED's as the panel display will be adequate.

I Have a Project AI A320 model with a panel by Ken Mitchell; I notice the same panel appears on the A321 in FSX. The encoders and switches are only operable by the mouse, with no keyboard action. If this is not possible with freeware panels, then I would be prepared to purchase a payware model, possibly IFLY 737, if necessary providing this is achievable.

Before I spend time and money on this project I need to know if it is possible to interface the controls and if so how, or is this only possible, or not in FSX. I have perused several sites but I am still unclear if this can be achieved. I had thought of using a Bodnar BU0836, PoKeys or some other interface, which appears to be easier than using an Arduino.

I have FSX, but I have all sceneries, airports and other information for FS9, so would prefer to stay with FS9 at the moment.

Thanks

Peter

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Peter,

If you want simplicity then the source equipment you mentioned is adequate. If you decide to go all out EPIC is the "go to" and FDS interfacing boards are very good as well.

MItch

Thanks Mitch,

the interface card does not seem to be the problem but how it can be interfaced to FS9, if it can.

This is what I am not sure of as in my post.

I have tried the "Mouse Macro" routine in FSUIPC but this does not work and although I am registered and can sign in, Simflight are not sending me an email to validate, therefore I am unable to ask the question there.

I have been studying this for weeks and posted on several forums without success and all I need is a definitive answer to my query

Peter.

I have tried the "Mouse Macro" routine in FSUIPC but this does not work

It does work (and very well) but not with XML gauges, only gauges written in C/C+

For XML gauges you need to discover the relevant Lvars using Fsuipc logging and then use Lua scripts assigned to your hardware.

The Fsuipc docs are a good place to start

Thanks Glynn,

the "Mouse Macro" does work for some switches but only a few, mostly the ones that can be input through FS9.

I am not sure what is meant by "XML" gauges as I am quite new to this; how would I detect the difference between gauges in XML or C/C+, could you explain?

I thought the C/C+ was the script such as Lua or Arduino!

I have read and re-read the FSUIPC documents along with several others, but with my age, the more I read the less I absorb.

The "Mouse Macro" routine would be ideal if it detected all the mouse actions and this is what I need.

Would this logging procedure enable me to see the inputs.

Thanks

Peter

These days fewer and fewer addons are using compiled C/C+ gauges so you are unlikely to get everything done using mouse macros although it's a fantastic facility when you have an addon that uses gauges written in  C/C+

Fsuipc logging will show the resulting actions when you operate a control on your aircrafts panel.

you will be able to see what FS Controls and Lvars are being sent for each function.

If you are lucky the function will exist in FSuipc's list of FS Controls then you can map your hardware switch or rotary to the respective control in Fsuipc's button tab.

If not then you will need delve into creating Lua scripts to work with the Lvars you have dicovered via the logging.

You will need to read up a bit on Lua scripting, a starting point would be a look through the examples provided by Fsuipc.

The Fsuipc user contributions forum may also be helpful for working examples.

Some links for further reading

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/63146-tutorial-how-to-get-lua-vars-or-commands-out-of-fs/

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/68257-latest-lua-package-for-fsuipc-and-wideclient/

http://www.anadrac.com/FSUIPC-Lua-Tutorial/index.html

Whilst this is all good fun and a hobby all by itself, you may save yourself a lot of work by using an addon with a well documented SDK such as the ifly 737 which has an Fsuipc interface already available for it or if funds permit and you would rather just be flying, go and visit Goflight (which is what I did) or VRinsight

http://goflightinc.com/

I will peruse these sites to see if it helps but I am rapidly becoming disillusioned.

Many thanks.

Hello Mitch,

I have managed to identify the AP, NAV & COM controls by logging and comparing to the FSUIPC decimal offset data list; what is confusing is that FSUIPC appear to be using hex & decimal but I think I should use decimal!

My problem now is tracing the signals for MFD & EICAS controls. Glynn suggested LVARS, but I am unsure how to do this, how to log it and where; perhaps you could advise?

If I could find these signals I could then advance a bit further.

I would be interested to see the Lua scripts you mentioned but I can't see where you posted them; I checked the link but they do not appear to be there.

I did check the links Glynn posted and I had already visited them and downloaded info, which I have read again.

Do you know why it is not possible to copy & paste when posting on this site.

Thanks

Peter.

Edit: I may now have the answer for checking LVARS after further investigation so I will see how far I get.

Peter,

Have you signed in to the website? The offerings may not be available unless you create an account.

As for copying and posting, not sure. A lot of things have changed here since Tom passed and not for the better. Seems the site has become "clickish" with those who get away with anything and helpful posts get deleted.

Regarding FSUIPC, I specifically use the offsets has Pete intended these to be used for reading and writing.

Mitch

I will peruse these sites to see if it helps but I am rapidly becoming disillusioned.

Many thanks.

Hi there, you are suffering the same as I was after dis-appointing attempts at keyboard hacking so I finally made a plug-and-play switch interface. I don't like having to keep adding bits and pieces even though I can write a bit of code, I just wanted to add switches and go.

I have made a few extra and made them available on ebay at:

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/PS-2-peripheriques-de-ordinateur-Flight-Sim-/301988077362?hash=item464fe45f32:g:ZDwAAOSwMNxXYXCK

Upto 128 sequences in 4 Banks of 32 momentary or toggle operations are available.

Being truely P&P does mean that you are stuck with my selection but if you talk to me nicely then I might be able to do something about that. :)

Good luck which ever way you decide to go.