Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Are there any good REX4 water textures?

I've tried a couple and they look blah!  What do you use and what settings?

Thanks!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

personally I  use  rexe  water  textures (since I find the  water textures  are  better m in rexe)  with  abit of  re4  textures   since  I mix  and  max  between the  2

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

If there are any good ones I have not found them.

Personally I use default P3d water.

Mick

I also use default P3D water. Looks better than anything I have found in REX

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I also use the default P3D water. The best REX water textures (Sparkling) really do not look as good as they did in FSX (due to the static nature of the water at anything above a few hundred feet altitude). The default P3D water has more subtle texturing, and therefore does not have that awful static "sand after the tide has gone out" look. On a side note, I still do not have a solution for the Giant Sun when using REX Essential Plus SP3 with P3D v3.1. Has this problem been solved for REX4 customers?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I also use the default P3D water. The best REX water textures (Sparkling) really do not look as good as they did in FSX (due to the static nature of the water at anything above a few hundred feet altitude). The default P3D water has more subtle texturing, and therefore does not have that awful static "sand after the tide has gone out" look. On a side note, I still do not have a solution for the Giant Sun when using REX Essential Plus SP3 with P3D v3.1. Has this problem been solved for REX4 customers?

In SunEffect.cfg there's a setting you can adjust.

[general]
SunSize=900
MoonSize=2072
SunTexture="sun.bmp"
LensFlareCount="10"
RenderCorona="1"
RenderGlow="1"
RenderMoonCorona="1"

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

How do you revert to P3d default water pls?

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Simple answer...no.

Stick to default p3d. I'm not sure what is going on with REX but I'm guessing there will be a new product around the corner as many of the current textures simply do not look good in p3d.

The water is one, another is the awful wet surface refraction. Worked well in fsx, looks terrible in p3d

Simple answer...no.

Stick to default p3d. I'm not sure what is going on with REX but I'm guessing there will be a new product around the corner as many of the current textures simply do not look good in p3d.

The water is one, another is the awful wet surface refraction. Worked well in fsx, looks terrible in p3d

Yeah, I installed it all, saw the water and...stared blankly for 10 or 15 seconds.  I recovered my water from the backup, went back through and unticked everything but clouds and, maybe, sky.  The water was horrible in P3D.  The clouds looked fairly good.

Honestly, I've been thinking for a while that there's an opportunity here where they load the sky and cloud textures based on the area where you're flying on your flightplan.  Flying in the desert...use this sky.  In California?...this one.  Storms coming?  This one.  Same with clouds.  Obviously, some folks would want to switch some out, but it could be done.  Suddenly the same ol' sky that you're always flying through comes alive...always different.

In terms of water, they've got some work to do.

Gregg Seipp

The REX water textures also seriously hit my framerate in P3D v3.1. That's another reason to steer clear of them.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The REX water textures also seriously hit my framerate in P3D v3.1. That's another reason to steer clear of them.

Yeah, I was wondering about that.  I'd also added some traffic and was monkeying with that too...was puzzled what was going on.

Gregg Seipp

Are you using Ultra for the water? I've been using REX4 with the High setting, Terrain, Clouds and User Vehicle ticked, and I think it looks alright.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Are you using Ultra for the water?

No, about medium I think.  Is that what it takes to make it look good?

Gregg Seipp

Gregg,

There is definitely a big difference between Medium and the higher two settings. Try it out. Water looks bland on Medium, it gets structure and animation on High and Ultra. But in order to see it you need to have Tessellation enabled.

Best

Frank

I honestly don't think the REX4 water textures/effects have been designed to really work with P3Dv3. I always find the water looks weird in v3 with REX water. In FSX it was great, but for P3D I've gone back to stock water.

Wills