Sign in to follow this  
ideoplastic

Strange behaviour

All of a sudden P3D is behaving strangely. Basically when P3D starts and the sim screen appears, after a minute or so, it disappears and takes me to a black screen with no sound or image.

My first thought was to check the dll.xml and exe.dll files for inegrity as well as the P3D.cfg which I deleted and let P3D recreate. Also checked the simobjects cfg. Nothing wrong found on any of these files. After an hour or so trying to sort the issue it occurred to me to delete the contents of C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\SceneryIndexes. To my surprise P3D started just fine. At this point I thought I'd cracked it.

Then I added some sceneries to P3D and when P3D started it failed again. After deleting the SceneryIndexes back to functioning, and this is now the only way when I want to do a flight.

Not sure what to check anymore to really be able to resolve this permannetly and wondering if anyone has any advice or perhaps knows how to fix it.

Much obliged for any feedback.

I would check whether P3D works after each scenery install to see which one is the culprit.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Thank you Dominique. I've checked that already but the fact is that once all scenery indexes are deleted P3D recreates them at start up and they all work OK. What I cannot find is why P3D wont start correctly unless I clear the indexes before starting the sim.

I'd disable all your third party sceneries and try it a few times...then start adding them back.  It might be a lot easier doing this with SimStarter since it does it outside the sim so that your tests go faster.  (And if you have a lot of sceneries SimStarter is just wonderful!)

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Check and see if you can do a Restore to a point where p3d was loading Properly, But do it Quickly because of how Win? handles Restore points, You may loose the Restore Points You Need !! - Johnman B)

Then I added some sceneries to P3D and when P3D started it failed again.

What Sceneries did you add?    Inside or outside the Prepar3D folder? 

I don't run System Restore on my PC. Most of my sceneries are outside P3D and work seamlessly once I remove the items on the SceneryIndexes folder at which point P3D will start just fine. This is the only way I can get P3D to work. If I do a flight and close P3D, then start it up again with the very same sceneries of previous flight or no matter what sceneries, the sim will not load and will take me to the black screen.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions, I guess in the end I'll have to reinstall P3D.

Regards