Sign in to follow this  
Quink

Installing FSX-SE

As those of you who have FSX-SE may recall when you installed it on your computer using the DTG site you were presented with the installation page, or at least I was, that offered one installation destination and one only.  There was no way to select anything other than C:/Program File (x86) and that's where my FSX-SE is now installed.  I do not have FSX installed. It was totally removed awhile back before I installed FSX-SE.

A couple of questions if I may.........

Is there any way to shift or change the current location (above) of FSX-SE to C:/ FSX-SE?

Do any of you have two complete folder trees for FSX-SE installed and if so is it necessary and why?

For example, when I go to FSX-SE tree I normally go,

C:/ Program Files (86)/Steam/steamapps/Common/FSX

and there I find all the usual folders, ie,  Addon Scenery, Modules, Missions, Sim Objects, etc. but within this FSX tree  there is also another steam folder.  Clicking that steam folder opens another steamapps/common/ FSX folder and that folder also cantains another entire FSX-

SE tree with all the same FSX folders as mentioned above.  Another complete FSX tree Folder!

The folders within both of these FSX folders such as Modules, Sim objects, don't always contain exactly the same files but they are always the same in each FSX folder tree. 

I'm wondering if this is normal? Should I delete one or is there some deep mysterious reason for ir?  The path to this second FSX tree is;

C:/Program file(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/FSX/steam/steamapps/common/FSX

A final problem is that despite the fact that I have been using FSUIPC  since 2004 with no problem whatsoever when I installed it in FSX-SE the ADDONS menu would not appear in the simulator menus tab and I was curious since this is the only way to access the program if anyone else has experienced this.  As those of you who have used this program know......there is no life after

FSUIPC!

My thanks in advance for any help.....

Quink

I'm not sure about changing the location, but all i can say is that when I installed FSX:SE on my PC there was no prior installation of FSX and I just selected drive F: (larger of my two drives, C: of course is where the OS resides Windows 7 ultimate 64bit).

So my tree is:-

F:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/FSX/

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Hi,

You need to uninstall your current set up and reinstall into your other drive away from C:/ Program Files (86) as this will cause you problems.

When you rerun the installer you should have an option to choose your location

but within this FSX tree  there is also another steam folder.  Clicking that steam folder opens another steamapps/common/ FSX folder and that folder also cantains another entire FSX-

SE tree with all the same FSX folders as mentioned above.  Another complete FSX tree Folder!

The folders within both of these FSX folders such as Modules, Sim objects, don't always contain exactly the same files but they are always the same in each FSX folder tree. 

I'm wondering if this is normal? Should I delete one or is there some deep mysterious reason for ir? 

Quink

lol that's not normal at all

it sounds like you ended up with it installed twice somehow! once in the default spot, and then for some reason again inside the fsx directory

if you go to steam->settings->downloads and click the "steam library folders" button you should only really have one entry in there maybe have a look at that . that is where steam is going to put your stuff. there's not an easy way to move things unfortunately, even if you copy the files over the releveant registry entries are going to be pointing at the old place until you re-install or edit them yourself..

i would guess that you are in for a world of randomness with your current setup because who knows which one your registry is looking at, the real one or the extra one installed inside the real one. and as pointed out using program files(x86) is problematic to begin with

cheers

-andy crosby

Since my last posting I have Uninstalled Steam, done a shutdown and restart, de-fragmented the computer and re-download the Steam utility.  I am back on the Steam website and ready to re-install FS Steam (FSX-SE). But I'm back in the same quandary again.  The drop down window on the Steam page offers me only one choice that  will work on my computer and that is;

C: / Program Files (x86) / Steam / steamapps / common / FSX

There are a couple of other options which are all drives such as D, and Y, none of which are available on my computer.

What I want is to install it to my C: drive and I just can't see a way to do it. That full address would be;

C:/FSX

To all of you who offered possible solutions please accept my sincere thanks and to all who have any more....Don't be bashful!  I'm sitting here with my finger on the INSTALL trigger on the Steam website

And to Andy a special thanks.......I tried it but I couldn't get it to work!

Quink

Is there not a tick box to change the install location? Can you not physically highlight the install line with the cursor and type it in? Just throwing wild ideas out there ;)

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

The install path will depend on where you installed Steam won't it ?

by default it puts it there but you can configure it to hold it's library in whatever directory you want.

To all of you who offered possible solutions please accept my sincere thanks and to all who have any more....Don't be bashful!  I'm sitting here with my finger on the INSTALL trigger on the Steam website

.....I tried it but I couldn't get it to work!

maybe have a look here:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-tdlc-0426

its not clear what didn't work exactly

you should see the option to add a new directory in the dropdown menu when it asks what location you want to install

the options in the settings->downloads let you add or remove spots that you want to use from that dropdown list also

cheers

-andy crosby