Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Benefits of using a 4k TV?

I use a 46" 1080p Samsung for my simming using DSR.  It's cool but I'm wondering what it would be like if the monitor itself was 4K.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I use a 43" Visio 4K TV... 30hz HDMI input from my video card. Looks great and gives me lower vsync requirements that a regular monitor usually can't these days.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I use a 43" Visio 4K TV... 30hz HDMI input from my video card. Looks great and gives me lower vsync requirements that a regular monitor usually can't these days.

Not sure I really understand this... Yes, most monitors don-t do 30Hz. So? As long as you output your desired 30Hz, a 60Hz monitor will just repeat the frame for 2 cycles. If anything it should be smoother (reason why sports look awesome on a 120/240Hz TV even though the source does not come like that)

What's the difference.

Not sure I really understand this... Yes, most monitors don-t do 30Hz. So? As long as you output your desired 30Hz, a 60Hz monitor will just repeat the frame for 2 cycles. If anything it should be smoother (reason why sports look awesome on a 120/240Hz TV even though the source does not come like that)

What's the difference.

If the GPU has to put out data at 60hz instead of 30 hz the bandwidth is double, which means the GPU has to work twice as hard to create the same display. Nothing in a flight sim has rapid movement, so the FPS is not that important. Sports, something like hockey for instance, has rapid movement so a higher refresh rate is important. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I'm running a 48" samsung curved 4k 7500 series.

Its amazing !!!!

Vernon Howells

If the GPU has to put out data at 60hz instead of 30 hz the bandwidth is double, which means the GPU has to work twice as hard to create the same display. Nothing in a flight sim has rapid movement, so the FPS is not that important. Sports, something like hockey for instance, has rapid movement so a higher refresh rate is important.

Uhmm what does that have to do with anything? The gpu will always generate as much as possible and you can either leave it uncapped or cap it at what you want. This has nothng to donwith the frequency of the monitor. Or in other words, the monitor frequency does not. Impose anything on the graphics card.

Uhmm what does that have to do with anything? The gpu will always generate as much as possible and you can either leave it uncapped or cap it at what you want. This has nothng to donwith the frequency of the monitor. Or in other words, the monitor frequency does not. Impose anything on the graphics card.

Where did I say it had anything to do with the frequency of the monitor? Read what I wrote. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If the GPU has to put out data at 60hz instead of 30 hz the bandwidth is doub

Here. This is a direct reference to a 30hz vs 60hz monitor, otherwise it makes even less sense... (Plus the fact that GPUs don't put out in "hz")

And it still doesn't respond to what I asked him anyway, because my question was "who cares if the monitor is not 30hz?"

You may not *need* to ouput 60fps, but if the monitor would be capable of that, how would that hurt?

Mr. Gimenez...

I answered the OP's question... you offered only to argue a point. Please either contribute to the actual question or leave the thread alone.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ah sigh.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Here. This is a direct reference to a 30hz vs 60hz monitor, otherwise it makes even less sense... (Plus the fact that GPUs don't put out in "hz")

And it still doesn't respond to what I asked him anyway, because my question was "who cares if the monitor is not 30hz?"

You may not *need* to ouput 60fps, but if the monitor would be capable of that, how would that hurt?

Look the profession that I retired from a few years ago after almost a half century involved in related fields, and still work in as a consultant is very high end video applications. I am not going to argue with you. You believe what you want, that's fine with me. Just the fact that you claim that is GPU's output is not in hertz, makes me realise that discussing this any further with you is a waste of my time and probably yours. 

Mr. Gimenez...

I answered the OP's question... you offered only to argue a point. Please either contribute to the actual question or leave the thread alone.

No, that-s incorrect... I asked (based on your comment) regarding the difference because I did not understand it...

Look the profession that I retired from a few years ago after almost a half century involved in related fields, and still work in as a consultant is very high end video applications. I am not going to argue with you. You believe what you want, that's fine with me. Just the fact that you claim that is GPU's output is not in hertz, makes me realise that discussing this any further with you is a waste of my time and probably yours.

*sigh*... I'm not going to bother going into the details of the difference between how a monitor processes the images vs. how the gpu "serves" them.

I think you're completely missing the point of the discussion, and that was the question of why would it be better/would it matter if the monitor supported 30Hz vs one that supports 60Hz, when you want to set the sim to output at 30 fps.

To try to clarify / compromise, let's go by this comment again:

fps does not equal refresh rate... just because you set the card to 60Hz to match a monitor does not mean it will work at 60 FPS. In fact depending on the application, settings, etc. it may even be the case there-s just no way you will *ever* achieve 60 fps, and yet you're still outputting/matching 60Hz. The monitor will just "pick up" what's there for it in the buffer at the same frequency.

So again, frames don-t matter that much in the sim (within limits), I agree, but you can easily set your sim to be locked at 30 fps, and the only difference between a 30Hz monitor and a 60Hz one would be that the latter would pick up the same frame for two of it's cycles. This is the part that I don't understand the difference of why the 30Hz (they say) would be better.

• Upvote 2

the only difference between a 30Hz monitor and a 60Hz one would be that the latter would pick up the same frame for two of it's cycles. This is the part that I don't understand the difference of why the 30Hz (they say) would be better.

yeah i'm with ya on that one, i have yet to hear a detailed explanation about why it would be any different at all. i'd love to see a side-by-side comparison though.

a lot of people seem to like that particular setup, i have been following a few threads about this on these forums. i get the impression that people say it reduces fluctuations in fps. who knows, maybe there is a bug with p3d where it uses it's resources more efficiently when limited by vsync instead of limited by the framerate limiter..ideally the same frames would be calculated either way..

cheers

-andy crosby

Howdy

Mostly when using BIG monitors or tv's for gaming, 4K resolutions make it possible. That's really it !

I have two Samsung 4k curves, 78" and 55".

With over 30+ years simming I've tried just about every kind of setup. For me BIGGER is better !

Large 4k curved screen tv's are amazing !! Particularly when flight simming.

I also might add, for me a significantly better experience @60hz

Cheers

I use a 46" 1080p Samsung for my simming using DSR.  It's cool but I'm wondering what it would be like if the monitor itself was 4K.

It would be much much more clear.  Small text would be easier to read.  Smooth lines, etc.