Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Benefits of using a 4k TV?

I sit just 4ft from my 78" curved. Close enough for TrackIR. The immersion is amazing !!

I can run this display fine with just one gtx970 and still get a little msaa no problem, however SLI allows me to bump up to sgss and with a little improved performance.

Steve, how do you manage to get TrackIR to work on a TV that large? Since I assume that you're mounting the device on the top of your TV. I was considering getting TrackIR but for this reason I heard you will get a lot of dead zones since using such a large TV would result in the sensors not being picked up since the device has to be mounted much higher than a smaller monitor.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Angle the TrackIR sensor down a little ... I also added better (slightly larger) reflective tape to my 3 point TrackIR hat clip ... working well.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob what brand of tape did you use and if you don't mind could you post a pic of how you mounted your TrackIR to your tv?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Just stick the sensor on the top as if it was a normal monitor and then point it down a bit. It doesn't require much setup or thought, it just works.

Chris

Hi Guys, I've been thinking about a 48" curved 4k tv for flight simming but am wondering how does it perform for everyday pc use? I'm referring to standards like word and excel.. internet surfing. Do I need a separate monitor for those applications?

Just picturing how hilarious a word doc would look on a 48" screen!

Morpheous

Jim Vasto

48" curved 4k tv for flight simming but am wondering how does it perform for everyday pc use?

I have 43" 4K TV (not curved) and I work full time with it.  It does take some getting used to.  At first, it feels like you're sitting in the front row at a movie since you can't really focus on the entire screen at once.  In fact, when I first got it, I tried it for a day and hated it, almost returned it. But now that I'm used to it, I love it.

I would highly recommend getting a program called display fusion which spilts the one big monitor into multiple smaller monitors.  Each has it's own task bar, you can maximize windows within each virtual monitor, click a button on title bar to move windows back and forth between virtual monitors, etc.  I have my set up as two 1920x2160 virtual monitors, which works great for office applications and web browsing.

However, I don't think I would recommend going larger than 43".  48" might be too big.

I second display fusion. I went from 3x24" to a 50" 4K tv. I use display fusion to divide the screen into multiple virtual desktops. Each has its own task bar and you can maximise windows in each desktop. You can make as many desktops as you want in any size. There are loads of custom options too. It is like have multiple screens to work with. Worth every penny. I now use various layouts depending what I'm doing that are all saved and can switch between on the fly. Bear in mind 3840x2160 splits nicely into 4 screens of 1920x1080.

Chris

OK thanks guys, display fusion is the way to go, but how does the resolution compare to a typical monitor? blurry text compared to lets say a Dell ultrasharp?

Morpheous

Jim Vasto

I was in the same boat as you before getting my 4K TV. I went from a 30" 2560x1600 monitor to a 55" 4K TV and it's amazing! Worth it to me. I use it for gaming, surfing and photoshop, web and video editing. It works awesome. Although it will take some time to get use to it. I especially love it for flight simming and gaming. Makes the experience so much more immersive when playing games on it. My TV is very sharp and I can see everything clearly. I was mainly worried about this too, but in the end it worked out much better than I expected.

Hi Guys, I've been thinking about a 48" curved 4k tv for flight simming but am wondering how does it perform for everyday pc use? I'm referring to standards like word and excel.. internet surfing. Do I need a separate monitor for those applications?

Just picturing how hilarious a word doc would look on a 48" screen!

Morpheous

Morph, with limited space in my office the ratio is the same, whether your using a traditional sized monitor @ 1080 or  larger 4K. but the difference is the clarity. At my age, using cheaters (reading glasses), even the 25" or 19" or 27" shows lines of resolution...the 4K monitor does not. Plus there is enough screen real estate to open several docs. One 50 inch 4K is like having four 25" 1080p screens. A GTX Titan/s, 1070, 1080 or the new Pascal Titan will run a large 4K screen just fine. Multiply cards by two and you may be able to multiply large 4K screens. In fact there are examples on YouTube!

Of course the pictures below, (which includes a 1080p version of YOUR post on a large 4K TV), are in 1080p and no way reflect the mentioned clarity.

Todays 4K TV's run mulitple refresh rates including 30HZ and 60Hz @ YCbCr444 as opposed to the lesser RGB!

comp1.jpg

comp2.jpg

• Upvote 1

4K at 30hz has brought the same eureka moment in P3D that the half refresh Vsync tweak brought to FSX. Being able to force the sim to run at 30fps in full screen and no need for any external AA has really transformed the experience for me. I always struggled to obtain smoothness in P3D at 60hz when the frames dropped at heavy airports, but a constant 30fps is however achievable with a bit of care and I'm a very happy bunny now. Anyone who isn't on board with 4k/30hz is really missing out. 

• Upvote 1

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

I think Rob explained in another thread why 30 HZ VSYNC on and with unlimited FPS and tripple buffering is more smooth than 45 fps on a 60Hz solution.

But my setup as above is smoother as Rob stated ad the GPU cant be at 60 fps all the time sadly.

SLI hates drops in fps outside your refreshrate in VSYNC. Also sadly

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Does sitting so close to a large 4k TV for several hours at a time not hurt/ have adverse effects on your eyes? I heard that monitors v tv's are better for your health when sitting right up against it at a desk. Not sure if that is an old wives' tale??

Squinting at a small monitor for hours at a time may be more harmful to your eyesight.

Sitting for hours in front of anything at a time is going to be harmful to your health in general!