Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Benefits of using a 4k TV?

I recall a lot of folks telling me that my mouse would feel horribly laggy at 30hz. Frankly the only way I can distinguish between 30 and 60hz (my monitor supports both) is to look into the display settings!

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

I'm still puzzled at why some get a mouse lag issue at 30Hz.  I've run my Sony 4K at 30Hz and 60Hz and mouse motion has been identical ... my only thoughts:

1.  Use default standard OS mouse drivers (mouse trails disabled)

2.  Use a USB mouse (not a PS2 mouse)

3.  Check GPU drivers (maybe DDU and re-install GPU drivers from scratch)

4.  Make sure the monitor is set to the correct input mode (as mentioned above)

Cheers, Rob.

I am using a Logitech G700 USB Gaming mouse. Switched my TV from 60HZ to 30HZ mode,  there's a logitech software app that starts up. with my machine and allows for it to have its own unique settings for each game. If I use the default drivers, my mouse will act even worse and without working to its full potential for other games as well. I've already re-installed my graphics driver a few times when the new version came out, and I have a similar TV to you Rob. Could possibly be a wrong setting in it. Not sure, since there's a ton. I've tried switching from RGB to Chroma 4:4:4, etc.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I get the same thing Aaron with everything mentioned above also...TV in PC mode and so on...

My best results so far are 60HZ's with frames internally limited and color set to YCbCr444 on a single 1080 GPU! Of course things might 

change when I add another card!

Yes, for my particular setup, I find that running in 60Hz is better. I know I have V-sync and triple buffer on in P3D, but I'm not sure what I set my framerate limiter to. I think either 60 or unlimited. I'll have to check later.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I have a 40" 4K monitor (not TV) that's capable of 30/60hz and I run it locked at 20fps and 60hz using two 1070's in SLI. No AA settings at all in either NVCP or NVI and the visuals and performance are superb. I do not run 4096 textures however, just 1024 or 2048 - no issues yet. I tried 30hz unlimited and just didn't like it. Each system is different and my setup seems to work best with 20/60 , no vsync, no HT and AM=15.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Vic and Aaron,

I miss my 6 core 12 thread i7 990x CPU...but that was on an x58 platform. My new build in my sig. runs best @ 27 FPS locked @ 60Hz, HT on and NO

affinity mask , no vsync, no HDR lighting and 4096 textures, in 99% of my flights which consist of low and fast NAP of the earth and GA flights.

Refresh capabilities  are 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 59 and 60Hz all with YCbCr444 Output color format! In the below video, all sliders are Ultra except water

and shadows which are one notch below ultra plus all shadow boxes and water boxes ticked ON.

I think my addons range around 150. Running @ 30 Hz, on my set seems to dull the lighting and lags the mouse and hat-switch with a very fast

Couger 700M Mouse...The video is just for fun in 4K...

Rockstar nice video and for those of you with 4K TV's, Should you use RGB FULL or Chroma 4:4:4? I'm currently using RGB FULL on my TV.

I'm running with no Affinity mask now, HT on... 4k @ 60HZ

Chroma 4:4:4 can open up more TV/Monitor adjustments ... this can be both a good and bad ... some of those adjustments are intended to be used with "Movie" data streams and not PC/GPU data streams.  RGB Full often (not always) reduces the available TV/Monitor adjustments ... adjustments will vary by TV brands/models.

I'd experiment and see what looks best ... normally you'll need to adjust color balance, back panel levels, contrast, brightness, etc. for each Input type ... most TV's should save the setting "per" input type (Chroma or RGB) automatically.

I highly recommend you go thru monitor calibration process for each Input type ... give the monitor 15 minutes to warm up before doing any calibration.  Calibrations are like finger prints and will vary from monitor to monitor, location, room temps, outlet power, etc. etc.

Cheers, Rob.

Good morning

Please forgive me in advance if this has already been answered ....

I am seriously thinking about purchasing a 4K TV for my simulator but I do have a couple of questions I'd like answered if possible

1. Is it worth getting a curved screen to simulate that 'wrap around' effect or stick with a flat screen?

2. I am at present using 3 x 26" screens spanning P3D ... and without a doubt I do get more peripheral vision using 3 screens over just a single screen ... Would I still get the same amount of vision say on a single 40" / 55" TV screen?

Thanking you in advance

Paul

1. Is it worth getting a curved screen to simulate that 'wrap around' effect or stick with a flat screen?

I have a curved myself and love the wrap around effect.

The effect itself is pretty subtle but it is definitely there.

It's really a personal call.

Many people don't see any need for it and for them flat is just fine.

2. I am at present using 3 x 26" screens spanning P3D ... and without a doubt I do get more peripheral vision using 3 screens over just a single screen ... Would I still get the same amount of vision say on a single 40" / 55" TV screen?

Do you mean the field of view the sim is showing on screen (which of course varies with zoom ratio)?

gb..

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hi Gboz

Thank you for coming back to me so quickly

Yes ... The field of view is what I mean ... Ok .. I know you will never get full right/left views by spanning over three screens but without a doubt you do see more than with a single conventional 27" screen without adjusting the zoom facility

I was just wondering if you see a similar amount of vision as with spanning over three screens ...without zooming out

Hope that makes sense

Paul

I have a 40" 4K monitor (not TV) that's capable of 30/60hz and I run it locked at 20fps and 60hz using two 1070's in SLI. No AA settings at all in either NVCP or NVI and the visuals and performance are superb. I do not run 4096 textures however, just 1024 or 2048 - no issues yet. I tried 30hz unlimited and just didn't like it. Each system is different and my setup seems to work best with 20/60 , no vsync, no HT and AM=15.

Vic

Well here is a totally new variant  :smile:  I will give it a try for sure . My SLI hates drop in FPS below Monitor refreshrate ()so maybe this could be a solution

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I was just wondering if you see a similar amount of vision as with spanning over three screens ...without zooming out

Yes. Or no. It depends how WideViewAspect is set. But it doesn't matter because you will probably want to adjust the zoom anyway.

If you have WideViewAspect OFF you will see exactly the same view horizontally (edge to edge) but you will see a lot more of the picture vertically (top to bottom). So you'll see more of the instrument panel if you use the VC. Of course the picture will also look smaller (a lot smaller on a 40" display) at the same zoom factor because the display is narrower. So you will probably want to zoom in a bit.

If instead you have WideViewAsepct ON, you will see much less horizontally (edge to edge) but you will see exactly the same vertically (top to bottom). In other words, you will be zoomed way in compared to where you started. So you will definitely want to zoom out a bit (or a lot).

In either case you will need to adjust the zoom to get the same picture you had before. By 'same picture' I mean things will be the same size as they were on your old screen, while the perspective and your perception of distance and speed will look the same as before.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I know with DX 11 that all of the display memory doesn't necessarily count against the 32 bit 4 GB limit but in DX 9 FSX it certainly does.

This was a long-held belief of mine, but if it were true, FSX (or any other DX9 application) would be unable to run in DX9 with any video card with 4GB or more VRAM, yet it does just fine with 4GB and 6GB cards that, by this theory, should exhaust all the available RAM with the hardware address mapping to the video card.  I don't know if it's capped, or if some kind of paging scheme is used, but clearly all of the video card's VRAM does not block system memory space.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case