Sign in to follow this  
Toonfan

A2A C182 unflyable in P3Dv3 - anyone else?

Ok, before you all come at me with rocks - I am not an experienced pilot, I am not an experienced simmer.

That being said, I can fly most addon GA planes - favorites at the moment are Quest Kodiak and Ant's Eaglet.

Something in my system does not agree with the A2A 182. On takeoff it lurches to the left and needs almost full rudder to stay in the middle of the runway. In the air it tries to lurch to the left and up causing stalls if I lose my attention. Trying to land is impossible because of the constant need to work the rudder to the extremes (this is probably more difficult for me as I am not an expert).

The issues prevent it from loading in FSiPanel as it stalls before it can be released to my control.

I have tried multiple reinstalls, I have tried virtually every trim setting (serious nose down seems to stop the upward lurch but results in a dive if I don't keep on top of the rudder) and I have looked for similar posts.

There are a few posts of similar problems with the 182, some fixed others not so sure. It doesn't seem to happen with the 172.

I am tempted to buy the 172 to see if it is better but it is expensive and I do not want to waste more money if this is a problem with my system.

Anyone else had similar issues?

You're rotating too early... Let 5-10 kts more build up then rotate and apply right rudder to counteract the left turning tendencies

Oh you also might want to put a little forward pressure on the yoke (keep the nose down), otherwise the 182 will come up off the runway and you'll get the vigorous left bank you describe.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You will not solve your issue buying the 172. The A2A Skylane is indeed more powerful but not a particularly difficult aircraft to drive and is definitely not a wild bronco trying to unsaddle you  ! For that you have to buy the P-51 Mustang   :wink: .

Be sure, as Ryan says, to respect the takeoff and climb speeds, including in taking into account possible strong crosswinds if any. Also, try to balance fuel and load. 

You don't say what kind of controllers you use but be sure that they are properly calibrated and cover the whole spectrum (127 not 64) as P3D requires recalibration at first.

Do not hesitate to go to the A2A forums too, a bunch of nice people there who know the aircraft inside out, are ready to help. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Just had a quick circuit round Sherburn, flies very nicely. If you haven't already, it will be worth getting a good set, I use CH, of rudder pedals as this will make life easier as most accurate aircraft demand correct use of the rudder. It has been said that in a jet, the pedals are somewhere to rest your feet but with a prop on the front that is not the case!

Thanks guys, but I think something in my system is not playing nice with the 182.

I have tried keeping her on the ground until the speed is well past normal takeoff, but as soon as she is in the air the left lurch (serious lurch) happens.

I have the MFG crosswind rudder, which is supposed to be top notch, certainly works for all the other aircraft.

The jets fly fine and other GA fly fine, it just seems to be the 182 which upsets the system - I have also had my first freeze since reinstalling while flying the 182.

Have you checked

- in the maintenance hangar (SHiFT 7)  that something is not broken/stuck in the ailerons, flaps or rudder   ? 

-  in the user interface, whether the rudder or aileron axis is not assigned to two controllers?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

You're rotating too early... Let 5-10 kts more build up then rotate and apply right rudder to counteract the left turning tendencies

Oh you also might want to put a little forward pressure on the yoke (keep the nose down), otherwise the 182 will come up off the runway and you'll get the vigorous left bank you describe.

I couldn't agree more Ryan.  In a recent reinstall of my sim, I applied ActiveSkyNext's settings to coincide with someone else's suggestions, which I quickly discovered were VERY challenging.  After firing up my Piper Cherokee from A2A, I crashed twice trying to get my bird off the ground.  Seems the windspeed at ground level was a bit too high, and I hadn't expected it.  My typical rotation wasn't working and as you say, changing flight habits helps.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I agree with the post above about the maintenance hangar, you could have a broken flap or something.

There is also a post over at A2A about setting up your controls. Basically it says that you should max out the sensitivity for all your axis because the sensitivity adds lag to your control inputs putting you in a situation where you are always chasing your tail. It seems counter intuitive , but it helps...

Might want to look at using the new calibration routines within the sim too, this is totally separate from the windows calibration.

One final thing, I've seen some people using the FSX version in P3D there are problems doing that, you didn't use EMT or anything did you?

Tried fiddling with sensitivity - doesn't seem to help (usual position is max sensitive).

It is the native P3D version.

Have been in the hangar - no difference.

Have set weather to calm - no difference.

Really think there is some incompatibility going on - I might be a poor pilot but this is not as a beast as domkle pointed out, just wondered if anyone else had encountered this.

I'd say you have a strange setting somewhere, what you describe is not a usual complaint for an A2A plane or any plane for that matter, sometimes in past it was P3D's fault, but that was addressed by LM 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Does this happen when you try to take off fly with the mouse yoke or keyboard inputs? Might help you isolate if it's a joystick / yoke problem or not.

I have the A2A 182 in V3.2 and it flies like a dream. But I did crash the sucker on the first takeoff attempt because it does have very realistic flight modeling ...

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

When you guys say it is a realistic flight model - do you mean that you have a constant fight with rudder and joystick to maintain level flight? I can't take my eyes off it for a second or it will lurch out of control, nightmare if trying to look around the cockpit or change a setting.

Will try with keyboard/mouse but i think I disabled the mouse for FSiPanel.

You did do the calibration within P3D?

Some of what you say sounds as if joystick is too touchy. That could maybe be fixed in the P3D calibration. If the fault is not within you controller.

Real flight model, simply put, means the plane doesn't fly like it is on the ground, (or flys like it is on rails, as some say) you do have to control the flight path more but not to the point of "fighting" with it.

Maybe you programmed a button for trimming to the left and its a bad button the has continuous input, or something else.

The point is, A2A makes marvelous planes and the behavior that you are describing should not be coming from the modeling done by A2A.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

i too can not fly the 182... it acts ok on the ground but as soon as apply power it acts like a helicopter that cant crash. no flight model.... i dont know if this related to simconnect issue reported on a2a forums   i just dont have time anymore to test fixes.  Hopefully they will figure it out. using Prepared 3.1  I'll be back if it is fixed

Steve

i too can not fly the 182... it acts ok on the ground but as soon as apply power it acts like a helicopter that cant crash. no flight model.... i dont know if this related to simconnect issue reported on a2a forums   i just dont have time anymore to test fixes.  Hopefully they will figure it out. using Prepared 3.1  I'll be back if it is fixed

Steve

My god Im thrilled Im not the only one! they thought I was nuts at A2a but I found a solution in FSX-se. Instead of loading the trike start with the A2A 182 as the default aircraft. Once I did this..no more helicopter. Try it ,hope it works for you. OP may as well give it a shot as well, nothing to lose

ZORAN