Sign in to follow this  
sascha

Problems uploading to dropbox on Windows Vista

Hi all,

I wonder if one of you computer savvy guys has an idea how I can go about solving a problem I have with dropbox. I can't upload files anymore - it used to work fine until recently. Now the upload just cuts off after about 10 minutes. I can upload to other sites so I suppose it can't be my web connection (which is not so good, I also use WiFi which makes it worse).

Any ideas on where I should start troubleshooting would be much appreciated!

Sascha

Perhaps the installed version of Dropbox that syncs up a folder on your HD will be ok , the browser version has size limits.  I too have DB installed on a machine running Vista but get the feeling I will need to update the OS on that machine sooner rather than later, as much as I like Vista its no longer supported / updated by most addon software like Chrome, etc

Best CJ

Chuck, thank you, you're probably right! But I am very reluctant to allow any external source access to my computer. I use the dropbox to upload my EVO project, and it worked well even for larger files (roughly 300 MB). Now I cannot even upload 20 mB :(

Sascha, I'm starting to use Mega.

http://megasync.en.uptodown.com/

It gives me 50Gb of free storage, & seems to work very well.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Sascha, I'm starting to use Mega.

http://megasync.en.uptodown.com/

It gives me 50Gb of free storage, & seems to work very well.

Robin, thank you! I guess there is no way to avoid cloud solutions in the future. How secure is that system? THey must have some direct connection to my system to allow them to sync with the online cloud, no?

Seems just as secure as the others. Just download the megasync download & run that on all your PC's. There is an Android app as well. Then, as it will create a 'Mega' folder on your PC, just save whatever into that. I'm using it for all my work stuff. I tried dropbox as well as Onedrive (or whatever Microsoft calls it) & Mega seems to be the best.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Ok, thanks Robin!

I wouldn't use Mega, based on the founder's recent Tweet:

"Mega had to survive without a credit card payment processor for almost 2 years now. The air is getting thin. Backup your Mega files asap."

https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/722942842193055745

Ooops! Good call. Thanks for the warning!

Also, from me, thanks for that. Back to Dropbox...

& I've just moved all my stuff from Mega to Dropbox. No issues.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I have a "Dropbox" folder and a ton of sub-folders on my local hard drive in which all of my work-in-progress is saved. They are auto-synched with the off-site Dropbox server so that everyone in Milviz has access to all of my work, and vice-versa of course.

It has been working very well. All of my computers are Win7 Pro though.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator