Sign in to follow this  
christiaan

FSX upgrade to Windows 10

My apologies if this has been asked before.

I have FSX with a lot of add-ons of various sorts ( & FS9 which I hardly use) on Windows 7, if I upgrade to Windows 10 how does it

affect my all my installs.

Do I have to remove the flight simulators before the upgrade, also what happens to other applications like my Logitech joystick,

video card etc, speakers etc etc.

Theoretically everything will still work. You don't have to remove anything. Many folks have done the upgrade with no issues at all. But, other folks have found "problems" of one sort of another. There are so many variables involved in an upgrade that it's impossible to predict what the results for any particular system will be. Chances are very good that all will be OK but a full backup of the existing system is always a good idea "just in case".

If you need a program to do the system backup there is a great piece of freeware here:  www.aomeitech.com/ab/standard.html  .  I've used this program to do a full backup and restore and it works as advertised.

Doug

Edit: If you get some crazy "404" page from the link above (sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't)  just scroll down a little and click on AOMEI Backupper.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

No issues or losses at all with a Windows 10 upgrade.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

No issues or losses at all with a Windows 10 upgrade.

+1, and that's true for 2 flightsim PCs and 2 family laptops.

JJ

I'll throw in my $0.02 as well.  Upgraded a system with FSX Gold, FSX-SE, and P3Dv2x and everything worked just fine afterwards.  As Doug says above, one cannot be 100% sure, so make that system back-up first.  I did, and fortunately didn't need it.

Have fun!

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I used the Windows 10 media Creation Tool from

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade

The link is at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 & scroll down a bit to "Download tool now" .

This worked far better, for me, than trying to upgrade by clicking on the toolbar icon.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

The only real issue I have run across is that I have to remember to be in windowed mode (Alt+Enter) when I start and end a session or else I won't see the loading progress page or ending buttons page.

Thanks for all your suggestions, not yet decided what I will do as there are other issues not related to FSX to consider, like old Office works etc and other addons.