Sign in to follow this  
06R

Back into flight sims with P3D v3

Its been a very long time but I am finally getting back into flight sims.

I have spent 15+ years flying MSFS but had a gap for the last few years as I did not have a PC capable of running the newer stuff (laptop only!).

So I have got myself an i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz and a GTX970.

I intend to get one of the new Pascal cards early next year. 

Downloaded Rex Texture Direct w/ Soft Clouds and ORBX Global.

I presume that's the most common set up people are running?

I am getting a fairly solid 60fps so quite happy with that.

Now looking to get some aircraft, always enjoyed the 737-800 on FSX so would be interested to know which supplier has the best model?

Anything else I should be doing?

Lastly, I don't currently have any kind of control device other than KB and mouse - so looking for a stick - any good ones out there?

Hi...

Welcome back...

I believe the crowd favorite would be the PMDG 737 - but - many people like the iFly versions as well from Flight1... PMDG is very expensive - iFly is more reasonably priced...

I've used CH Product HOTAS controls since the earliest "gameport" days - I've been very happy with the products - they are built tough and last a long time - they are middle of the road in price...

Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Spend the extra money and get the PMDG. It is an aircraft that you can fly every day learn something each time you fly it. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Welcome back. I'll add another vote for the PMDG 737NGX and CH controls.  If you want to try a little less-expensive option for the controller, take a look at the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  -   Doug

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Welcome back. I'll add another vote for the PMDG 737NGX and CH controls.  If you want to try a little less-expensive option for the controller, take a look at the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  -   Doug

I had an Extreme Pro 3d and about 5 months ago retired it for the Thrustmaster 16000 M which is a hall effect IC controller. No drift at all and it has a great feel. I found the 3D Pro spring action much too stiff for accurate control in landings.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I  agree that the Extreme 3D Pro is a little "tight". I've been thinking about a spare (need on of those for everything.... :smile:) so, I just ordered the 16000M. Thanks for the tip - I never knew this one existed.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Thanks was thinking of going with PMDG 737 so will take a much closer look at that now.

Also, a quetsion regarding REX.  Am I doing this right... I open the REX software and load a profile I like the look of.  Then next time I fly I can just go straight into P3D directly and it will still have the last set of clouds etc that I used via their own launcher.

Sounds about right, you can also create themes of your favorite textures and load with one click. This is a good way to organize the textures that you like.

Tip:

- backup your default textures so you can easily revert back.

- select the optimum texture resolution (clouds/runways etc...) from the configuration menu, might save a few fps depending on your system.

Jd

Thanks.  Was not sure but sounds like I am doing it along the right lines!

Interested to see what the new stuff from Thrustmaster is - read about it last night.  Should be announced in the next couple of weeks I think.

Just an update, I went with the PMDG 737.  Really good so far, only had an hour or so to play about but detail is way way above that of the FSX model.

Only thing I need to get sorted is how to use the flight computer as I used to use GPS for nav on FSX, lazy I know.

:D