Sign in to follow this  
OldFlyboy

I am embarrassed about asking this but.....

After a complete reinstall of everything, including the operating system, I installed FSX and FSX-SE.

Now that all is done, do I use FSX-SE exclusively ? Lots of good reports about STEAM but I am still a bit confused about how the two interact. I realize that some addons might not work with SE but that is no problem.

In short: I have been "flying" MS Flight simulator since it appeared on my Apple 2E (remember the green screen?) and am slow to move on to this new approach.

Some education will be appreciated.

Regards to all.

Neal Howard

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Not really sure I understand your question...

Do you want to have different setups, etc.? If not you should just choose one, they are completely independent from each other...

I dont think there are any add ons that wont work with fsx-se. There is no point in having them both but if you choose fsx-se then you should format your drive to completely get rid of FSX or you may have problems with residual registry paths.

ZORAN

After a complete reinstall of everything, including the operating system, I installed FSX and FSX-SE.

Now that all is done, do I use FSX-SE exclusively ? Lots of good reports about STEAM but I am still a bit confused about how the two interact. I realize that some addons might not work with SE but that is no problem.

As Carlos said, the two do not interact. 

If you have addons that don't work with Steam, you may want to keep FSX:BOX.  One example is FS-Recorder; some people have gotten an old version to work with Steam, others have not.  Older addons may need some tweaking to work.  I have both installed, but I think there are fewer problems getting older addons to work if you only have Steam installed.  This is because Steam uses some different folder & file names if it detects an FSX:BOX install.  Older addons won't recognize or use the changed folder/file names.  But if Steam alone is installed the folder and file names are kept the same, and you will have fewer problems with addons.

Some addon manufacturers have updated their installers to allow their products to work with Steam.  Two examples are PMDG (NGX, 777 and certainly the upcoming 747 v2), and  FSLabs Concorde.  ASN also works.  So you will want to check if there are updates for your preferred addons and use the most recent versions.

With Steam, you need to run the three "legacy" simconnect installers or else some addons won't work.  The installers come with FSX:SE and are located in:

... steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces

If you already have both FSX versions installed, you probably need to uninstall both, make sure your registry is clean of any reference to either one, and then reinstall the Steam version.

Also, as a general rule, don't install FSX (any version) in a Programs folder.  Steam does this by default, but it can be redirected.

Hope this helps.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I dont think there are any add ons that wont work with fsx-se. There is no point in having them both but if you choose fsx-se then you should format your drive to completely get rid of FSX or you may have problems with residual registry paths.

There are some that do not work. Reality-XP is one.

There are some that do not work. Reality-XP is one.

Yes but its been superseded by the fantastic GTN 750/650 which does work.

The only add on that is a bit dodgy is the pmdg JS41 but its being ported over. IMO the OP is far better off with the better optimized fsx-se and remove FSX and the main reason is ORBX does not support side by side installation. ORBX will work only on one or the other. Currently it will install in FSX but not fsx-se as it uses a different registry path when side by side

ZORAN

Yes but its been superseded by the fantastic GTN 750/650 which does work.

The only add on that is a bit dodgy is the pmdg JS41 but its being ported over. IMO the OP is far better off with the better optimized fsx-se and remove FSX and the main reason is ORBX does not support side by side installation. ORBX will work only on one or the other. Currently it will install in FSX but not fsx-se as it uses a different registry path when side by side

Most aircraft do not have a GTN while a GNS430/530 is very common. Not all of us want to simulate something that is rarely found in real life, and I personally dislike the design of the GTN and some lack of features that the older models have.

Most aircraft do not have a GTN while a GNS430/530 is very common. Not all of us want to simulate something that is rarely found in real life, and I personally dislike the design of the GTN and some lack of features that the older models have.

Its also rarely found in real life a pilot flying a 777 in boxer shorts with beer in hand :lol:

• Upvote 1

ZORAN