Sign in to follow this  
Flexman

Speedbrake Lever in the way - Leapmotion

Hello, I know there's a post about this issue appearing after some update.

Now that I'm using Oculust Rift and Leap Motion, the problem with the Speed Brake being in the wrong position when stowed, has become an issue. When you use Leapmotion and Oculus Rift, you use your hands and fingers to "touch" every switch and knob in the cockpit. Now that the speed brake lever is so low, it covers some CDU keys and it's impossible to press them without touching the speed brake lever.

Is a fix for something like this impossible in this point in time?

Omar Josef
737/757/767

Any answer in this Forum is going to be nothing more than speculation. I would submit a ticket to PMDG at - http://support.precisionmanuals.com. You might need to register first before logging in to support. The eCommerce and support logins are different. Just copy/paste paragraphs 2 and 3 into your support ticket.

Crikey, I'd be happy at this stage that you have a working soultion...at all....mustin grumble.

Must be pretty difficult using the leap hand?

Would image the Oculus is pretty cool with head tracking working?

Not quite sure what the issue even is here...

"Wrong position" as determined by...?

Moreover, neither the sim nor our product in it were designed for the Oculus.

Kyle Rodgers

"Wrong position" as determined by...?

As determined by where the Speedbrake Lever rests in the real airplane when it's in the down position.

How is the NGX "frames per second" in Oculus RIft? Is it satisfactory?

It's just PERFECT. The cockpit size feels just perfect. You're in there! Frame rates in the oculus rift are hardly a problem when you have a decent computer. I doubt the requisites of P3D with an Oculus Rift are different than P3D on a normal screen. You have to know that head rotation isn't always camera rotation, as there's a dome larger than your field of view, and when rotating your head in it, you're just rotating rift FOV, but not actual in sim camera FOV. If you go beyond that dome, you notice less than 90fps as p3d camera has to rotate, but when you're in it, it's very smooth. There's zero lag. It actually feels like your head is in the cockpit. That dome is large enough to cover the main panel and overhead. Now, head translation does move the camera, so that's game fps, not rift fps. My computer is not bad, so I haven't had a problem. No nausea at all (as long as I fly responsibly).

The gauges and even the small text are perfectly readable. I can even set the minimums on the PFD withoug having to lean in. CDU is perfectly readable. You can import floating windows inside of P3D, so you can use Navigraph charts or even the browser without having to take the Oculus Rift off. The way the mouse cursor is implemented in 3d space is also very natural. It takes a little getting used to, but in a few hours, you'll find yourself running through flows as quickly as you'd do in the real airplane: You just look and click.

The bottom line is, P3D and the Rift are made for each other. I would never use the sim with a normal screen ever again (not even for IFR training).

VR for flight simulation is a big deal. A BIG BIG DEAL. I cried a little the first time I put that visor on and saw myself actually inside that cold and dark cockpit. I've been using flight simulator since version 5.0

Omar Josef
737/757/767

As determined by where the Speedbrake Lever rests in the real airplane when it's in the down position.

Source?

Kyle Rodgers

Source?

Again, if this can't be corrected, it's no big deal.

QLVQ0tc.jpg

Omar Josef
737/757/767

I would tend to say that your camera position may be slightly "wrong" - not the actual lever position.

I'm no Oculus Rift user, but I'd suggest you try to adjust the general view point, if at all possible.

I would tend to say that your camera position may be slightly "wrong" - not the actual lever position.

I'm no Oculus Rift user, but I'd suggest you try to adjust the general view point, if at all possible.

That's not how the rift works. With the Rift, your camera is your head. In order to use the CDU, you have to move your head in ways you don't have to in the real airplane. That's what I'm saying. In the real airplane, if you lean towards the CDU, elbow on your knee, you see the whole keyboard. In the NGX, the lever covers some keys.

Omar Josef
737/757/767

yeah, different camera position. Agree with Gunnar.  Note the radii of the pedestal: different angles.

moot point, Kyle asked for a reference.  Pictures from the internet will never be considered technical references.  PMDG had access to Boeing when the model was developed, and they rightfully want to see vetted references before they accept data that would change what they have in place.

Dan Downs KCRP

It's just PERFECT. The cockpit size feels just perfect. You're in there! Frame rates in the oculus rift are hardly a problem when you have a decent computer.

What good news! Oculus and similar devices are the future of flight simulation.... BTW, your pictures of the speedbrake in the RW and in the NGX are pretty clear, show clearly the position of the speedbrake in the NGX is too low... But the NGX is a "work in progress", not a finished and unchangeable product... They will launch the 2.0 somewhere in the future, hopefully after the 747 V2 and the DC-6.... So, I think they will take your observation into account...

Perspective is almost impossible to match now that I don't use ezca.

Still... look at it! count the screws on the sides of the speedbrake guide. Look at how much bigger the stab trim guide is. I know it must be have been very hard for PMDG to model a cockpit that feels real without having measured every length and angle in a grounded 737. The cockpit feels close to the real one, but just on a normal screen, like we've been using for years, but now that I'm "inside" that cockpit with Oculus Rift (you're underestimating when I say "I'm in the cockpit") and given that I've spend enough time in the real airplane to know where the speedbrake lever is when my hand is on the CDU, you should at least consider that I have reasons to post this.

I don't know. Maybe there are variants. Maybe that distance is something an operator can decide on. Maybe maintenance can choose to fit a bigger stop for the lever. I don't know. All I'm saying is that I know the cockpit is not 100% precise, because it doesn't need to be. But at least, things like these, which are obviously an issue when you're inside the cockpit in VR, should be considered.

vxvGsAQ.gif

Omar Josef
737/757/767

But at least, things like these, which are obviously an issue when you're inside the cockpit in VR, should be considered.

vxvGsAQ.gif

Not sure it's worth an update from them. It's not like they were taking into account vr headset usage when they were developing it from 2008-2011

~William Genovese~

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg         KAB200_sig3.jpg