Sign in to follow this  
Flexman

Speedbrake Lever in the way - Leapmotion

Not sure it's worth an update from them. It's not like they were taking into account vr headset usage when they were developing it from 2008-2011

That's what I suspect. It's not that big a deal though. Seriously, you guys can't possibly imagine what it's like to fly these things with Oculus Rift. I almost had second thoughts about continuing my pilot training... and then I took the Rift off.

That cockpit is a lonely place! I almost feel like I'm doing something very illegal when taking off in a 737 with no second pilot.

Omar Josef
737/757/767

you guys can't possibly imagine what it's like to fly these things with Oculus Rift.

Omar,

I think I can, I flew one of the CAE electric B737-900 sims a while back.  PMDG has done an excellent job.  I'll pass along something my IP told me when I was getting checked out in the C-47 (DC-3), "you may need to adjust your seat". :smile:

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

That's not how the rift works. With the Rift, your camera is your head.

Yeah, I figured as much. Nevertheless, there's got to be a way to "adjust the seat", like Bluestar put it. The view of the Oculus Rift has got to have a point of origin as well, doesn't it?

As a workaround, would it help to put the lever in the armed position? Would that be enough to temporarily move it out of the way? Not very realistic, of course, but that wouldn't interfere with flying the aircraft.

Are you using FlyInside or simular?  Yes the Rift is head tracking, but it must have a determind head height or scale, or a location to start from.

I have used the rift DK2 and it is possible to make yourself bigger or smaller.

Guys, trust me, it's not the camera. The lever is just in the wrong "up" position, period.

This is what's happening. See the physical stop circled in red? That's where the speed brake take-off warning switch is. That thing is correctly modelled in the NGX. In the real 737, the lever, when pushed fully fwd, stops there. What's happening with the NGX is that the lever continues to pivot into that thing. The lever is correctly modelled but the rigging is not. The lever is traveling FWD more than it should.

You can see for yourself. Just place the camera next to the speed brake from the side, push it forward, and you'll see it going as if that chunk wasn't there. Shouldn't be hard to fix. It must be a single value in some text file.

t8jsbAr.jpg

Omar Josef
737/757/767

The lever is correctly modelled but the rigging is not.

Please put this in a trouble ticket at PMDG Product Support...., this is the only way to ensure that someone looks at it and if validated it gets put into the bug tracking system. There will be a lot of forum posts between now and when PMDG assigns resources to a NGX update so be sure to document it as suggested.

Dan Downs KCRP

I will. I'll let you know how it goes.

oit6toS.gif

i4CsJH6.jpg

Omar Josef
737/757/767

I sent a ticket already. Here's a better depiction of the problem.

vIutGIN.gif

• Upvote 1

Omar Josef
737/757/767

He's quite correct - even without rift, and using something like EZCA or Opus - for preset views, you have to create quite a strange view and position to be able to see the CDU without the SpeedBrake lever obscuring things.

And as is animation shows its corrupt in that its passing through solid metal.

Its a shame the concept of the Operations centre, which was supposed to enable a more simpler update for small fixes hasn't really taken hold - and we still tend to have major release updates with full installs when and if PMDG look at a revision - as the OP says its probably a very simple few values in a file somewhere that changes the amount of movement.

Its a shame the concept of the Operations centre, which was supposed to enable a more simpler update for small fixes hasn't really taken hold

...yet.

Kyle Rodgers

...yet.

I always expected it would eventually - perhaps the 747 is the trigger for that, something Im so very excited for - nice big proper plane that you actually fly!

While I can see the brake lever looks wrong, since you're not using EZDoc would adjusting your eyepoint in the config help at all?  Just a thought.  I could imagine that there will have to be a more general solution to these kinds of things since there are tons (no pun intended) of airplanes with throttle quads blocking gauges, etc.

Off topic, but...what about eye strain and comfort with the Rift?  I've heard that at least eye strain would be a real issue.  Also, on long flights, doesn't it get warm?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

While I can see the brake lever looks wrong, since you're not using EZDoc would adjusting your eyepoint in the config help at all?  Just a thought.  I could imagine that there will have to be a more general solution to these kinds of things since there are tons (no pun intended) of airplanes with throttle quads blocking gauges, etc.

Off topic, but...what about eye strain and comfort with the Rift?  I've heard that at least eye strain would be a real issue.  Also, on long flights, doesn't it get warm?

My seating position when using the rift is the position a real pilot would have while at his station. Yes, you can lean to the side and around to see the key, but the problem is the clicking with leapmotion (you use your actual hand in the air. It's impossible to press the CDU key without arming the speedbrake.

I've had no issues with the Rift. I'm not a super long flight kind of guy but I've flown probably 3 hours without taking it off once and it does not get warm anywhere where your face touches the headset. Summer is coming, so we'll see how sweaty my face gets when it's hotter than it is now.

No eye strain. At all. You need a good graphics card though as, in order to make all screens readable at normal seating distance, in an airplane like PMDG's, you need to set a very high resolution. I've a 980ti and it works perfectly. Should have waited for the GTX 1080 probably.

Omar Josef
737/757/767