Sign in to follow this  
torium

DTG Flight School - Approach & Landing Lesson

When I say "looking great" I'm not necesarilly just talking about how it literally "looks", but how the content is. As an instruction video I think it's quite good.

I DO understand what you mean, but I still do not agree. Simply go into your FSX and use the flight school of FSX once and you will instantly see that it is basically the same. They even did not change the green arrow pointing into the direction of the airfield. Really only small little cosmetics. In the end, they took some things from MS Flight, put it together with their FSX:SE edition, used an ORBX local scenery and published it as "DTG Flight School". Still, the only real change is the 64bit, and this has yet to show if this is really a game changer or simply "nice to have". You can not even judge if they improved the performance or not, as I will have more than 60FPS in a similar scenario (no weather, no AI traffic, only few cars, no complex aircraft etc.) already now in P3Dv3.2. And by the way, if you look really close, you can even still see the autogen popping, something P3D at least eliminated...

• Upvote 6

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

The part of "Flight School" that is "looking great" according to Alpha Floors post... I do not see anything "looking great" in regard to "content", sorry.

Ah...! Silly me!! I must have been doing the crossword when my instructor was explaining about downwind, base and final. No wonder he looked a bit miffed when I strafed the Tower, beat up a couple of hangars and landed sideways in the Car Park. :Whistle:

Well, then tell me please what you can see in this little advertisement video of DTG Flight School what you will not find in the Flight School of FSX or MS Flight?

• Upvote 3

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

used an ORBX local scenery

I doubt that the local landclass is even Orbx, Orbx would have got the VFR landmarks right, and this is one field where you really do need to know where you are in relation to London CTR. 

WWLFA21.jpg

I don't know! Building a whole simulator to provide instructional content that could be provided by an addon to an existing simulator? Seems to me that the main grip with all Flight Simulators is performance and looking at that video its not delivered. New comers to flight Simulation are going to be put off flight simulation by stutters in game play than seasoned flight simmers are. And as new comers as apposed to these who are knowledgeable, they will not have a clue where to begin to get smooth game play. I would say that the only major outstanding issue with Flight Sim is performance.

I don't think it that good at all. There where obvious stutters and jerks in the game play. Could have been YouTube but I doubt it. If I can produce perfectly smooth Prepar3D videos on YouTube on would think that DTG could!

If you look at the animations in the intro screen (out of sim), the moving clouds are noticeably jerky.  This would suggest that the video compression introduced the stutters... I guess we'll know for sure in about a month.

Even if Flight School (and eventually DTFS) looked EXACTLY like FSX, having it in 64-bit would still be a major upgrade.  With that said, I expect DTG will certainly be adding other enhancements.  I suspect some people aren't going to be impressed until the plane flies out of the screen and hits them in the nose. 

• Upvote 8

I suspect some people aren't going to be impressed until the plane flies out of the screen and hits them in the nose.

Being impressed with something is generally relative to something else or merely lip service. :-)

EDIT: Yeah, I had another look and those stutters are IMO not produced by the video processing but are in fact either game play vsync stutters or frame time variation stutters. Hopefully they can be addressed before the release. They will drive newbies nuts :-)

Won´t have dynamic shadows on the Virtual Cockpit? I thought it would have.

Is this really the last build of the product? I guess the last screens I saw had better visuals than those in the new video.

• Upvote 2

I guess the last screens I saw had better visuals than those in the new video.

They were probably stills out of this pre-rendered crap called advertisement video, showing nice clouds, nice shadows, nice bump-mapping and so on along with the little comment "not ingame footage", ruining the whole effect.

Greetings, Chris

I DO understand what you mean, but I still do not agree. Simply go into your FSX and use the flight school of FSX once and you will instantly see that it is basically the same. They even did not change the green arrow pointing into the direction of the airfield. Really only small little cosmetics. In the end, they took some things from MS Flight, put it together with their FSX:SE edition, used an ORBX local scenery and published it as "DTG Flight School". Still, the only real change is the 64bit, and this has yet to show if this is really a game changer or simply "nice to have". You can not even judge if they improved the performance or not, as I will have more than 60FPS in a similar scenario (no weather, no AI traffic, only few cars, no complex aircraft etc.) already now in P3Dv3.2. And by the way, if you look really close, you can even still see the autogen popping, something P3D at least eliminated...

Stick with P3Dv3.2 then.

There seems to me a lack of dynamics missing, no turbulence effects, head movement, panning in the VC and finally no ground or terrain bumps whilst on the ground after the landing, surely if this is made for introduction to flight school and techniques these features would be obvious.

I wait for more bait, its rather subdued for my liking in this video...

• Upvote 1

tpewpb-6.png

They were probably stills out of this pre-rendered crap called advertisement video, showing nice clouds, nice shadows, nice bump-mapping and so on along with the little comment "not ingame footage", ruining the whole effect.

No it´s not. They were in-game screens.

I guess this video was made in a old build or the graphics are not maxed out.  

Its a New Core system into the community, which is fantastic.  I welcome this with open arms. 

New beginnings will have new teething problems to tackle and hopefully in time master. 

I think it looks really well for early days.  The scenery and distance haze look fantastic. 

At the end of the day its "Flight School"  Learning to fly,  I don"t think we need all the 3rd Party Software pumped into it to Learn how to fly 

I don"t think we need all the 3rd Party Software pumped into it to Learn how to fly 

I think that's the point here, isn't it? We've all already learnt how to fly and that's why this isn't for us.

• Upvote 2

I think that this game,being aimed at beginners, is entirely appropriate. It's cheap, easy to comprehend (these aren't even sim pilots we are talking about) and has decent visuals. Not for me, but I think it hits the mark so far.

Exactly...this.

Dovetail has the entertainment license.  I never considered a flight school "entertaining", so this flight school from Dovetail, is "hey folks learn to fly and find your house while you're up there!"..."rescue the cat stuck in the tree".  Sorry, no way I could take this simulator seriously.  I seriously think they are trying to bite off more than they can chew, since they already have FSX, what would have been wrong with just improving it to what this flight school is now?

Simply go into your FSX and use the flight school of FSX once and you will instantly see that it is basically the same. They even did not change the green arrow pointing into the direction of the airfield. Really only small little cosmetics. In the end, they took some things from MS Flight, put it together with their FSX:SE edition, used an ORBX local scenery and published it as "DTG Flight School".

Yep, have to agree here.  Although, if the ground scenery is from ORBX, it sure looks a lot different than FTX Global, in fact it looks worse.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for the other simulator and see how much of a departure it is from FSX, MS Flight and Dovetail Flight School.  I almost bought into the idea of owning this, but then I saw the price.  For $15, you get the sim and maybe the extra aircraft if you order early enough, but after that, it'll all be about DLC and THAT'S where the moneymaker will be.

I wasn't sure, up until now, that it was possible to polish a terd, but it sure looks like it now.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit