Sign in to follow this  
bernd1151

Auckland to Port Moresby

For this flight I used a plane that we rarely see nowadays. It’s a beautiful British made Hawker Siddeley 121 Trident. It’s a native FS9 bird by David Maltby and upgraded for FSX by ricardo_tv. As it comes with a great VC and I can fly it in P3D, I gave it a new PNG texture for my future adventures.

Our first flight took me from Auckland to Port Moresby and was a lot of fun, especially the last part

We are ready to go

2016-4-10_16-56-21-662.jpg

What a great countryside

2016-4-10_17-1-22-322.jpg

2016-4-10_17-6-1-804.jpg

2016-4-10_17-7-35-286.jpg

Our flight path takes us partly along the Australian east coast. Here we pass by Port Stephens and Nelson Bay. Still a long way to go

2016-4-10_17-25-21-496.jpg

Does anyone still remember what this big square thingie in the centre was used for :-)

2016-4-10_17-33-59-962.jpg

2016-4-10_17-37-57-437.jpg

2016-4-10_17-48-5-953.jpg

I am not sure whether this can be seen clearly, but the Milky Way looked spectacular on my computer screen

2016-4-10_20-25-54-926.jpg

And now the excitement kicks in…landing this thing. For better visibility I switched off all flight deck lighting

2016-4-10_20-42-34-803.jpg

All is well :-)

2016-4-10_20-45-46-31.jpg

• Upvote 2

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Beautiful airplane and airport scenes...love the starry nights!

HLJAMES

Superb shots, great aircraft. Thanks for sharing.

Hans

Thanks a lot gents for your kind comments

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

I have to ask, and forgive me if this is common knowledge, but my stars don't look anything like that. Is there a mod or some CFG variable that makes them really stand out like that?
Nice shots!

Mark

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I have to ask, and forgive me if this is common knowledge, but my stars don't look anything like that. Is there a mod or some CFG variable that makes them really stand out like that?

Nice shots!

Mark

Hi Mark,

no worries, this is not common knowledge, I believe. I found this great texture by accident on a website that offers freeware Hawaii photoscenery. Apparently that website had been redesigned recently and the milky way is not anymore part of it. But by googling it, I just found it on another site by the same author, so I assume it is still the same product. Originally designed for FS9, it also works in FSX and in P3D (I only have the 2.5 version, so any higher versions I don't know).

Here is the link for the free textures with an explanation how to install them:

http://www.fsxaddons.com/addons/detail/fsxprepar3d-milky-way-texture/822/

Bernd

Classic!! :smile: 

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Hi Mark,

no worries, this is not common knowledge, I believe. I found this great texture by accident on a website that offers freeware Hawaii photoscenery. Apparently that website had been redesigned recently and the milky way is not anymore part of it. But by googling it, I just found it on another site by the same author, so I assume it is still the same product. Originally designed for FS9, it also works in FSX and in P3D (I only have the 2.5 version, so any higher versions I don't know).

Here is the link for the free textures with an explanation how to install them:

http://www.fsxaddons.com/addons/detail/fsxprepar3d-milky-way-texture/822/

Bernd

Thanks Bernd this is a cool find!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Does anyone still remember what this big square thingie in the centre was used for :-)

I flew this beauty a while back (in sim of course :smile: ) and have just confirmed that it was a paper moving map with stylus (sadly not modelled in sim)!  From Wikipedia:

The Trident's advanced avionics displayed the aircraft's momentary position relative to the ground on a moving map display on the centre instrument panel. This electro-mechanical device also recorded the aircraft's track using a stylus plotting on a motor-driven paper map. Positional information was given by a Doppler navigation system which read groundspeed and drift data which, alongside heading data, drove the stylus.

I'd read the basic description on David Maltby's site but never thought to look further into it, so I'd never realised quite how cool it was.

I flew this beauty a while back (in sim of course :smile: ) and have just confirmed that it was a paper moving map with stylus (sadly not modelled in sim)!  From Wikipedia:

I'd read the basic description on David Maltby's site but never thought to look further into it, so I'd never realised quite how cool it was.

Thanks, Finlay. I already thought that nobody would ever remember this in those days hugely advanced navigation "tool" :wink:  :wink: . It made the Trident the very first aircraft that could land at British airports in any weather.

Another favourite plane of mine is the De Havilland Comet from David Maltby. It too comes with a great looking VC, so one gets a bit of that vintage aircraft feeling 

Moving map displays! The Tornado had one back in the Nineties! I was a weight engineer at BAe Warton for about 5 out of the nine years I was employed there.

Trident is a classic - great screenshots.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)