Sign in to follow this  
twharrell

Flights over the Southern Pacific

KLAX-NZAA are not really southern pacific flights, more sort of trans pacific. Of note, we try to stay out of Tahiti airspace as the user charges are very high.

They are certainly not Trans Pacific unless they were flying to South east Asia. NZ is closer to the South Pole than the Equator.  I consider them South Pacific flights.  They fly to Tahiti, Samoa and most major Pacific Islands

You do know NZ is in the South Pacific ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Yes I am aware of the location of the country I have spent most of my life in.

I grew up in the south of the South Island and the 45th parallel ran right through our farm. That being the case the bulk of the country is closer to the equator than the South Pole.

NZAA is in fact only S37.

I certainly hope that it is still where I think it is when we drop out of the clouds on our way home from ZSPD on Saturday morning!

grew up in the south of the South Island and the 45th parallel ran right through our farm

Know it well :) , you must have grown up near  Hilderthorpe, you would know Seven Mile road ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Seven Mile road

Off Topic - Have you ever heard the Eagles harmonize that song? It's great.

Just finished a So Pacific ANZ30 NZAA SAEZ trip in the B77L using ETOPS 330 planning. I ended up with significant difference in fuel remaining compared to PFPX planning using ASN, and that's gonna get your attention when the alternate is 5 hrs away.

I did enjoy the Southern Cross and recall the Crosby Stills Nash song, don't think the sim has it quite right compared to google photos of it. Long trip!

Dan Downs KCRP

Off Topic - Have you ever heard the Eagles harmonize that song? It's great.

Even more off topic - I am sorry. The name of the song was Seven Bridges Road not Seven Mile Road. Bridges and Mile are close. They sound almost exactly the same.

Well, it exists another flight on the pacific between US and New Zealand, the flight named NZ28/NZ29 is operated by a 777-200(ER).

I imagine that they use the ETOPS 330, I'm not sure.

Someday I will fly this route in the FSX

Cheers  :wink:

Iván Guerrero

I imagine that they use the ETOPS 330, I'm not sure.

No need.  Flights between US and Sydney can be ETOPS 180, no reason why that doesn't work for US-NZ.  I usually use PHTO and NSTU as alternates enroute.  Also, most would call US-NZ a transpacific route rather than So Pacific.

Dan Downs KCRP

No need.  Flights between US and Sydney can be ETOPS 180, no reason why that doesn't work for US-NZ.  I usually use PHTO and NSTU as alternates enroute.  Also, most would call US-NZ a transpacific route rather than So Pacific.

Here is some info Dan, albeit a bit dated

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/air-new-zealand-to-take-777-300ers-with-330min-etops-365992/

I don't think so, because they couldn't do the flight in this route daily in ETOPS 180, so they would have to use another ETOPS, so I think it would be 240 or 330.

Here I share to you this pictures about ETOPS 180/240 in this flight from "IAH" to "AKL"

ETOPS 180

etops180_zpslbhijcsq.gif

ETOPS 240 

etops240_zpselqsfexf.gif

Iván Guerrero

Last flight was EDTO 290.

EDTO EN-ROUTE ALTS PLANNED:

IAH - KIAH - HOUSTON

PVR - MMPR - PUERTO VALLARTA

PPT - NTAA - PAPEETE

RAR - NCRG - RAROTONGA

NAN - NFFN - NADI

OHA - NZOH - OHAKEA

Wrong.  They don't follow the GC route for this reason.  Check out any YSSY-KLAX route from Flightaware and notice the deviation from GC to allow ETOPS 180. I'm not making this up.

Dan Downs KCRP

If you are restricted to 180 then that would be correct. You would plan a route to remain EDTO 180.

Last nights aircraft was 330 certified but planned at 290. A UPR route but close to GC.

Interesting, costs lots of money for the 330 certification.  Here is a RW route that is 180 compliant and within 1% of GC for the YSSY-KDFW AAL trip:  NOBAR B450 TUT B577 CANOL DCT 16N140W 20N134W 22N130W 24N125W 26N120W DCT HMO J26 SUMMY DCT BGS DCT GEEKY BOOVE3.  I have similar routes for UAL and QFA on the KLAX trip.

Interesting to see what other operators are doing.

Dan Downs KCRP