Sign in to follow this  
planenut

Departure Procedure Question

Planned a flight from PAJN to PANC.  DP was the ASORT2 which I used the GTN to load.  The first magenta waypoint was an altitude (430 ft).  It also showed up on the PFD as DTK 265 430' 1NM.

My question is what does that 430' mean to me?  If I remove that 430' from the DP, then the next waypoint is indicated in magenta and the plane will fly to it.

The DP I pulled up on Sky Vector doesn't show the 430'.  It just says do a climbing left turn heading 252° to CGL.  CGL is my first WP in the GTN

Just don't see how that 430" figures into the equation.

Hope someone can splain it to me.  Thanks.

Jim

Yeah, as Michael said, it's a FLOATING WAYPOINT (or conditioned waypoint)

It is subject to you being at 430 feet for the turn to start. 

I didn't check the charts, but let me guess that airport elevation is 30 feet? Am I right?

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Hi Jaime,

You're close.  The airport elevation is 25'.  Juneau, Alaska.  I was using runway 26 with the dp as I posted.  If runway 8 is used it states:  Climbing right turn as soon as practical.  I just wonder where the 430' came from if not shown in the dp chart.

Anyhow,  thanks guys for the clarification.

Jim

The FMC is making you start the turn at 400 feet AFE (above field elevation). 400 feet is usually the minimum altitude to start maneuvering. Naturally, you're not supposed to lift-off and immediately start the turn, note the "as soon as practical". That's where the 430' is coming from!

Those 5 feet difference might be either because it will round it up to the next tenth, or because the Airport Reference Point in the FMC has an altitude of 30 feet.

Hope it makes sense now! :)

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F