Sign in to follow this  
GHarrall

The Tiresome "If it ain't Boeing, Im not going"..........

People who use that term should watch this documentary.

Obviously there are two sides to every story but it makes interesting viewing.

• Upvote 2

Ah, lithium ion... 

Go back to gel cell lead acid or NiMH - the engines have enough thrust to cope with that extra weight..  :Tounge:  he said flippantly.

Don't get me wrong, any battery can turn nasty if mishandled etc.

That was in the first 3 mins of the documentary. Haven't watched the rest of it.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Ah, lithium ion... 

Go back to gel cell lead acid or NiMH - the engines have enough thrust to cope with that extra weight..  :Tounge:  he said flippantly.

Don't get me wrong, any battery can turn nasty if mishandled etc.

That was in the first 3 mins of the documentary. Haven't watched the rest of it.

There is more to it than the batteries......

Like I said though, there are two sides to every story but its interesting viewing

Seriously... Al Jazeera?  

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

You may not agree with their politics (I certainly don't) but some folks feel that way about MSNBC and/or The New York Times also. Like it or not, Al Jazeera has one of the best news organizations in the world.

Doug

• Upvote 4

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Not regarding the batteries, I believe the CFRP (carbon fiber) craze will vanish eventually. It's being proven problematic on both the 787 and the 350. 

The A400M is also not without problems regarding CFRP. There's A HUGE lack of knowledge regarding CFRP use in the aviation industry. The A400M was a "learning" project by Airbus, intended to be used as an experiment to gather knowledge and know-how.

Seriously... Al Jazeera?  

Yeah. What's wrong with that?

• Upvote 1

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Seriously... Al Jazeera?

There had to be someone who mentioned this.

It's like saying "seriously......insert any global news agency here"

• Upvote 4

This is two years old now. Every popular aircraft ever produced had hiccups along the way, that is all part of the process. 787 was a lot of new approaches and the battery is just a very minor part of a very large complicated machine. I've flown in them already and I think they are amazing, I will continue to fly in them again. 

I do agree the 'If It Ain't Boeing' comment is annoying as Boeing and Airbus are apples to oranges, no real comparisons but some common ground, two different companies and two different approaches. Reality is neither company can produce aircraft fast enough to meet industry demand so they are both a necessary part of air travel.

Oh yeah and I would watch Al Jezeera over Fox News any day. It is my view that the USA is the absolute worst nation in the world at Broadcast News. Canada and New Zealand do a far better job. 

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

Maybe you should hear the perspective from where it matters most, the customers. In this case, one of the most demanding customers, Qatar Airways. If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!  

This is two years old now. Every popular aircraft ever produced had hiccups along the way, that is all part of the process. 787 was a lot of new approaches and the battery is just a very minor part of a very large complicated machine. I've flown in them already and I think they are amazing, I will continue to fly in them again.

I do agree the 'If It Ain't Boeing' comment is annoying as Boeing and Airbus are apples to oranges, no real comparisons but some common ground, two different companies and two different approaches. Reality is neither company can produce aircraft fast enough to meet industry demand so they are both a necessary part of air travel.

Oh yeah and I would watch Al Jezeera over Fox News any day. It is my view that the USA is the absolute worst nation in the world at Broadcast News. Canada and New Zealand do a far better job.

This report was far more than the battery though. It goes into the very heart of the accountability and decision making of Boeing as a whole regarding the 787 program. The ex engineers and employees testimony is very intriguing as is the recorded undercover comments from employees in the South Carolina assembly facility.

Maybe you should hear the perspective from where it matters most, the customers. In this case, one of the most demanding customers, Qatar Airways. If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!

Sure, you mean like customers who refuse to accept 787 aircraft built at the non Union South Carolina plant?

Let's not mention the ex faa employees turned Boeing lobbyists or the memos from managers instructing schedule attainment above quality. Even taken with a grain of salt, the entire report is worrying at best

Sure, you mean like customers who refuse to accept 787 aircraft built at the non Union South Carolina plant?

hahaha, where do you get that?? Didn't you watch the short clip? Seal of approval from Mr. Al Baker even 787s built at BSC. 

hahaha, where do you get that?? Didn't you watch the short clip? Seal of approval from Mr. Al Baker even 787s built at BSC.

Wasn't referring to the one particular customer. There are those that won't take them though

Besides, that video is nothing more than opinion. There was no evidence provided to dispute any of the claims in the report, just a speech from an airline head protecting his investment. There was no "smack down" despite the pretty graphics. I was hoping for more substance to refute the claims. In fact, I hope there is a better rebuttal and response from the manufacturer somewhere. As mentioned, it's worrying at best

Wasn't referring to the one particular customer. There are those that won't take them though

Besides, that video is nothing more than opinion. There was no evidence provided to dispute any of the claims in the report, just a speech from an airline head protecting his investment. There was no "smack down" despite the pretty graphics. I was hoping for more substance to refute the claims. In fact, I hope there is a better rebuttal and response from the manufacturer somewhere. As mentioned, it's worrying at best

So what is your evidence that no one is taking them? Have you been here to BSC to see the aircraft that are being delivered to Virgin Atlantic, Qatar, even the ANA R2D2 plane was built here? Please show me your proof. 

Also, it seem you don't know who Akbar Al Baker is? CEO of Qatar Airway who can be pretty pointed what he says about Boeing and Airbus, one of the most vocal and demanding CEO in the airline business. http://www.wsj.com/video/qatar-ceo-slams-airbus-a380-delivery/5EFFF26A-294E-4B55-BD7E-E92A07161CE8.html

Anyway, the report Is out there. It's not up to me to defend it or try and convince anyone of its validity. In fact, as I said originally there are two sides to every story. I would like to hear the other side.

Time will tell as well I suppose.

So what is your evidence that no one is taking them? Have you been here to BSC to see the aircraft that are being delivered to Virgin Atlantic, Qatar, even the ANA R2D2 plane was built here? Please show me your proof.

Also, it seem you don't know who Akbar Al Baker is? CEO of Qatar Airway who can be pretty pointed what he says about Boeing and Airbus, one of the most vocal and demanding CEO in the airline business. http://www.wsj.com/video/qatar-ceo-slams-airbus-a380-delivery/5EFFF26A-294E-4B55-BD7E-E92A07161CE8.html

lol, I'm well aware of who he is. The report stated that customers won't accept SC built 787's

Oh, I see you are a Boeing SC employee? That explains a lot. I would be defensive too. Again the report is out there. I would love to see proof that it's NOT true. That written memos advising schedule attainment vs quality weren't distributed......etc etc

Where is the official response to the Al Jazeera report?

The written responses provided to the program reporter were weak at best

h

Anyway, the report Is out there. It's not up to me to defend it or try and convince anyone of its validity. In fact, as I said originally there are two sides to every story. I would like to hear the other side.
Time will tell as well I suppose.

lol, I'm well aware of who he is. The report stated that customers won't accept SC built 787's

Oh, I see you are a Boeing SC employee? That explains a lot. I would be defensive too. Again the report is out there. I would love to see proof that it's NOT true. That written memos advising schedule attainment vs quality weren't distributed......

Haha it is funny you are very hard headed even when I show you a clip from you claim to know the reputation of, defend Boeing and BSC you still want to believe a documentary! I feel bad for you man, you must have nothing to do but watch a 45 min clip and believing people who make anonymous claims. And where did you get the idea i work for BSC or even a Boeing employee???? :P

Where is the official response to the Al Jazeera report?

Brah! please watch the video!!!! Mr. Al-Baker was answering question referring to the Al Jazeera report that you seem to believe as the Gospel!