Sign in to follow this  
GHarrall

The Tiresome "If it ain't Boeing, Im not going"..........

You said "here" referring to aircraft built in SC. You clearly at least live locally to the plant

Also, there were plenty of people in that report who were quite happy to have names on record.

The Al Jazeera report provides names, documents and it's not my job to prove or disprove. Again, where is the official response? I would love to see it.

I'm quite happy to hear both sides. An endorsement from an airline ceo is not exactly an effective counter to the report

As I remember, an Airbus flew itself into the ground at the Paris Airshow when it was first introduced...didn't the 737 have a rudder actuator fluid problem that cause two crashes until fixed and now it's the most popular aircraft in the world?  Point being, products are improved as time goes on, fortunately this process for the 787 has not resulted in any fatalities.  The air industry is safer than it has ever been,

• Upvote 2

Jeff Callender

There was no mention of this report being "gospel" simply that it was intriguing and at the very least an official response should be provided that is better than the written PR blurb that was provided to the reporter,

A 5 minute marketing statement from an airline CEO does not constitute a factual response to the allegations made by the program.

You said "here" referring to aircraft built in SC. You clearly at least live locally to the plant

Also, there were plenty of people in that report who were quite happy to have names on record.

The Al Jazeera report provides names, documents and it's not my job to prove or disprove. Again, where is the official response? I would love to see it.

I'm quite happy to hear both sides. An endorsement from an airline ceo is not exactly an effective counter to the report

So one thing I have always learned in business, the opinion of one only counts when he/she has a skin in the game. The only thing the report for that documentary wants to do is to make his story shocking in a way so it become news worthy. I can tell you, the CEO of Qatar has said unflattering things about the 787 as well. There are official response as well, obviously something you did not bother to check :) 

There was no mention of this report being "gospel" simply that it was intriguing and at the very least an official response should be provided that is better than the written PR blurb that was provided to the reporter,

A 5 minute marketing statement from an airline CEO does not constitute a factual response to the allegations made by the program.

okay, obviously I am wasting my time. You wanted to see the other side and I have conveyed that to you but obviously don't want to believe what the customer has to say despite 787's being delivered from both Everett and Charleston are still being accepted and praised by the airlines. 

I have seen the official responses. As I said, they are weak at best. To my knowledge they are all written PR pieces and further recorded / televised interviews on the subject were declined. If I was a Boeing senior executive I would want to be on record and issue a very clear statement discrediting each part of the report piece by piece.

• Upvote 1

It's a programme plagued with problems and delays, more than most.

Air NZ is the 789 launch customer; I won't fly it because I don't know whether the quality issues are short or long term issues. Certainly Boeing bled red ink all over the programme. As a result they compromised their previously very high standards to meet the schedules. There are just too many, very basic issues: Wing fasteners, batteries, engines.

Right now if it's a Boeing (787) you ain't going (very high).

http://aviationweek.com/technology/higher-altitudes-cleared-ge-powered-787-747-8-icing

I'd also like to hear a point-by-point rebuttal from a senior Boeing exec before I fly one.

It's a gorgeous aircraft and deserves to be done right. 

• Upvote 2

I have seen the official responses. As I said, they are weak at best. To my knowledge they are all written PR pieces and further recorded / televised interviews on the subject were declined. If I was a Boeing senior executive I would want to be on record and issue a very clear statement discrediting each part of the report piece by piece.

They don't need to discredit the report piece by piece. Just look at the sales and delivery figures, enough said.

Boeing epitomizes everything that is going wrong with corporate America and America in general. Profit and greed, over safety and accountability. Top regulators in all facets of the government, even beyond aviation, who are representatives bought and sold to the corporate establishment agenda. We are in crisis in the US and the situation is unsustainable in the long term. 

• Upvote 2

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Like any documentary it can be skewed in whatever direction that the producers want.

• Upvote 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

They don't need to discredit the report piece by piece. Just look at the sales and delivery figures, enough said.

Yes, of course. Sales and delivery figures are the answer to everything right?

As mentioned above, it is indeed a beautiful technologically advanced aircraft that deserves to be done right. Regardless if you think this documentary is 10% true or 100% true, there are issues raised in it which should be addressed properly. Leaked written memos stating schedule before quality and undercover recordings of workers on the floor saying "I wouldn't fly in one of these" does not look good whichever way you spin it.

Enough said indeed.......

workers on the floor saying "I wouldn't fly in one of these" does not look good whichever way you spin it

Yeah but that doesn't mean much really. It's the same as when a McDonald's worker says he would never eat one of his burguers, doesn't mean they are not safe.

I'm quoting this because I've heard that very comment by many collegues of mine who've worked in aircraft design... "I would never step a foot on that plane", "It's a miracle it's still flying" and so on. This was regarding the A400M, which turned out, it crashed one year ago due to problems with the engines.. .So for now that doesn't help.

I'm not implying the opposite either, you're right it doesn't "sound" right to hear those things from people who are in touch with the aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

This piece from Forbes is a good counter to the Al Jazeera report.

I have said from the beginning there are two sides to all of these stories.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/airchive/2014/09/10/review-al-jazeeras-787-report-misses-the-mark/#5011bbeb2fe1

And another good counter

https://leehamnews.com/2014/09/10/al-jazeera-slams-787-boeing-punches-back-our-scathing-review/

• Upvote 1

I don't like Airbus because they think a computer is smarter than a human, always. (They've been wrong several times).

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69