Sign in to follow this  
patrico

problem starting FSX SE

FSX SE was no problem for a few months now suddenly it will not start. It keeps telling me failed to connect with simconnect  I have also been told I will need to reinstall Steam and delete any add-ons. Surely his cannot be true with Steam

FSX SE was no problem for a few months now suddenly it will not start. It keeps telling me failed to connect with simconnect  I have also been told I will need to reinstall Steam and delete any add-ons. Surely his cannot be true with Steam

This should probably go in the FSX-SE forums, but regardless I would offer this help. 

In your Steam FSX folder (usually in Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\ ) look in SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-XPACK\

You should see SimConnect.msi in that folder. Run this to install the original (legacy) version of simconnect

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

This should probably go in the FSX-SE forums, but regardless I would offer this help. 

In your Steam FSX folder (usually in Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\ ) look in SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-XPACK\

You should see SimConnect.msi in that folder. Run this to install the original (legacy) version of simconnect

Thank you Josh, I have but that did not fix it either ,could you please point me in the right direction  for the FSX-SE forums

First go to Steam menu FSX menu Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Next Install SP1 and RTM simconnect .msi versions, (60905, 61242), X-Pack (61259) and FSX-SE simconnects are installed with FSX-SE.

After that can try renaming dll.xml and exe.xml for a test just in case something in there is causing an issue.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hi Steve

First off all my level of expertise is well below  finding  ant of those files you mention is basally an immiscibility for me, please read my profile 

Hi Patrick,

That's OK, the steam menu is very easy...

Run the steam (desktop icon) app to get to the game menus.

Right-click on the FSX menu choose properties (at the bottom), choose the LOCAL FILES tab.

Verify Integrity of Game Cache is the button at the bottom. - run that and then try FSX-SE.

You said you already tried the simconnect .msi - the X-Pack one - well that's installed with FSX-SE... simply choose the other two install RTM and SP1

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-RTM\SimConnect.msi

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-SP1\SimConnect.msi

double-click those .msi files

next come back and we'll look at dll.xml and so on.

• Upvote 1

Hi Patrick,

That's OK, the steam menu is very easy...

Run the steam (desktop icon) app to get to the game menus.

Right-click on the FSX menu choose properties (at the bottom), choose the LOCAL FILES tab.

Verify Integrity of Game Cache is the button at the bottom. - run that and then try FSX-SE.

You said you already tried the simconnect .msi - the X-Pack one - well that's installed with FSX-SE... simply choose the other two install RTM and SP1

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-RTM\SimConnect.msi

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-SP1\SimConnect.msi

double-click those .msi files

next come back and we'll look at dll.xml and so on.

Thank you very much Steve I suspect the time zones are a big problem for us I am in London (GMT)

and I suspect you are PST -12.

Anyway done everything above  to no avail, so in the end spent all-day yesterday deleting and reinstalling everything, drastic I know  but at least I am flying again. 

This is the FSX-SE Forums...

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

At least it works now Patrick - good job!