Sign in to follow this  
callum112233

6700K Affinity Mask

You always have the luck to have the best overclocking processors .

I really envy you with my 5820@4.3 GHz and HT on. 4.5 Ghz with HT off.

Using 1 screen instead of 3 gives me 100 MHz extra...

The 5960x is not binned little better than normal, your 5820k seems not to be a good chip have a couple that did 4.8-4.9 with Ht on,

The 6700k 1.27v 5.0ghz is very very hard to find

Hi

If you run HT Off you get 200mhz higher CPU clock, run the CPU with higher vcore with same temps.

I run my 5960x 4.7 with HT off 8cores, have a nice boost with the extra mhz.

Have some good 6700k one 4.9ghz 1.34v and a second 5.0ghz 1.27v with HT on.

Tested the good CPU at 1.34v 5.2 HT off with fast 2x8 GB GSkill B-die CL13 3800mhz.

It runs very smoth with AM14 , only raw power.

6600k is lower binned at least 200-300mhz lower clock, if your lucky you find a good chip but Its rare.

P3D 3.2.3 with 980Ti Matrix Platinum on a Maximus Impact VIII

That's some luck you have there with your CPUs.

I still don't think its worth the extra cash to buy a HT and run it HT off for an additional 200 mhz. Maybe if I use my pc solely for P3D, but I don't.

I don't use any Affinity Mask with my 6700K and I'm more than happy with the performance.

Richard Åsberg

I also have a 6700K not O/C, using Steam and HT on - I've had problems with most planes "porpoising" above 4x speed (except for the PMDG T7's, don't know why)

So I tried AM 221 and 228 yesterday, and that seemed solve the problem with porpoising above 4x for all other aircraft, fingers crossed...  But as there still seems to be no definitive answer, I'll keep experimenting with other AM numbers from time to time.

Following this thread.

I got it working with 1.32v but added 0.02v to make it 1.34 just to be on the safe side.

How did you get yours to run stable at such a low Vcore? Mines at 4.80 24/7 no speedstep and I run something way higher than that. When running OCCT to test a thread would fail at lower Vcore settings. What Mobo are you using?

This is interesting.

I switched off HT, increased multiplier to 49x so thats effectively 4.9ghz. Increased voltage to 1.36v and temps still went down more than 10C?!

Yet to test in P3D, but if its going to turn out better in terms of texture loading and smoothness I might actually stick with HT off.

I had no idea HT raised temps by that much honestly.

The fact that HT=ON combined with OC-ing raises the temperatures has been known for long time. HT itself is some sort primitive OC-ing, so activating both HT and OC you're essentially overloading your CPU twice. And It's totally unrelated to AM

The fact that HT=ON combined with OC-ing raises the temperatures has been known for long time. HT itself is some sort primitive OC-ing, so activating both HT and OC you're essentially overloading your CPU twice. And It's totally unrelated to AM

Yes of course I know that. The median for HT off for the 6700k seems to be about 5-10c lower.

On my system though its about 20c lower. Which is why I'm a little surprised.

The threads in P3D don't benefit from HT because they only switch on the same LPs. The underlying resources of the system, i/o, networking and so on benefit from HT quite a bit. So depending on what else's going on with the sim HT might not be able to make much difference to the actual sim performance. HT disabled and ultimate GHz is the way to go for more fps because that depends on the throughput of the rendering job. Same as reducing screen res, turn off shadows, reduce autogen, LOD, allocating at least four LPs, avoiding placing jobs on a core together (in HT mode) and so on, improves fps because there's less going on in the main job.

How much hotter the CPU gets depends on how much extra work the HT mode churns through on a given system. And then it depends on what part of the curve it's in before increasing the overclock. Lower down the curve it's not making much difference (with heat) to enable HT.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

HT is not overclocking at all - it's utilizing additional resources on the CPU to do more work when it would otherwise be blocked. More work = more heat.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I don't use any Affinity Mask with my 6700K and I'm more than happy with the performance.

Man...6700k was born to be overclocked.

Interesting thread.  I have a new high end gaming PC and my processor is

I7-6700K Processor 8M Cache 4GHZ Base 4.2GHZ Turbo FC-LGA1151 Skylake

My MB is

ASUS Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Z170 Skylake DDR4 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 1PCI CrossFireX/SLI USB3.1

So I can overclock.  The thing is why overclock if its not needed.  I have yet to get my P3Dv3+ u and running (ie all my install completed) but my machine is running smoothly as is.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  I have no intention to overclock unless I find I have some need to.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Man...6700k was born to be overclocked.

Thing is, I don't know where to start and don't want to melt my CPU :( 

So i'm running a stock 6700K at max 4.2ghz

The maximum freq. non-overclocked 6700K can achieve is 4.4 with HT on. And keep in mind that it's not stable 4.4, rather an occasional push-up. With good cooler (~$120) you can easily achieve stable and safe 4.7-4.8. The performance gain is terrific. I can easily run FSDT KLAX with 100% AI, UTX, REX, ASN unless overcast comes into play (different story, rather GPU-related) 

Thing is, I don't know where to start and don't want to melt my CPU :sad: 

So i'm running a stock 6700K at max 4.2ghz

Easy-to-read, simple, conservative.

http://rog.asus.com/454262015/overclocking/guide-overclocking-core-i7-6700k-on-the-maximus-viii-extreme/

HOWEVER: Good Cooler is MUST!!!

HT is not overclocking at all - it's utilizing additional resources on the CPU to do more work when it would otherwise be blocked. More work = more heat.

Cheers!

Luke

I realized that, I merely simplified the explanation of the similar processes