Sign in to follow this  
trainut123

dx10 help and advice

I have been reading regards dx10 what does it do I have at present( orbx )on,plus all the freemesh downloads   I find these work wonders I tried the dx10 preview, it made scenery brighter but looked like a false handmade landscape. is there some secret to the settings and will it beat the orbx I have on already its so real .

DX10 Preview is a preview only.  Not fully developed.  Microsoft released the FSX developers before they could finish DX10 Preview.  So agree with above as Steve fixed DX10 Preview as much as he could without violating any license agreements with Microsoft.  Steve's DX10 Fixer Forum is hosted here at AVSIM.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

jim I just checked I am on dx11 shall I leave well alone

No you will still need the fixer to get DX10 working properly in FSX

FSX cannot use DX11 at all.

glyn  so if I try this dx10 will it improve my scenery how can I send a few shots to show what I have already

glyn  so if I try this dx10 will it improve my scenery how can I send a few shots to show what I have already

Turn DX10 Preview on.  This will allow FSX to use some of the benefits of higher technology that your video card provides.  Staying at DX9 for the rest of your life is not good as you own a video card that has the capabilities to run DX10.  DX10 is superior to DX9.

Okay, that said, you will see some anomalies when using DX10 Preview, mainly at airport runways and taxiways (lots of flickering)(fixed in the DX10 Fixer).  You can now turn on "Aircraft casts shadows on itself" and you will see the sun shining in your cockpit.   The scenery textures in DX10 Preview are what you are going to get even with the DX10 Fixer.  But, if you are using scenery that was made for DX9, that scenery may not render or there will be lots of anomalies (things will be black) but the FlightOne Store has a program that you can try before buying and it is called Addon Converter X.  For 20 minutes it will demo and you can see if the program is worthwhile (think it costs around $20).  Then you can use your old stuff from FS9 and earlier.

AVSIM has an AVSIM Configuration Guide (see link in my signature) for the settings you might want to employ with DX10 Preview. 

DX10 is nothing super great.  It won't stop crashes or the blurries or stuttering but the developers said it will give you a 10% performance boost.  Some, like me, have seen it.  Many have not. 

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

ok I have another ask,. does the dx10 improve my orbx insertions   I have installed  (base) (vector) (open l/c) and these are already impressive and further more does this dx11 I have on do anything for them , or should I try to go back to the dx10 ,I don't remember installing dx11 anyway

ok I have another ask,. does the dx10 improve my orbx insertions   I have installed  (base) (vector) (open l/c) and these are already impressive and further more does this dx11 I have on do anything for them , or should I try to go back to the dx10 ,I don't remember installing dx11 anyway

FSX | FSX-SE does not take advantage of DX11.  Currently only P3D does.  So, even if your video card is capable of DX11 or 12, the code in FSX was not developed to utilize DX11.  Only DX10.  To use various renditions of DirectX 11 or 12, your software application has to be coded properly to use that technology.  Most modern games (non-FS) take advantage of DX11 or 12. 

There may be better shadowing of Orbx textures but nothing earth-shattering.  With DX10, you can see white caps on lakes and in the ocean depending on the weather.  You can see shadowing in the cockpit of your aircraft.  Steve's DX10 Fixer improves these conditions somewhat but you have to understand DX10 in FSX/Acceleration is broken and FSX/Acceleration was not developed to take full advantage of all of the DX10 capabilities.  I will never go back to DX9.  Why?  It's like going back into time.  I'm always moving forward.

DX10 is only as good as the eyes of the beholder.  Many do not like DX10 textures or the technology that goes with it and have so stated.  So, when you turn on DX10 Preview with your Orbx textures/scenery, that's what you will see even with Steve's DX10 Fixer.  If you want to enhance your textures, that's what the NVidia Inspector or the display drivers do and we have some recommendations in the FSX Configuration Guide.  Some members go as far as hacking DirectX files (i.e., ENB Series or SweetFX) but these hacks are for professionals because the settings in the initiator of these programs does not work for every one and many will see anomalies in textures and many will see crashes.

If you want to see what is in DX10, please check out the following link from the developers of FSX/SP2 and Acceleration - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ptaylor/2007/10/03/acceleration-and-sp2/

If you want to see improvements to the DirectX technology in flight simulation, I strongly recommend Prepar3D which is constantly being updated.  FSX is not.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

The latest version of P3D is 3.2 and yes, you can leave Orbx and FSX installed.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Question: How do I know which DX version is on my machine and being used by FSX? I recently bought and installed a new graphics card which states it supports up to DX12. Do I assume I have all previous versions of DX?

Question: How do I know which DX version is on my machine and being used by FSX? I recently bought and installed a new graphics card which states it supports up to DX12. Do I assume I have all previous versions of DX?

FSX/Acceleration will only use DX10.  FSX uses DX9 technology.  FSX/Acceleration will never ever see DX11 or 12 but P3D, which is based from the FSX engine/code, is capable as Lockheed Martin has techs who can code the product to use the technology.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

jim p3d 3.2 so is this like another separate flight sim)    ie if you wish no need for fsx. although don't get me wrong I will keep it anyway when I looked at the prepar site yesterday I see 5 different price rangers . which one do we go for , and if you have time why . also does p3d 3.2 come with anything ie scenery planes etc     rgds I just looked again out of the two licences  which do simmers go for 199 or 59.99 considering I only like low and slow with real looking scenery.

rgds I just looked again out of the two licences which do simmers go for 199 or 59.99 considering I only like low and slow with real looking scenery.

No discussions of their licenses are allowed here at AVSIM.  I have the $199 version and that's the one you get if you are not a student or do not meet the requirements of the other license.  Most people do not meet the academic requirement.

I have both FSX and P3D installed.  Many FSX products work with P3D but many do not.  For instance, if you have any PMDG aircraft for fsx, then you need to buy the version made for P3Dv3.  P3Dv3.2 is the latest version and you should not buy any earlier version.  It will be updated approximately every 2 years just like FSX was updated every 2 years (fs2000, fs2002, fs2004, and FSX/Acceleration).  Each version is like a new simulator and products made for previous versions may or may not work with the latest version.  P3D will be updated to fix bugs and enhance the product but FSX is finished.  No more updates.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM