Sign in to follow this  
trainut123

dx10 help and advice

Jim,

is it necessary to specifically install DX10 on Windows 10, or are higher versions backward compatible? I have Version 11.1 currently.

Thanks.

Jim,

is it necessary to specifically install DX10 on Windows 10, or are higher versions backward compatible? I have Version 11.1 currently.

Thanks.

DirectX is already installed on your computer and will use the version required by the application.  If you use FSX, it will use DX10 if you have DX10 Preview enabled.  If you do not have DX10 Preview enabled, then it will use DX9.  If you use P3D or X-Plane, it will use DX11 and hopefully, someday soon, DX12.  The application has to be properly coded to use DirectX10, 11, or 12 and your video card has to be capable of rendering the version of DirectX.  Most modern video cards are capable of rendering up to DX12 if the application supports it.

Windows 10 provides nothing special for DirectX10, 11, or 12.  It's the same as with Windows 7 or 8.1 users.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks, Jim.

I wasn't expecting Windows 10 itself to add anything - and I understood from your previous explanations that FSX will not use anything higher than DX10 - I just wasn't sure if the necessary DX10 files were installed by FSX or were expected to present in the operating system already - and if not, would having DX11 cause a problem.

I understand now. 

Thank you!

Question: How do I know which DX version is on my machine and being used by FSX? I recently bought and installed a new graphics card which states it supports up to DX12. Do I assume I have all previous versions of DX?

Hi Dave,

To see which version of DX you have go into Start. In the box which tells you to search files, etc....type in "dxdiag". Hit Return and a popup screen will show the link. Click it and a dx analysis program shows up. It basically gives you info on how well your system is running, especially those parts which utilize the dx* program.

Sherm

Just setting up new computer with Windows 10 and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 and can't get FSX Acceleration to run in DirectX 10 Preview.  All I get is a Fatal Error message...turn Preview Off and all is fine.  dxdiag tells me that I have DirectX 12 installed, but I understand from this thread that Windows also installs DirectX 10...is that correct?

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Garry Lundberg

Windows 7 installs DX10.  Windows 8.1 and 10 only install DX11 and 12 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/179113/how-to-install-the-latest-version-of-directx.  The highest Direct X that will be used with FSX/Acceleration when DX10 Preview is enabled is DX10 as that is what it was programmed for.  I have Windows 10 installed.  DXdiag indicates I have DX12 install but on the Display 1 and 2 Tab, indicates the levels DX12 supports.  So, if you have Windows 10 installed, you should be okay.  My FSX/Acceleration (Boxed Version) runs great.

What is confusing to you and others is the fact that with Windows 7, Windows 10 was installed and with Windows 7 SP1, DX11.1.  But, if you wanted DX11.3 or 12, you had to install Windows 10.  From my understanding, if you have Windows 10, DX10 products will be supported by DX12 and will use the appropriate DX version as required by the application.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim.  I had checked the Microsoft blog you included and determined everything I had was as it should be.  I tried to think what was different in my FSX from my old build (I had not loaded all my add-on's and 3rd party aircraft yet) and realize I was running in full screen mode.  Changed that and it works normally now in Preview.  Now I can proceed to load all my other stuff and get back to flying.

Thanks again.

Garry Lundberg

Glad to hear you got it sorted.  But it still is strange you are crashing in full screen mode.  That is probably a Nvidia driver issue.  Sometimes uninstalling or just reinstalling the latest driver will fix things like that.  In my FSX w/DX10 Preview (it's called 'preview' as Microsoft did not finish the coding for DX10), I have no issues going from Windows mode to full screen and vice-versa.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

4 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Glad to hear you got it sorted.  But it still is strange you are crashing in full screen mode.  That is probably a Nvidia driver issue.  Sometimes uninstalling or just reinstalling the latest driver will fix things like that.  In my FSX w/DX10 Preview (it's called 'preview' as Microsoft did not finish the coding for DX10), I have no issues going from Windows mode to full screen and vice-versa.

Best regards,

Jim

I agree since I did not have this issue with my old build.  However it's working and I have to run in Windows Screen due to some add-on's I have and I have "Pseudo Full Screen" so it's not an issue.  My first thought was the driver so first thing I did was download a new driver...didn't change anything.  But, as I said not an issue so will live with it until I maybe get P3D.  Now with a better machine I'm not sure if I will go to P3D...after loading some of the Orbx stuff, and with higher settings, things look pretty good.

Again, Thanks for the suggestions.

Garry Lundberg

17 hours ago, flytriman said:

so will live with it until I maybe get P3D.  Now with a better machine I'm not sure if I will go to P3D...after loading some of the Orbx stuff, and with higher settings, things look pretty good.

If P3D goes to a 64 bit application, I would strongly recommend upgrading to it.  So much more that software developers can do with DX11 and DX12 (and maybe soon DX13) plus you'll have about 8 trigabytes of VAS instead of 4GB's.

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim,

Agree...once P3D goes to 64bit it's almost a "no-brainer".  Only issue for me is if the CalClassic Scenery and AI's will work with it.  I do not fly in the modern era, nor to modern airports, nor with modern aircraft.

Garry Lundberg

Most add-ons should work with P3D even if P3D goes to 64 bit.  Add-ons do not have to be 64 bit.  However, there are many add-ons made for FSX and earlier versions of FS that are not compatible with P3Dv3, the current version so there is no guarantee.

Submit News to AVSIM

3 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Add-ons do not have to be 64 bit.

Good news that.  All I can do is hope...guess we'll find out at some point.

Garry Lundberg

Having just purchased the FlightSimLabs' highly-praised and highly-recommended Airbus 320-X, when I first fire it up, I get a window recommending that I run it in DX10 mode and also suggesting Steve's Fixer.

I have a EVGA GTX970 4Gb video card. Will this enable a DX10 mode to run once I purchase Steve's Fixer?