Sign in to follow this  
francispattugalan

ASN as a weather engine for REX 4 Texture Direct with soft clouds

Hi,

So i just got REX 4 Texture Direct with softclouds last night and im just wondering if i can use activesky next as my weather engine direct to REX? 

Yes, use REX to install the cloud textures into P3D that you like the look of and ASN will use those textures to render the weather.

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

Interesting, I have been asking the same question.  Bought the REX4 with soft clouds on the sale and want to know which weather engine folks recommend.  For me I also have ReX essentials + OD with is its own weather engine and apparently I can use that as my weather injector.  It just seemed to me to be a bit cumbersome. 

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

How so Bryan? You open, and click Fly Now.

I haven't tried it yet, I just read the FAQ section on it.

The way I understand it....I install both products.

I then use REX4 to backup my textures, then setup my theme and install textures.

Once my textures are loaded, from then on I start up Essentials and press Fly Now?

If I want to change textures or themes I start up REX4 again and use it to setup textures I want.

Can both interfaces be running at the same time? Or before I use Essential to Fly Now do I have to shut down REX4?

Near CAM3

You are correct about the operations if you change textures using REX 4 first.

But if you are just needing a weather engine you just need to start REX 3 and click Fly Now on the menu bar.

You can run both interfaces at the same if you like, but again in the end to inject weather you will need to run REX 3 only.

I haven't tried it yet, I just read the FAQ section on it.

The way I understand it....I install both products.

I then use REX4 to backup my textures, then setup my theme and install textures.

Once my textures are loaded, from then on I start up Essentials and press Fly Now?

If I want to change textures or themes I start up REX4 again and use it to setup textures I want.

Can both interfaces be running at the same time? Or before I use Essential to Fly Now do I have to shut down REX4?

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Just  to add   you can  use  textures  between  both   addons  rex4  and  rexe  if  you desire,  you just need  to untick  the ones  you  don't  want  loaded ,  and of  course  you cant install the textures   whilst  the  sim is  running

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Just  to add   you can  use  textures  between  both   addons  rex4  and  rexe  if  you desire,  you just need  to untick  the ones  you  don't  want  loaded ,  and of  course  you cant install the textures   whilst  the  sim is  running

ok this will be a challenge at first but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Near CAM3

I have had soft clouds for months and use them with ASN. I just got Rex 4  Texture Direct and have installed the runways, taxiways, airport lights etc, but have not messed with the clouds, since I like the clouds I already have. Is there any benefit to activating the clouds in Texture Direct, or are there any  downsides like FPS issues. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

OK. Please, one more time. I have REX Essentials + SP3 w/hot fix and I have REX Soft Clouds. Do I really need REX 4 Direct to make clouds? Oh, and I paid the FEE for P3D for the Essentials.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Ray, If you are happy with REX Essentials then that's all you need.

If you load your clouds from REX Essentials then load textures from Soft clouds over the top you will get high level cirrus clouds as supplied by REX Essentials and your low level clouds will be the Soft clouds set.

Personally I feel the REX Essentials + overdrive is the better value all round than REX 4 Texture Direct, far more textures available and I feel that the sky textures are better

OK. Please, one more time. I have REX Essentials + SP3 w/hot fix and I have REX Soft Clouds. Do I really need REX 4 Direct to make clouds? Oh, and I paid the FEE for P3D for the Essentials.

Regards,

Ray

Not for clouds. You already have the best clouds in "REX soft clouds." BUT, if you want the best looking skies and different runway lights, then REX 4 is a must have. :wub:

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

You can only have one 'set' of cloud textures loaded at one time. REX comes wth various sets of clouds and you can choose the one you like. Soft clouds is nothing but yet another single set of cloud textures. Which just as well might have been added to REX to prevent confusion. Installing one cloud set will overwrite the other. Simple as that.

If you have and use various versions of REX installed you can select on the option screens which kind of textures you want the addon to install. You can use runways from one and skies from another but then you have to make sure you disable skies in the first and runways in the second. And whenever you install soft clouds you overwrite the clouds of any other addon.

I think it is easier to stick with one texture addon. And releasing soft clouds as a seperate addon was a bit confusing.

I myself usually had one set of clouds and other textures installed and only changed them once a year or so: there is no need to run REX unless you actually want to change textures. And I use ASN for weather so I never needed REX for that. After installing the textures into P3D you could even uninstall REX completely because the textures themselves are copied into the P3D folders and remain there until you overwrite them again.

Nowadays I use the freeware HDE clouds btw with the default P3D sky etc. so I don't even have REX installed anymore. I sometimes think about getting soft clouds though but I like the HDE clouds too much.

Short version for the OP: yes, you can. Install whatever you want from REX, forget about REX from there on until you want to install other textures and use ASN for weather.

You can only have one 'set' of cloud textures loaded at one time. REX comes wth various sets of clouds and you can choose the one you like. Soft clouds is nothing but yet another single set of cloud textures.

Jeroen, this is not strictly true, Soft Clouds only installs the cumulus01.bmp which is used for the low level clouds only.

The high level clouds are different files and you could use REX3 or REX4 TD for these.

The file names are:

cirrus_broken.bmp       
cirrus_broken01.bmp     
cirrus_broken02.bmp     
cirrus_broken03.bmp     
cirrus_few.bmp          
cirrus_few01.bmp        
cirrus_few02.bmp        
cirrus_few03.bmp        
cirrus_overcast.bmp     
cirrus_overcast01.bmp   
cirrus_overcast02.bmp   
cirrus_scattered.bmp   
cirrus_scattered01.bmp 
cirrus_scattered02.bmp  
cirrus_scattered03.bmp  

Finally, some folks who understand my confusion.  Thanks for these inputs.

I think I'm getting an understanding now.  Really, everything should have been put into one interface and be done with it in my view.

Bryan

Near CAM3