Sign in to follow this  
francispattugalan

ASN as a weather engine for REX 4 Texture Direct with soft clouds

Jeroen, this is not strictly true, Soft Clouds only installs the cumulus01.bmp which is used for the low level clouds only.

Correct  and  you need  to tick  the low  level   clouds in rex4  to have  the soft  clouds

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Correct  and  you need  to tick  the low  level   clouds in rex4  to have  the soft  clouds

I still don't understand this issue when you have Soft Clouds and Rex4 texture direct as  two separate programs. I understand that there is a patch where you can combine them both, but I haven't used that yet. http://www.avsim.com/index.php/_/pr-ann/soft-clouds-integrated-into-rex4-texture-direct-r2781

If I have soft clouds, that apparently from what I have read so far, all I get is Low level clouds only.  If I use Rex 4 texture direct, then I get all the higher level clouds. 

cirrus_broken.bmp       

cirrus_broken01.bmp     

cirrus_broken02.bmp     

cirrus_broken03.bmp     

cirrus_few.bmp          

cirrus_few01.bmp        

cirrus_few02.bmp        

cirrus_few03.bmp        

cirrus_overcast.bmp     

cirrus_overcast01.bmp   

cirrus_overcast02.bmp   

cirrus_scattered.bmp   

cirrus_scattered01.bmp 

cirrus_scattered02.bmp  

cirrus_scattered03.bmp  

Now if I install the clouds from Rex 4 texture direct, does installing them at the same time  overwrite or delete the low level clouds from Soft Clouds, so I lose them? I really like the soft clouds and don't want to delete them. Can I have both the high and low level clouds at the same time, or is that impossible? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

You have to make sure REX won't install the low level clouds which it offers alongside the high level clouds and all other textures. I suppose the program has an option screen where you can tell it what to install and what to not install. If you do install low level clouds with REX they will overwrite the Soft clouds (if you had those installed) but if that happens you can simply reinstall the soft clouds once more.

And you ALWAYS have low and high clouds at the same time. REX offers low and high clouds (just as the sim itself does) and soft clouds only offers low level clouds. Whatever you do, you always will have low and high level clouds.

If everything confuses you: simply install whatever you want with REX and then install Soft clouds afterwards. That way you always will be sure that you have soft clouds in the sim.

You have to make sure REX won't install the low level clouds which it offers alongside the high level clouds and all other textures. I suppose the program has an option screen where you can tell it what to install and what to not install. If you do install low level clouds with REX they will overwrite the Soft clouds (if you had those installed) but if that happens you can simply reinstall the soft clouds once more.

And you ALWAYS have low and high clouds at the same time. REX offers low and high clouds (just as the sim itself does) and soft clouds only offers low level clouds. Whatever you do, you always will have low and high level clouds.

If everything confuses you: simply install whatever you want with REX and then install Soft clouds afterwards. That way you always will be sure that you have soft clouds in the sim.

Thanks,  that explains it..... :smile:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I still don't understand this issue when you have Soft Clouds and Rex4 texture direct as two separate programs. I understand that there is a patch where you can combine them both, but I haven't used that yet. http://www.avsim.com...re-direct-r2781

If I have soft clouds, that apparently from what I have read so far, all I get is Low level clouds only. If I use Rex 4 texture direct, then I get all the higher level clouds.

Bob the easiest solution is  to combine   the  2  using the  patch   and  all you got  to do  is  to tick  the low  level  clouds  in rex4  and  that's it   you can choose  whatever   clouds  you want  and  as long  you  got  the tick against  low  level  clouds  you will  get  the soft  clouds  as  well as  the other  set  from rex4

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Bob the easiest solution is  to combine   the  2  using the  patch   and  all you got  to do  is  to tick  the low  level  clouds  in rex4  and  that's it   you can choose  whatever   clouds  you want  and  as long  you  got  the tick against  low  level  clouds  you will  get  the soft  clouds  as  well as  the other  set  from rex4

Yes, I was going to do that, but somehow  I lost the registration number  for soft clouds, which is strange because I am very careful about saving all emails when I purchase something. I need the registration to install the patch. I sent REX an email asking if there is any way to get the registration number. 

This sound like a good plan. After I combine these two,

what does my REX Essentials + OD do for me?

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

This sound like a good plan. After I combine these two,

what does my REX Essentials + OD do for me?

It  will give  you extra  textures  too choose  from,  since  you can  combine  texture  from both(rexe  and  rex4)  if  you so desire  so many combinations  to  choose  from :)

Peter kelberg

It  will give  you extra  textures  too choose  from,  since  you can  combine  texture  from both(rexe  and  rex4)  if  you so desire  so many combinations  to  choose  from :)

Thanks for answering the question.

These are some fairly huge files. It would be nice to be able to not have to load up a GB to get some clouds.

Regards,

Ray

Yes, use REX to install the cloud textures into P3D that you like the look of and ASN will use those textures to render the weather.

Hi Gordon!

Do i need to connect asn to rex 4 texture direct via the general settings and clicking the weather engine?

Hi Gordon!

Do i need to connect asn to rex 4 texture direct via the general settings and clicking the weather engine?

NO - just run rex and install the textures. Then close REX. Then run ASN - that's it. REX does not need to be running after you install the textures if you are using ASN as your weather engine.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks for answering the question.

These are some fairly huge files. It would be nice to be able to not have to load up a GB to get some clouds.

Regards,

Ray

Only one set of every possible texture will be copied into the P3D folder and used by the sim. The sim itself does absolutely nothing with all the REX textures that comes with the program: they only take up space. You can install REX on any disk you want, doesn't have to be the sim disk. In the end P3D will load about just as much data in the sim as with default textures. Having 10 GB of data in your REX folder doesn't mean P3D will load 10 GB of data too.  :wink: You will only have more options too choose from, that's all. (Imho you will have way too many options too choose from... I've been flying with the same clouds for years now and have no need for REX. The skies look beautiful and different anytime anyway.)

OK. I think I got the big cloudy picture now. Thanks everyone.

I see ASN is on sale again today for 30% off. Does anyone think I need this in addition to my REXe +OD, REX4 and Soft Clouds?

Regards,

Ray

I see ASN is on sale again today for 30% off. Does anyone think I need this in addition to my REXe +OD, REX4 and Soft Clouds?

If you want the best Weather engine, yes you need it

Hello Ray

IMO As of this moment ASN is a much better weather/cloud injector than REX Ess + OD, the transitions are smooth as silk, it has many options (probably too many :). Plus you get windshear alerts, inflight METARS and if you tune in 122.00, .02 or .05 you'll get weather services at destination, closest weather station and flight services.

You can also add a pupup weather gauge and some vendors have integrated ASN weather into their cockpit instruments.

Once we get the sp4 for REX Ess +OD, we will have to see which engine is better, and REX is also working on a new weather radar.

Cheers.