Sign in to follow this  
houndog528

Project Airbus A319 Engine Idle Issue

Hello all,

A question about the PA Airbus A319 Version 2.  Is there any way to get the airplane to stop moving on the ground when the engines are at idle?  I mean, other than constantly braking or using the parking brake?  The A319, when fully prepped for a flight, accelerates rapidly with no engine input when taxiing (at idle).  I tested this out to see how fast I could actually get without so much as touching the throttle, and I got up to 60 knots across the ground at idle.  Is there a way to fix this without altering the flying ability of the airplane?  It is a pure joy to fly, as are all the other Version 2 PA Airbuses.  This the only one I have a problem with when taxiing, though.  I looked up the forums on the Project Airbus site, and saw that other users had posted this same question, looking for advice on how to fix it.  PA's advice was basically, "Fully load the airplane, and see what happens.  Otherwise, this is how it handles in real life, so get used to it."  I tried the fully loaded advice (fuel, pax, cargo), and it reduced the speed somewhat, but still was pretty uncontrollable on the ground.  Not to mention the fabulous handling in the air.  It felt like I was dragging an entire fleet of airplanes behind me.  Just impossible to fly, and not realistic at all.  Clearly not the answer.  And, as far as "This is how the airplane handles in real life, get used to it", I cannot believe this to be true.  I have flown on many an A319, and we certainly weren't taxiing at 60 knots, and the pilots certainly weren't toeing the brakes constantly to maintain control.  So, what gives?  I have used the PA A318, A320, A321 (once I learned how to step-climb; essential in this airplane, by the way), and A380, and none of them have this problem.  So, how do I fix this, if at all?  Or should I just "get used to it"?

Thanks,

Houndog

There is an answer to your question. I would recommend searching fsdeveloper.com

You have to be prepared to mess with airfiles... I seem to recall it being table 1506. 

Before that, please check the thrust scalar. This is what appears in the base pack:

[jet_engine]
thrust_scalar=1.20

Change it to 1.00. Somehow, the other 3 A32x are not affected.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  I finally got around to giving them a go, and I was somewhat successful.  I changed the "thrust_scalar" as suggested, and it did not completely fix the issue.  I only slowed me down, to around 40 knots across the ground when taxiing.  However, I noticed something strange.  When I first release the parking brakes, I accelerate very quickly with no throttle inputs whatsoever (the scenario being taxiing out for departure, fully fueled and loaded).  Now, if I were to apply heavy braking (i.e. if I am coming to a required turn but am going too fast to make it), come to a complete stop, release the brakes and let her go (again, with no throttle inputs), she starts to roll, but not as quickly as she first did (I still get up to 40 knots, just not as fast).

I checked all my other PA Airbuses, and they are all at "thrust_scalar=1.00", yet they don't have this problem.  So, I am wondering if this is a weight and balance issue in the 319?  I did test this theory out in FS9 (not the FDE), and the results were as stated above, although I tried it in the A320 which does not have this problem.  So, is it a weight and balance in the FDE thing?  Or do I need to adjust the "thrust_scalar" even lower?  Or is it something else entirely? An installation error, perhaps?

Thanks again for the help,

Houndog

Houndog, you don't say which A319 package you have, but I just tried the EasyJet A319-111 package and it sits still at idle with parking brake off and only 50% fuel in all tanks.

I have the A319-111 in Easyjet and Allegiant livery with no sharklets, and American with sharklets.  I also have A319-132 in United colors, no sharklets.  These are all version 2.2.  I downloaded the A319 v2 package directly from Project Airbus, and then downloaded liveries from here on AVSIM.

Have you checked that your joystick throttle or throttle controller is actually going down to 0%? It may need re-calibrating.