Sign in to follow this  
Hernan1

Can FS9 be installed on a second drive?

Hello everyone.

I have FS9 and has been running very slowly for the past couple of years as I continue to add sceneries and thousands of AI flightplans. I still run it on Windows XP. I would like to upgrade to windows 7 and use a second drive instead of drive C. Will it run on Windows 7 as well? Thanks for your help.

Hi,

I use FS9 under Win7 64bit installed at a dedicated drive F. That works very fine, even better than under WinXP. There are actually only two add-ons that I had to abandon due to problems with Win7, these were the Dreamfleet B727 (some but not all simmers experienced that, too) and FSHotSFX (incompatibility with Win7 commonly known).

Regards,

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Will it run on Windows 7 as well?

Of course it will. The question is, how fast it would start up? I have my main FS on C. drive because it's an SSD disk. Commun hard disks might be or are really slower. I use them just for backups or those with FS installations running rarely like Golden Wings 3.

• Upvote 1

I have had a dedicated second disk (D: drive) for about 8 years - in fact, I'm on my second PC that has had this arrangement. The only programs on the D drive are FS9 related. I have had zero problems with it and am quite sure that it has retained excellent performance, at least partly, because of this. And unlike some other simmers who use Windows 7, I've never had a compatibility problem with any addon, including the DF 727 which is my favorite FS9 airliner

• Upvote 1

Thank you gentlemen. Now I can have my new computer dedicated solely to Flight Simulator and related items such as creating FS videos (YouTuber:1DLFlyer/RSU214) and repainting textures. :smile:

Update: I installed the original FS9 program and transferred all aircraft, scenery add-ons and payware aircraft from the old XP computer to  my Win7 computer. The basic FS9 runs, including all AI and payware aircraft, with the exception of the gauges and add-on sceneries. The gauges and sceneries were also trasferred, but I don't understand why they are not working. I can only assume it is due to the fact I am now under windows 7 environment? I'm afraid I may have to re-install all 430 sceneries again, but I am confused about the gauges. I will appreciate your input. :Hmmmph:

My new computer: Dell Precision 490, Intel Xeon 5130 @ 2ghz, 6GB, Win7 64bit: 

RE: scenery addons.

Did you also copy over the scenery.cfg from the old computer?

Are the paths to your scenery addons the same as they were on the old computer?

RE: gauges

Make sure you do not have ...\FS9\Gauges\Gauges\gauge files.

That is, make sure you copied the contents of the old gauges folder and pasted it in the new gauges folder as opposed to copying the old gauges folder and pasting the entire folder in the new gauges folder.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif