Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

John V, states that any P3D v4.x ports will carry an upcharge fee

John V. has stated that when P3D v4.x comes out of the gate, new port over installers will have an upcharge fee attached to them, and passed onto the Consumer.

That's business.

The question on my mind...with that being...will  virtual 'supply and demand' kick in with any store offerings for the v3.x platform...being that some people will be resitive  to being asked to drop the coin for a port-over installer of their current scenery, going from v3, to v4.  So they might stick with v3.x

So...could a store start bumping up the asking price,  to download a scenery for v3.x?

Ya never know...you might want to start picking up your wish list while v3.x is the top of the P3D food chain....

Human Nature, kicks in...on the side of the seller, and on the other end of the stick...the purchaser.

I will not be buying any other ORBX products other than NA LC and wait until version 4 if and when it arrives.

I think prices will also be increasing on all their products from what I read.

Sean Green

It is my understanding that each new version of P3D is actually like upgrading from FS2002 to 2004 to FSX (a major upgrade every two years).  Within each version is 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, etc., for any fixes to that version, and, those updates are free.  Microsoft would have done the same thing if they had stayed in the FS development business (with a new sim every two years).

The other consideration are rumors that Lockheed may release a 64 bit version (http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112786) and that, of course, would require some major upgrades from add-on developers.  Then there will be the upgrade to the 128 bit version and so on and so on.

Best regards,

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Their no charge upgrades so far have been very generous. He says it'll be a small fee to upgrade to V4. I'm fine with that as I'd like them around for a long time to keep producing sceneries and to do that they have to turn a profit. Their sceneries are great.

Dave

• Upvote 6

The other consideration are rumors that Lockheed may release a 64 bit version (http://www.prepar3d....ic.php?t=112786) and that, of course, would require some major upgrades from add-on developers. Then there will be the upgrade to the 128 bit version and so on and so on.

I suspect that the upgrade to 4.0 will be more painful all around than previous releases. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Without knowing what's involved in upgrading products, no doubt this requires work for which the supplier should be compensated. No one should be EXPECTED to work for free.

JJ

• Upvote 1

If ORBX can provide proof that the upgrade is a product that has been designed to take advantage of new capabilities, the price is justified.  However, so far all that I see is new installer, installing the same stuffs in different platform (judging by the file timestamps and sizes of my FSX install and P3D), while this has some cost to ORBX it's not that much.  

• Upvote 1

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Without knowing what's involved in upgrading products, no doubt this requires work for which the supplier should be compensated. No one should be EXPECTED to work for free.

JJ

Especially for a non entertainment product.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

while this has some cost to ORBX it's not that much.

Care to tell us how much ?

Orbx have a lot of products that require new installers to be built for each new platform, this takes time and time is money in business.

Then you need to factor in the bandwidth costs for everyone DL the new installers.

Isn't V4 the update to a 64 bit sim ?  I was under the impression that this was some time away.....like a year or two at least.

P3D versions are updated every two years and they just released v3.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If ORBX can provide proof that the upgrade is a product that has been designed to take advantage of new capabilities, the price is justified.  However, so far all that I see is new installer, installing the same stuffs in different platform (judging by the file timestamps and sizes of my FSX install and P3D), while this has some cost to ORBX it's not that much.  

"As you know we're almost finished with porting around 130 products to the new quad installers. This has been a monumental task taking over six months and costing in excess of AU$100,000 in development costs"

• Upvote 3

ZORAN

Has PMDG said what their policy is going to be?  I'd like one but they pushed me away with their pricing decision into P3D.  I had two.  Wouldn't want that to happen again.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Orbx have stated that there will be a price increase, starting in June/July. Could we expect P3Dv4, around that time as well? There have been whispers on this very forum, that P3Dx64/v4 isn't that far away. 

Orbx have stated that there will be a price increase, starting in June/July. Could we expect P3Dv4, around that time as well? There have been whispers on this very forum, that P3Dx64/v4 isn't that far away.

..and Rob Ainscough has been conspicuous by his silence, which could indicate a period of testing P3D3.x/4.0? We'll all have to pore over his next vids to see if we can spot anything that indicates its a new P3D version :P

• Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png