Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

John V, states that any P3D v4.x ports will carry an upcharge fee

I suspect the low value of the AUD is killing them profit wise which is why they are up charging their products. Sad though because the lower price has enabled to to buy more airports then I would have otherwise.

Huh?  It only makes sense if ORBX pays their cost in USD or UK Pounds, if their cost is in AUD, with the lower value of the AUD, they actually make more money in AUD.  18% Increase? Well that will make the yearly 35% discount 17% discount.  I am done with buying ORBX products anyway.  Their new offerings do not appeal to me, and I grew tired of installing stuffs that will have a few minutes of enjoyment during take off and landing.  I am running vanilla sim right now, focusing on the planes instead, so far so good.

• Upvote 1

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Huh?  It only makes sense if ORBX pays their cost in USD or UK Pounds, if their cost is in AUD, with the lower value of the AUD, they actually make more money in AUD.  18% Increase? Well that will make the yearly 35% discount 17% discount.  

You also have to factor in the fact that they havent raised prices in almost 10 years, there are alot more fiscal variables that go into it than just foreign exchange rates. Inflation, depreciation, fixed cost, etc are all built into it and I think its fair. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

if their cost is in AUD, with the lower value of the AUD, they actually make more money in AUD.

JV lives in the UK, so i guess he runs Orbx as a AU/UK business, a hand full of the developers live in AU, Jarrad is in Perth and Ed is in Melbourne, his IT coding programmer Ben is in AU also, the rest of them are spread all over the UK and USA, so i guess the bills are paid in all 3 currency's, but as JV stated the prices have not increased since launch in 2006, so it`s relevant and expected that they would go up anyway, us guys down under feel the pinch more than anyone with the low value of the AU/NZ dollar so you Europe and USA ppl get a bargain over us again, i just bought SOCAL for $31 AU yesterday, so what`s that about US $22.

• Upvote 1

tpewpb-6.png

FTX Airports                AU$39.95 US$30  €26  £20
FTX Budget Airports   AU$24.95 US$19  €16  £13

Yes...this is a bit much when you compare to FSDT, Flightbeam, Taxi2Gate, and LatinVFR.

I wouldn't be sticking it to ORBX. Nearly every ORBX addon I have was bought at a discounted rate and I have bought more ORBX addons than probably all other devs. put together. If you have a very powerful system you get a lot of value out of ORBX. Planes are the most important addons but scenery is the next most important after that IMO. I was only ###### with ORBX when I bought about 35 GA airports on sale about $7 each on the promise they would be upgraded to P3D. The upgrade were a very long time coming. Much longer than I thought. To the point that I thought it was BS. But true to their word they did all eventually materialize. So I got a great deal. I think they have the most frequent sales of all devs. and when they have sales they have the deepest discounts. So if your whinging wait for there next sale. I have to give JV and OBRX the BIG Thumbs up. They are in the best 2 or 3 FS devs. I only wish they would patch things up with the developer of CBB7 so I could have an installer for P3D V4 when its available ;-)

No one says you HAVE to upgrade to a V4 if and when it come. You can stick with your V3 and have everything working as normal just like the FS2004 diehards do. 

I do suspect that some of the lesser purchased products and stuff from devs that no longer work with them will not make the jump though.

At some point they do have to turn a buck on new development , even if that development is paying the dev to update it to work for the newest platform. Nobody works or feeds their family for free. Why would anything else be expected?

As far as Mitches original post ,, no I don't think their prices are being jacked up artificially, i think it's more about exchange rates and inflation than anything.

I only wish they would patch things up with the developer of CBB7 so I could have an installer for P3D V4 when its available ;-)

I will check with him what he will do with CBB7.  I think ORBX owns the resources, so I don't think he can use those now. He's doing his own scenery now.

Gordon Madison's latest scenery (wip)...

http://www.airdailyx.net/fsnewsbreaker/2016/3/29/work-in-progress-eastern-sierra-nevada-california

If ORBX can provide proof that the upgrade is a product that has been designed to take advantage of new capabilities, the price is justified.  However, so far all that I see is new installer, installing the same stuffs in different platform (judging by the file timestamps and sizes of my FSX install and P3D), while this has some cost to ORBX it's not that much.

Even then, it does take time to convert it and repackage it and retest it though. Hopefully they'll work on some scripting

Remember the have hundreds (?) of products

Ah, I'm not making a big deal out of it.  There are a lot of airports I wouldn't have gotten if they were expensive.  We'll all weigh it like we do everything else. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I think Robert has stated that updates to PMDG products for P3D would be free for Version 1, 2, 3 but will be a completely new purchase for 64 bit V4.

Wrong.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Let's get back to Orbx updates:

JV has announced the following on Monday:

Let me clarify: we will NOT be charging anything for our products for the next version of P3D. They will be 100% free to use on the new platform. Better still, through the magic of FTXCv3 you won't even need to re-download them.

So there you have it. Orbx will work with P3Dv4 with no upgrade cost.

Blackrat

That could just mean that the next version of P3D is still 32bit :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

No Chris, JV's announcement won't make sense if it was still 32bit.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.