Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Brand new to P3D

Hi all,

Long time FSX user. New PC, new sim - purchased and downloaded P3D pro License last night. Will install tonight, along with a P3D version of PMDG NGX and any of my 'old' FSX addons that came supplied with dual FSX/P3D installers.

Some basic questions though, as a quick read thru the forums suggest that P3D does, like FSX require some tuning. I plan to start out with no tweaks but do I need to install FSUIPC into P3D? I am also not sure on how/if Nvidia inspector should be set up? What else do I need to concern myself with before bombing ahead with installing the new sim? 

My new system is i7-6700K (not overclocked yet), 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz RAM and my original GTX780 Ti Superclocked which I will be keeping for at least a while longer. All plugged into a MSI Xpower Titanium m/board running Win 10 x64 Pro.

I plan to install P3D to it's own SSD, along with all scenery, environment and aircraft addon's that will be added along the way.

Any comments and input appreciated!

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I plan to start out with no tweaks

That's the way to gooooo... get rid of any thoughts re fsx tweaking.

bob

My advice, don't load it up with every imaginable add on at first, like some do, and then have to trouble shoot why it doesn't work properly. Add a couple of items at a time, fly it, and see how it goes, before adding more. In the long run, it will save you much time and aggravation. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Start without tweaks indeed, I don't use any tweak at all, and start without NI, which I don't use either. FSUIPC isn't needed either, I am not sure why you thought it should be...? FSUIPC is only 'needed' when you use its options, obviously. ;) I own FSUIPC but don't use it and I don't have it installed. Never install thing you don't use. ;)

Advice: install the addons you actually want to use one by one and set the sim up using the options within the sim only until things are running properly. Do not start tweaking anything if the sim doesn't run well right away: the shader cache needs to be build up over time and quite often things seem to run better after simply using the sim for a while (due to the cache but also due t you getting used to it all). Trying to fight performance problems with tweaks right away usually is a bad thing to do.

People usually look at everything too closely (and too paranoid) when they have installed a new sim and hence overreact too soon by tweaking and screwing up the sim by doing so. Things that may look not too good at first may (and usually do) 'go away' after a while because you simply don't notice them anymore during regular use.

My advice, don't load it up with every imaginable add on at first, like some do, and then have to trouble shoot why it doesn't work properly. Add a couple of items at a time, fly it, and see how it goes, before adding more. In the long run, it will save you much time and aggravation. 

Good advice.

You don't even need to add the HIGHMEMFIX tweak, it is in by default. Also you may or may not like the New AA. It may look bad to you at first. 

Try running 4 or 8xMSAA in sim settings with 4096 textures and Vsync on with FXAA OFF! FXAA OFF is important because it will blur the text and instruments in the VC.  

If you are still unhappy then NVI 2x or 4x SGSS is the only solution but flying in any marginal VFR weather or IMC is not really doable with good fps. 

Thanks for all the tips. I did end up installing FSUIPC to program some of my controller buttons, mainly for NGX. I found that I could not get it right for all the buttons in the P3D menu for controllers alone.

Not there yet but I am getting the sim to a point where I am very happy. Just a very slight micro stutter I am working out, even where I have high FPS in default scenery and aircraft.. Have not yet overclocked the cpu either.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Just take your time and fly for a while after making changes. With P3D, you'll find that less is better in many situations. Go for a smooth experience and let the FPS fall where they may.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors