Sign in to follow this  
Bionor

I just trippeled my FPS in XP10

Hi!

So I decided to write this post to those who might be struggeling with what apparently was low fps. This might be for a few only since this is a result of my own stupidity and/or neglegance. I've been a XP10 user for roughly one year and I've always been content with the fps I was achieving. Its always been hovering somewhere between 25-35 depending on what ac I loaded up and the current weather. I've never given it much thought because I thought this was where the fps should be considering the complexity of ac's, addons and such. Before I go into details, this is my setup;

i5 3570k@4,4Ghz

16gb RAM

nvidia 780 3gb

XP10 on a dedicated 500gb SSD

XP10.45, HD Mesh v3, w2xp Europe, Norway Pro by tonywob, all Norwegian airports by tdg and a few European as well, SkyMaxxPro3.1.2, FSGRW, RWC, SoundMaxx, a bunch of libraries, some ZonePhoto, Rotate MD80, JarDesign 320/330 and IXEG

So, last week I bought the long sought after IXEG733 and I was quit happy with it. I read reports that fps was on par with the default aircraft and my experience was the pretty much the same loaded up on an addon airport, roughly 30 fps. I flew a couple of flights and then started watching some online videos and I was a bit baffled how smooth its seemed to run. My first thought was that it must be some super OP hardware, but realizing that this was run on hw similar to mine I began suspecting something was off with my setup. I started changing pretty much every setting I could find, but nothing seemed to do anything with my fps except lowering it when pushing them higher(had to check). So, as the sim-guy I am, I did the only reasonable thing a sim-guy would do, I deleted the whole thing and started over.

Now, I wanted to test the vanilla XP and fired it up to se how the fps was on default settings and, yeah, it was around 100fps. My initial thought was, "yeah buddy, something was up, but now its ok". I began installing my addons again, downloaded all new versions of pretty much everything. After all this was done, I fired up IXEG733 to test my new achievement, but dammit all, the fps was back down again to around 30. Crap, my HW suck!

So, I started doing some online research, but found nothing that could shed a light on my situation, except for a suggestion(to a completely different problem) running gpu-z and a resource monitor while using XP. What I saw was my CPU bearly reaching 30% utilization and according to GPU-Z, my GPU was running at a abbysemal Core@640Mhz and memory@400Mhz. I tried doing the same while using other games only to see my GPU now was running at Core@1500 and memory@1000Mhz. This must be it! This has to be IT! How do I solve this? 

Turns out,(and this is what pretty much all of you already must know, hence no such topics in XP-forum:-)), its a simple setting in nVidia CP called Power Managment Mode. Change this from "Adaptive"(which its clearly not), to "Maximum performance" and lo and behold; XP fps trippled in a milisec!! From 25-30 to 70-80 in the IXEG, over a 100 in the Rotate MD80. Even with all my settings almost maxed out, its way above 50 in the IXEG! 

Now I know, most of you already knew this, but this thread is not for you, its for the few others who is as braindead as me! I've even read about this setting in other games, but I never did realize, or at least I forgot, that this setting is changed back to "Adaptive" everytime you change the drivers and chose to reinstall the CP(yes, it even warns you that all settings will be defaulted), but it doesnt tell you that Adaptive is the default...which sucks!

Tom G, finally soaring in the skies at 50fps or above:-)

Cheers!

• Upvote 2

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

Good to hear that you've had such success; thanks for sharing the tip with everyone!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thanx, will check for sure this evening. Even a +20% would be great for me.

I have used Maximum Power and Single Monitor for years.  Actually it is one of the first two changes I change back to, with each driver upgrade. It's probably why I have always enjoyed the best that my system can put out for me.   It's good that you posted this to anyone not availing themselves of these two settings, if they only have a single monitor as well.

Oh, thanks for the heads up. I knew I had my Windows settings for maximum performance, but I noticed that my Nvidia settings were adaptive.

I'm going to test now if it has a noticable effect (which I doubt due to my very old machine).

Edit: Well, lol. Tested that at Presidente Prudente Airport in Brazil (SBDN) whose payware scenery has extremly FPS-affecting grass -- no change in FPS at all. I'm now going to test in a more optimized scenery and report again.

Edit 2: Hm, at KSFO by MisterX6 the FPS have been slightly better. I tested it on tower view watching to the land (not the sea). I'm using 3JFPS control, which is configured to keep FPS between 21 and 24. As you may know, 3JFPS does this mainly by reducing object LOD. With "adaptive" mode, the script had to change LOD to 7.4 to keep 24 FPS. Without "full power" mode, the script achieved the same FPS with LOD reduction to 6.3. So I guess there is a slight effect. (Of course I should have tested without that script at all. Will do that now.)

Edit 3: Without 3JFPS I now checked again. In "adaptive" mode I got about 1.5 FPS less than in "full power" mode.

Conclusion (for myself and my old machine): Use "full power" mode, as the 1.5 can make the difference between flyable and unflyable (i.e. between 19 and 20 FPS).

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

I'm going to test now if it has a noticable effect (which I doubt due to my very old machine).

Actually, I suspect that it has a varying amount of effect based on a lot of different factors, not least of which is the GPU.  On my 980ti, I see only marginal improvement by changing this setting, little enough that it might just be a placebo effect. But I had changed a long time ago for XP as part of my habit of using NI to wring the most out of FSX/P3D. :wink:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I'm one of those brain-dead simmers and like you, am currently getting 25-30 FPS around most dense areas with custom scenery and a lot of plugins.

I'll have to try this tonight as I have a fairly beefy rig, so it's always been surprising to me that my frame rates aren't what they should be.

I'll know in exactly 5.5 hours. :-)

Thanks for the post!

Ray S.

Check out my aviation portfolio:

http://scottshangar.net

Actually, I suspect that it has a varying amount of effect based on a lot of different factors, not least of which is the GPU.  On my 980ti, I see only marginal improvement by changing this setting, little enough that it might just be a placebo effect.

I agree, although I don't think it's a placebo; it's just minimal on the GT530.

However, I'm now doing an actual flight under real-use conditions. It's interesting. My FPS are about 30. That's very high. But the weather is good, just a few cirrus clouds and 77 nm visibility. .... HM, I think I'm going to change weather to cloudy and see what happens ... done. Yep, down to the 20s again.

So, indeed a small positive effect, but eaten up by the clouds very fast.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

hello Friends !

I thought this hint is already "well known", I use this setting since 353.62 or bevor !!

Try to deactivate "threaded optimization", also (don´t know if the OpenGl use this, but this my standard setting for XP10) and If you are at 40-50 FPS, set vertical sync to "adaptiv" (halt refresh rate) and you will expierence a very smooth flying, except some very heavy loaded settings or sceneries ! But most of this "strange" "microstutters" are gone!

Cheers !

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

Interesting thread, many thanks for sharing your findings Tom!

I checked my settings and found out I have it already at "Max Performance". Now that we are at it, how should the rest of the settings read on the Nvidia Control Panel?

Also regarding my system:

- X-Plane 10.45 64bit

- Windows 7 64bit on dedicated SSD

- Dual monitor: a main 1920x1080 screen for XP10 and a 1600x1200 for auxiliary things

- CPU: Intel i7 860 2.80GHz overclocked to 3.80GHz

- GPU: Asus Nvidia GTX 770 2GB (no OC)

- 12GB RAM DDR3 (I believe at 1333MHz but not sure)

With the FF-757, SpainUHD, HDMesh v3: I'm getting about 20-25 FPS. Is this normal for my system or should I have a look into it? I'm thinking of doing a clean reinstall of XP-10

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Try to deactivate "threaded optimization", also (don´t know if the OpenGl use this, but this my standard setting for XP10) and If you are at 40-50 FPS, set vertical sync to "adaptiv" (halt refresh rate) and you will expierence a very smooth flying, except some very heavy loaded settings or sceneries ! But most of this "strange" "microstutters" are gone!

From my experience on a GTX 980:

threaded optimization ON - much better FPS (10-15 fps more), but i get micro-pauses and stutters very often. The same micro-pauses you get when X-Plane loads another scenery tile(s) in flight (more noticable with heavy scenery like UHD Mesh + W2XP, can be as much as 10-20 seconds pause!)

threaded optimization OFF - the extra fps are gone, but i think i find this one better as it gets rid of the micro-pauses for the most part

"Power management mode" setting is little to no improvement on my PC (i7 3930k @ 3.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, SSD, 3440x1440).

Regards,

Radek

This certainly upped my FPS on my GTX980TI. Probably double. I could even run SkyMaxx Pro again! This is by far the biggest framerate killer on my system. It can bring my top of the line 6700K/980TI system framerate down to single digits. Currently running with SMP on at around 30 fps, so happy with that.

Thanks for the advice!

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

That, together with the

- "threaded optimization to OFF" and

- "1/2 refresh rate"

- "texture filtering negative LOD bias to Clamp"

also helped a lot my fps and stability in XP10.45.

Using Nvidia driver version 364.72

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

...and don't forget about traffic, this one alone is a fps hog, I have it a minimum (siberia winter). Also i you have traffic liveries other the default, that may also have a negative impact on fps. Heavy traffic along with World Detail Distance at Very high is a FPS killer.

With these settings I enjoy enough eye candy to keep me happy with a steady 30fps at any airport with any aircraft all the time including the 733. Once exception is when SMP and RW connector decide to reflect current weather, it is then and only then that I get the dreaded 1 sec pause.

System:

Win 10

i7 3770k @ 4.4 w/c

32G Corsair ram / XMP (profile 1) in BIOS

nVidia 970 @ 1300

HT on in BIOS (it does make a difference in my sysem with XP)

24" Monitor

NV control panel:

Driver: 364.72

Power management: Max performance

Single display permanence

Threaded optimization: off

Locked @ 1/2 refresh 

XPX:

Texture Resolution: Extreme

Number of Trees: Filled in

Number of Objects: Mega

Number of Roads: Tons

Number of cars: Siberia

World distance: High

Airport Detail: Extreme

Shadows: 3d on aircraft

Water Reflections: low

HDR 2x SSAA=FXAA

Anisotropic: 16x

DFS: Extended

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo