Sign in to follow this  
bpcw001

Lear 35A Avcon Tailfins

Hi Flysimware,

been flying the Lear a lot, and I must say it is one of the most enjoyable and stable experiences I have had in flight simulator, especially when coupled with a GTN 750.

Now, is there any chance that we might see the Avcon tail fins that are a retrofit on many Lear 35A's that are flying today? See http://www.avconindustries.com/images/uploaded/636088068131357_photo-11.jpg

Thanks

Dave P. Woycek

Unfortunately, my question has not been answered.

As a long time Lear 35 flyer, I am still enjoying her like on the first day, and I would still like to know if there‘s any chance to see the delta tailfins, and maybe even the bigger Avcon/Rx external wing tanks.

Pretty standard mod on the real-world Lear 35A‘s used for medevac.

• Like 1

Dave P. Woycek

3 hours ago, bpcw001 said:

As a long time Lear 35 flyer, I am still enjoying her like on the first day, and I would still like to know if there‘s any chance to see the delta tailfins, and maybe even the bigger Avcon/Rx external wing tanks.

I'm sorry your original post was missed somehow.

Based on other possible air frame modification discussions that have come up in the past (such as winglets) I think it is very unlikely there will be tail fin modifications to the FSW L35. The FSW L35 is closely modeled after a real world aircraft flown by one of the FSW beta testers (Joe, aka "capceo"). As you can imagine, Joe was (and remains) closely involved with the development of the FSW L35 and my understanding is FSW's intent is to model Joe's aircraft as accurately as reasonably possible, both inside and out. By the way, to this end I do expect there will be some future internal updates to the L35.

Interesting you should mention Medevac flights above, as I recently learned that is one of the common missions that Joe files.

Al

Edited by ark

7 hours ago, bpcw001 said:

Avcon's delta fins are a great mod for the 35A. It actually allows the airplane to be dispatched with both yaw dampers inoperative. 

The extended tip tanks are really what the medevac operators are after. They want the added endurance. Most of them couldnt care less about the delta fins, but they're actually a requirement if you add the extended tips, so they have to add them whether they like it or not. Can't have the extended tips without the fins, but you can have the fins without the extended tips. As a matter of fact, the longest range Learjet currently flying in the world is actually a model 36A based in New Mexico. Aside from having the larger fuselage tank that makes a 36 a 36, it also has Avcon delta fins, extended tip tanks, and the Raisbeck ZRLite wing mod, which Lear pilots grudgingly call the "bat wing." In total, it holds around 8,000lbs of fuel, and this added fuel capacity combined with the more efficient bat wing gives it an endurance of almost eight hours, or a zero-wind range of well over 3,000nm. The problem is, nobody wants to sit in one that long :)

I can mention the idea to Mark for the next major Lear update, which is still a few months out. I doubt it, but you never know.

• Upvote 2

Joe - Chief Pilot & Lead Tester - Flysimware Simulation Software

Captain - Gulfstream IV-SP

ATP/CFI/AGI/EMB-505/LR-JET/G-IV

Thanks guys for your update and the real world insight. Don‘t get me wrong, I am fine with the Lear as she is, just a little more range that comes with the contemporary Avcon and/or Raisbeck upgrades would be nice.

Anyway, whatever you decide to do or not to do in the future, at least I now know that the options have been considered.

Thanks for a great Lear 35!

Edited by bpcw001

Dave P. Woycek