Sign in to follow this  
Constantine

Engaging LOC/GS

Hi Guys

I'm having some problems trying to engage LOC  on my Ifly737NG  I get to my  approach speed and level  I'm wondering if it is a problem  of tuning my Radios, I am using the ILS/Freq  stated in the INIT REF FMC but i'd like to know when should I activate my NAV to the new ILS i've read about 30 miles out, really can't think why else i'm not picking up the LOC after armed 

Can anyone advise please

Thank You

Richard

Hi Richard, 

You can tune the ILS into your NAV receiver as soon as you know or expect that you're going to fly that ILS approach. For example, during the approach briefing before top of descent is a good time to tune it.

What's your exact problem? The aircraft is not intercepting the LOC or you don't see the LOC needle/diamond at all?

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Thanks again Jaime

Really when I arm the VORLOC I don't see the diamond at all and it therefore never captures

Thats why I wondered if i was tuning the ILS to the NAV too soon, i've been doing it on descent and also making sure it is the same as stated in FMC INIT REF, strangely the aircraft flys perfectly on centerline over the airport despite no capture of LOC/GS 

Hi Richard,

You can tune the ILS freq whenever you want, but you will only receive it when you're close enough to the airport. In FSX I think that's 25 nm. Make sure the frequency you're setting is the correct one, sometimes old navdata will make you have one frequency on the FMC and another one within FSX itself. To update the FSX navdata you can use this website: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

The actual frequency of the ILS within FSX can be checked in the FSX map. Just double-click over the ILS you want to fly and it will tell you the frequency and inbound course.

Once you're within range, you'll see some white and empty diamonds for LOC and GS. Don't arm VORLOC until you're in an intercept heading to the LOC and within range of the ILS.

Jaime Beneyto

Hi Richard,

In FSX I think that's 25 nm. ... and another one within FSX itself. To update the FSX navdata ....The actual frequency of the ILS within FSX can be checked in the FSX map.

NOTAM to Frank Zappa (or Jim Croce) ..... you are in the FS2004 Forum!  Please keep remarks centered on that simulator.

P.S.

Jim, loved your music ..... Frank, not so much.

NOTAM to Frank Zappa (or Jim Croce) ..... you are in the FS2004 Forum!  Please keep remarks centered on that simulator.

P.S.

Jim, loved your music ..... Frank, not so much.

Mr. Trump,

I'm really sorry I mistook FS9 for FSX. My advice and indications still apply though, just change wherever I said FSX for FS9 and there you go. The website I linked to also has an FS9 section here: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids2.html

PS1: I hope you never make it to US president. God have mercy on us if that happens

PS2: Congratulations on being the first (or second) one to acknowledge Mr. Zappa on my avatar :)

PS3: Your 757 is a great aircraft, just bad taste with all the gold inside :)

Jaime Beneyto

Stunning support Jaimie thanks yet again, i've been using IFly's B747-4 with no probs guess the sensitivities of the 737NG must be greater but that makes it all the more challenging to get it right and that's what fires us up isn't it, anyway i'll follow your good advice again

Sorry to be a pain, could I ask one further thing?

Do you fly the VHHX IGS 13?  i've been doing it previously with IFly B747-4  obviously there is no NAVDATA beyond CH VOR  passing CH  7nm later we proceed to GOLF  in the B747-4  it was possible to gauge this 7nm distance before making a right turn on 045 using the right VOR on the ND which gave a figure of nm past CH however on the 737NG passing CH there is no information on the L or R VOR to indicate distance past CH to gauge this 7nm could I ask how you are judging thye 7nm to commence the turn on 045 ?

Thank you once more

Richard

Sorry to be a pain, could I ask one further thing?

You're not a pain. I'm very happy to help you out where I can :)

Do you fly the VHHX IGS 13?

Sure! In fact, I recorded a video flying that approach:

how you are judging thye 7nm to commence the turn on 045 ?

The thing is, you either have the correct navaids or you don't. If you don't have them, you shouldn't be "judging" distances because you're no longer flying the proper procedure as by the approach plate.

I mean, on a glass aircraft such as the 744 you could "build" the map for the approach yourself using custom waypoints in the FMC; but that's not the proper way of doing it. You should have the navaids required by the chart.

To fly Kay Tak, my advice is for you to look for an addon scenery of the airport that also "outdates" the necessary navaids, so to speak. There's a payware FlyTampa (for FSX at least, not sure whether there is one for FS9) or on the Avsim library.

Or use the search function, I'm sure somebody has asked about flying VHHX and navaids already on AVSIM :)

Regards,

Jaime Beneyto

Hi yes I have the Fly Tampas amazing Kai Tak scenery I guess what my question was is that as there is no NAVDATA for IFly 737NG FS9  as soon as the aircraft arrives at CH  the charts for IGS 13 state 7nm after CH start a right turn and without distances shown on the ND VOR LT & RT  I wondered if there were any other visual references we could use on the ND on the IFly B747-4 the ND right VOR would continue past CH giving nm past CH and I could just watch this until 7DME past CH and commence the turn, sadly IFly 737NG  ND VORS are blank.

Excellent informative video a great tutorial for that great runway, I used to live in Hong Kong from 1969 -74 and my father flew VC10's to Kai Tak numerous times

Thanks again Jaimie

Richard, 

See if this website helps you in adding the navdata to the FMC, On the iFly it says "FSX" and not "FS9", so I'm not sure if this will help you: http://www.vapap.com/kai-tak-airport

If you have the correct Navaids in your simulator, you could still fly the approach Raw Data as your father used to do in the VC10 :)

Have a look at this video by user "vololiberista":

sadly IFly 737NG  ND VORS are blank.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, if you tuned the VOR and set your EFIS switch to VOR you should be able to see the DME on the ND.

As a workaround solution, you can go to the FIX page, enter CH and draw a 7nm circle by putting in /7. This will draw a green dashed circle around CH, just as the one you can see in my video :)

Jaime Beneyto

Yes you should be able to see DME distance from CH on your instruments. Alternatively make the turn (at GOLF) by using NDB "SL" frequency 268. When the NDB needle points 360 degrees you make the turn. It was part of the published procedure.

Peter Schluter

Hi thank you, that's a problem I get no DME info from my VORs  on the IFly B747-4 I used to, but I never get any DME info from Ifly 737NG  hence the difficulty in gauging the 7dme from CH which would be GOLF where i used to make my right turn on 045 to SL NDB

Hi thank you, that's a problem I get no DME info from my VORs  on the IFly B747-4 I used to, but I never get any DME info from Ifly 737NG  hence the difficulty in gauging the 7dme from CH which would be GOLF where i used to make my right turn on 045 to SL NDB

Try the I fly website. DME from a VOR is pretty basic. It certainly works on my ifly 737

Anyway you can use the 360 SL bearing until you get the DME fixed

Peter Schluter

The Kai Tak approach is very much hands on starting with the published hold at Cheung Chau CH. So that at least you should be able to input into your FMC. ATC does (at least PF3 does!) descend you to the correct FAF altitude of 4,500ft when leaving CH. During that descent you cross the NDB beacon Sha Lo Wan "SL" 268Mz. When that is at a bearing of 0/360 you start your turn onto the localiser.

In my video the "fun ie. final approach" starts at around 25mins. Before that I approach CH and take up the hold all done entirely with steam instruments!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3flqD_Ne6g