Sign in to follow this  
TheDanger

ORBX 38% Off May sale

Do I pay full price for Telluride now or wait 6 months? The great conundrum.

If I get SoCal and Norway that's $50, and I can justify a PAJN. Hmmmmm...damn you Orbx for making me choose now!

If you don't get Telluride now...you will actually pay  the asking price as is...then plus 18 percent in the general catalog price increase board-wide.  That's what sucks...so in a way, you will still save money for those airports not under the 38 percent umbrella, only for the sake of saving the 18 percent up-charge that is coming.

It sucks...but it is...what it is....

That's why I had to make a 32/64 bit 'portfolio decision'...and either start purchasing 64 bit conversions for that which I did not yet have in 32 bit....or...stay with my vast monetary investment, and run a 32 bit sim with all my wants fully realized

The only advantage that I see in going to 64 bits, (as vs a 32 bit sim that finally runs smooth and has memory management tweaks, like P3D v3.2.3) is that the sim will be able to utilize whatever max system RAM you have with less chance of a CTD OOM....but, that is the ONLY thing it will do better than 32 bit.  Being 64 bit, does not improve the engine metrics, so to speak. It just allows it full access to your total RAM that is not committed by other running processes.  

I am of course not talking about a totally new sim engine...but a 32 bit to 64 bit comparable under the hood.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to think about that...and my investment in 32 bit scenery and add-on's , with it being just too great a monetary investment....to walk away from, to chase after a 64 bit sim base.  

For someone just coming into the hobby, without a dollar yet spent in 3rdP acquisitions...then yeah...it's a no brainer...like when FSX came out...they came on board and started investing in that sim base.  Sure...but for many of us...truthfully...for many of us that have been here since even before FSX,... are NOT...going to reproduce all that they have running inside their 32 bit environment, JUST for the sake of the sim seeing all their available RAM. That is just not going to happen...letting lip service slide by past the bow of the boat...ain't going to happen.  

Out of curiosity...they will purchase the sim (perhaps like myself)...and add perhaps, some Orbx regions...add freeware...but to duplicate their entire 32 bit portfolio?  No chance...and I'm pressing the B.S. filter on any 'oh yes I will...totally' comebacks...(large smile).  Unless of course, that bags of money litter the floor around their computer desk, and it beats kicking them out of the way if spent,......

........to get to the desk, in a straight line!...lol.   Then it might happen...

Cheers,

So where exactly does this ramble come from, and what does an add-on have to do with the program itself? Like how re you certain that an add-on will not work with a 64 bit version of a sim? (which in turn is a hypothetical one...)

So where exactly does this ramble come from, and what does an add-on have to do with the program itself? Like how re you certain that an add-on will not work with a 64 bit version of a sim? (which in turn is a hypothetical one...)

We will see,...and time will tell...:)

The 'ramble' is just thinking out-loud, and the fingers following the thought line... :)

My gut, tells me that the reason that Orbx is now well ahead of time, upping their entire catalog...is that there is going to be a technical  barrier, that will consume more money, on a present Catalog to Dovetail 64 bit conversion or if needs be, a total re-write of any scenery, region, or airport, than what R.O.I. will generate...and so with that being...the money will still be in the up-charge to their 32 bit base, when people will decide to stick with the majority of their prior investment, and continue to populate their virtual world in 32 bit establishment.

John V claims an expense of $100,000.00 to just create a quad installer, so what total budget would a property conversion, or outright re-write cost the company?

I'm totally open to seeing what up-costs there will be to port a 32 bit scenery product, to run within a 64 bit environment.  My take, is, that in reality, there will be a very narrow window for R.O.I. for such ports as current catalog.  Will the user pay an up-charges for such a conversion, or total rewrite-generation for his current 32 bit favorite?  Again...time will tell, and it will be interesting to watch how it all transpires.  

I think it is a great time, though to capitalize on a total savings of over 50 percent of the future cost of the present ORBX catalog, during this May sale.  I think to take a 'let's wait and see', might end up for most users, to have been a costly $$$ decision, in hindsight.  32 bit, 64 bit, whatever!

No more rambling...:)

Ses

Just a final thought folks...

With the announcement by Orbx of an 18 percent increase or thereabouts this summer...and the fact that we are decision making about further purchases perhaps towards Dovetails new sim,...

that this Orbx May month-long 38 percent sale of current catalog, that is 38 percent BELOW the current and historic asking price, might just turn out to be one of the most important sales events and truly pivotal on many fronts, that a user has ever had the opportunity to purchase wanted and interested in, Orbx properties.

This is the first sales event where one can actually save a realized 56 % over what will soon be the asking price after Orbx advises the Flightsim Store to adjust their entire catalog to an increase of 18 percent higher.

56 percent savings is 38 percent off the current price, and no price adjustment at this time of 18 percent. To the user...a true 56 percent savings over this coming June...

Truly, no other Orbx sales even, withing 10 years, has garnered a savings to the user, of 56 percent when the new price does kick in...and John V. has prepared us all for that event....

One of my new 56 percent off, lol...purchases:  YSCH  Coff's Harbor (P3D v2.4)

2016_5_2_18_23_44_610.png

Think hard about it...and save some $$$'s....while you can!

:drinks: :drinks: Ses, if you aren't a member of the Orbx sales team, then you should be.  If they don't have a sales team, then you should be the sales manager. :drinks: :drinks:

Cheers,

Greg

P.S. Bought KTVL but wasn't impressed.  Got my eye on Blue Canyon now... might suit my handle better. :BigGrin:

P.S. Bought KTVL but wasn't impressed. Got my eye on Blue Canyon now... might suit my handle better.

Blue canyon was a fun climbout in the DukeT. Purely VFR, though.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

:drinks: :drinks: Ses, if you aren't a member of the Orbx sales team, then you should be.  If they don't have a sales team, then you should be the sales manager. :drinks: :drinks:

Cheers,

Greg

P.S. Bought KTVL but wasn't impressed.  Got my eye on Blue Canyon now... might suit my handle better. :BigGrin:

Nope..no affiliation other than they get my money, when they put out something I want, lol.

I just have an 'itch'...that this is going to be the ONE sale that anybody that doesn't kick it in...is going to be kicking their back-side, about three to four months from now.

I was also thinking last night, of someone that just doesn't have the cash ready to pay the plastic man, when he cometh looking for it.....it would still be a savings, to a user, who let's say, gets a personal loan from his bank for $500.00....to be paid back over a year.  Now, most personal loans are in the 7-8 percent range that I know of.  So...if that party were to purchase 500 dollars worth of 38+18 minus 8 percent ( for cost of the loan over a year) the user would still be WAY ahead of the game...with a total net savings of 48 percent in cumulative, than  waiting the next three or more months whilst his or her cash builds, and then deciding to purchase from the ORBX Catalog.  

Greg..it's a great deal right now...considering that a true 56 percent savings can be realized for this month before the up-coming Catalog price increase.  That's why I jumped in on the Australian properties that I had my eyeballs on.  Done deal now..and having a blast flying between them. Australia SP4 is beautiful...but even more so, with custom scenery now within it! :)

Hope you jump on a few...for it's the best Orbx deal yet...looking back as far as 10 years....

Ses

Gregg... I added Blue Canyon last night.  Performs very well, and seems very accurate (been 15-16 years since I last flew into KBLU). 2O1 Gansner and surrounding area is really very nice... been to that airport numerous times.  The package runs very well on my 4790K/GTX970/FSX rig.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another scenery by the folks at Turbulent Designs.

Mitch... you're preaching to the choir, my friend!!  Although, I'm not inclined to borrow money for a hobby.  Just sayin'... but I am looking at Sedona now!

Greg

Mitch... you're preaching to the choir, my friend!! Although, I'm not inclined to borrow money for a hobby. Just sayin'... but I am looking at Sedona now!

I have Sedona and it's good but take a good hard look at the sides of the rock formations in the pics...they're pretty stretched.  Just so you know what you're getting.

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Just curious, as I am almost a 100% heavy iron flyer, so very little low and slow. Would I realize any notable benefit from using any of the regional packs, such as Norway, Australia of some of the USA regions? I currently use FTX Global with UTX Europe, Canada, and USA. The sale is making me think twice about getting some of these packs but it may not make sense (even at the low price) if flying high and fast sort of defeats the purpose. The images look great but perhaps from 30,000 ft. they will not look much different than FTX global looks. Of course, if they greatly elevate the experience of the final approach to the respective airports then perhaps it may still be worth it. Yesterday I picked up Canberra to go along with Flytampa YSSY for a nice short hop and didnt notice any issues blending arounf YSCB without the Australia pack installed. Also, I know that there are some things that need to be done when using FTX Global in conjunction with the regional packs but I am just a tad confused as to what they are. I assume these all play nice together? Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Hi Pete,

Nice to see another AOPA member.... the regional ORBX packs will help provide great scenery during  your climbs and descents into and out of the different large airports, you encounter in these regions.  When you consider the number of large airports (SFO, LAX, SAN, SAC, LAS, etc etc)  in the NoCal and SoCal regions, this could be a HUGE plus.

Have no fear about everything playing well together.  The ORBX Central app easily takes care of everything and is very simple to understand... just remember HYBRID, and you're good to go :smile:

WAT1460.png

Hi Vincent - Gotta love the AOPA! Since real flying is so expensive I am able to justify spending money on all of this fun flightsim stuff! Well, you have me convinced that I need to jump on some of these or else I will be sorry. Are there particular regions you recommend more than others?

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Hi Pete,

Nice to see another AOPA member.... the regional ORBX packs will help provide great scenery during  your climbs and descents into and out of the different large airports, you encounter in these regions.  When you consider the number of large airports (SFO, LAX, SAN, SAC, LAS, etc etc)  in the NoCal and SoCal regions, this could be a HUGE plus.

Have no fear about everything playing well together.  The ORBX Central app easily takes care of everything and is very simple to understand... just remember HYBRID, and you're good to go :smile:

HYBRID in only if he flies out of a region... flying within a region (i.e. North Cali or South Cali, etc.) there is no reason whatsoever to pick Hybrid, as it will be a compromise in quality.

Pete, I own the PNW, all Rocky Mtns and NoCal regions. Keep in mind I am not a heavy iron flyer as I prefer small biz jets and smaller airports. For you, I would recommend starting with SoCal (for reasons already stated). Check it out for a few days and then if desired, buy some more (prior to June 1 :wink: ) . Yes if you depart and arrive in the SAME region, just activate that region from ORBX Central; however I have read on the forums that activating ORBX Global region in Hybrid mode and leaving it set there, causes no issues what so ever.

WAT1460.png