Sign in to follow this  
TheDanger

ORBX 38% Off May sale

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Any of you happen to have Norway and care to comment? I took the family out there this past summer and have a particular interest in this one as well.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Looks like it may be time for some new airports. So, given the one parameter that I only buy airports that you can land a 737 at, what would be your favorite ORBX airport(s) and what is your least favorite(s).

Gregg... I added Blue Canyon last night.  Performs very well, and seems very accurate (been 15-16 years since I last flew into KBLU). 2O1 Gansner and surrounding area is really very nice... been to that airport numerous times.  The package runs very well on my 4790K/GTX970/FSX rig.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another scenery by the folks at Turbulent Designs.

Mitch... you're preaching to the choir, my friend!!  Although, I'm not inclined to borrow money for a hobby.  Just sayin'... but I am looking at Sedona now!

Greg

Well...right...but, as a community 'service' of sorts, lol...just wanted to really highlight,that if anybody liked, or was interested in an Orbx Catalog offering of any type...region, or airport....this really, more than any other time, would be a really great one to grab as many as they are interested in...EVEN if as my example, they didn't have the actual cash at this point of time, to completely pay off the plastic in the following month of June, for what they did purchase, this month.

With the upcoming Orbx Catalog price hike, of 18 percent on June 15th....this is much different from any other Orbx sales event, in the last few years. Prices have been pretty much stable...so you could pick and choose, or wait for one sale to the next.

This one has changed that....and after May 30th...looms...and with a 500.00 loan at 8 percent...the user would still come out smelling like a scenery 'rose'...lol.

Was just my trying to see all my fellow buddy and buddy-etts, grabbing something that truly works out for them, and not  put off, thinking that nah...I'll pick up blah-blah, on the 'next' pass.  You can...but you will pay through the nose next time if you do.........:)))))  June 1rst. 38 percent savings gone.  June 15, tack on another 18 percent....and dat's all folks! :sad:

You know yourself, Greg...some of us grab at a good hand, when they identify one,......and others tend to 'turtle-procrastinate'.  My three or four 'post-nudges' on this thread, was typing to that user, LOL!  :Cuppa:  The nudging is over...and now my flying is beginning...:))))))))

Cheers,  Greg, enjoy your new purchases.  I'm having a blast tooling around Australia's Gold Coast! :) with mine.

Post Edit...and final 'nudge-nudge' comment.  John V is a pretty smooth operator.  One (in my opinion...) of the main reasons that he chose to raise the entire Catalog at this time...that pretty big jump...WHAM...18 percent...is to not have it associated with the RTM of DTG.  Like, no kidding!  It is now plainly in sight, that any and all content that Orbx shall produce for the 64 bit Dovetail flight sim, will be at the new, or perhaps even greater new June 15 price base-line of any 32 bit present offering.  He wants to avoid the one-on-one apples marketing hype of raising his prices for Orbx properties, in timing and conjunction, with the launch date of that new sim.  I'd want to do exactly the same thing, in his shoes, as the CEO. I don't blame him one bit, for people will jump on any new price increase as a profiteering of the new release, with the price squeeze play.

Doing so now...blends into the background any such stark reality....from this June, forward,;Dovetail and on...

Smart marketing strategy.  That's all.   

He is also a fair player...having this sale at this time...in May...just before the launch,  mitigates any financial fall-out over all future price hikes.  He is giving the reader a chance...not only at current prices...but with a pretty amazing (by market metrics..) 38 percent off that present price.  You'd have to be NUTS to not jump in with both feet...and even if you might take a one year to pay personal hobby loan for all that you want.  Populate your 32 bit virtual world now...'cause it ain't ever going to happen again at the present sales offering...for even if he were to present another sale at 38 percent off...there would still be an up-hit of that 18 percent, June 1rst, here on out!!!!

Truly the bottom line...no matter what...it is going to cost more on every level, to go beyond P3D v3x, and into Dovetail land, after this ONE sale's event.  Other Devs are absolutely planning to at least equal a price hike to match Orbx this June 15th. Like duh....but nobody to date wanted to step into the price hike ring.

They now have John V. to take the 'heat' for them...but are they all going to ramp to match? You had better believe it.  That's business, ....just plain business.  People really want to look at the whole 'pic-char....and JUMP on every ORBX region or airport (NOW) that they have at any time, even considered, or shown interest in.  This is Fall...and it is harvest time...wait much longer, and the potatoes are gonna rot in the field... :Shame On You:

Ok..REALLY stepping off the Soap Box with this one....whew...getting older, and climbing up, and stepping off, really cranks the knees.... :wink:

Mitch

• Upvote 1

psolov, on 03 May 2016 - 1:59 PM, said:

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Any of you happen to have Norway and care to comment? I took the family out there this past summer and have a particular interest in this one as well.

Cheers, Pete

Pete. I picked it up the other night. Took off from Tromso and was immediately engulfed in cool mountains and fjords. Well worth the cost. I'm gearing up for a GA tour of Norway.

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

With the upcoming Orbx Catalog price hike, of 18 percent on June 15th....this is much different from any other Orbx sales event, in the last few years. Prices have been pretty much stable...so you could pick and choose, or wait for one sale to the next.

Just to be clear, the 18% raise only is listed for individual airport scenery packs. The region packs are going up by 10% only

• Upvote 1

Even though I do own quite a few products 38% is a great deal BUT, I may have skipped a few posts and not read this if someone has mentioned it earlier in this thread.

"Is the 38% discount going on to grab as many sales as can be had because P3d may also going to P4d and the 32bit becomes obsolete and we will all need to purchase P4d 64bit compatible products"?

Nick Sciortino

"Is the 38% discount going on to grab as many sales as can be had because P3d may also going to P4d and the 32bit becomes obsolete and we will all need to purchase P4d 64bit compatible products"?

IMO, You are seeing enemies where there are none.

Wellll, doubting that.  I can be suspicious too, but he could have had a fee on the P3D3 installers too but decided not.  I have a lot of possibilities in my head but that one's not one of them. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Even though I do own quite a few products 38% is a great deal BUT, I may have skipped a few posts and not read this if someone has mentioned it earlier in this thread.

That may be, or not be,...but that is alright too.  For those like myself, that are finding the latest version of P3D v3, a very smooth and acceptable experience, and might no longer feel the 'performance pressure' to go into the 64 bit realm in search of smoothness from the next version of whatever...this sale, at this time ROCKS!

Personally, I have retired my wish list compiled over the last 3 years, or so.......and put it to bed with this sale,  regarding  Orbx, and other 3rdP dev's that were also for two weeks, on sale, such as LatinVFR.

I am now in a very good 32-bit place...and feel no pressure to abandon my 32 bit investment at all.  Lockheed Martin finally broke through the performance, as tied to FPS rate barrier...well, at least at my end....

Hey everyone...don't forget to update the  Orbx Lib's with the latest after each new installation of an airport(s)

Same for regions.

You will see that the progress will 'seek' and write new information, that is now required for your additional purchases.

DEFRAG!

Have fun....

I don't see what an addon  has to do with 32bit vs 64 bit at all... (except in cases where the add-on consists of a program).  The addon runs within the sim, whether the sim is 32 or 64 is a completely different issue, like scenery files, etc. they  are "bit agnostic"...

One clear example is X-Plane where you can run the sim in 32bits or 64bits. There's no such thing as separate addons....  (again unless the addon is a program itself, and even in these cases it is a separate program called on from the other and does not require to be 64bit).,

Cheers, Pete

Norway is excellent but just so that people are aware, there is also very high quality freeware (really payware quality) available for Norway with products covering the whole spectrum (mesh, landclass, airports, etc). Prior to installing FTX Norway, I had been using the freeware addons and, to be honest, the difference between the two is not dramatic. So if anyone is on a tight budget there is nothing to be lost by giving this excellent freeware scenery a try. Full instructions on its installation are available in the Avsim FSX forum under the title Norway Updated v2!

Bill

Norway is excellent but just so that people are aware, there is also very high quality freeware (really payware quality) available for Norway with products covering the whole spectrum (mesh, landclass, airports, etc). Prior to installing FTX Norway, I had been using the freeware addons and, to be honest, the difference between the two is not dramatic. So if anyone is on a tight budget there is nothing to be lost by giving this excellent freeware scenery a try. Full instructions on its installation are available in the Avsim FSX forum under the title Norway Updated v2!

Bill

That one requires a lot of manual work. I found the frames to be much heavier than ORBX 

• Upvote 1

ZORAN

I don't see what an addon  has to do with 32bit vs 64 bit at all... (except in cases where the add-on consists of a program).  The addon runs within the sim, whether the sim is 32 or 64 is a completely different issue, like scenery files, etc. they  are "bit agnostic"...

One clear example is X-Plane where you can run the sim in 32bits or 64bits. There's no such thing as separate addons....  (again unless the addon is a program itself, and even in these cases it is a separate program called on from the other and does not require to be 64bit).,

This has been my confusion as well with the 32 -> 64 bit jump... I don't remember it being much of an issue at all in X-Plane, an update was needed here or there but all my stuff worked fine for the most part, and what didn't was updated for free in a timely manner.  Other programs I use have mods and addons that work fine in either version, even games that started at 32-Bit and have been updated to 64 (Kerbal Space Program for example, TONs of free addons available for that program).

Now, beside the point, I've abandoned X-Plane and went deep into P3D last year, but still can't figure out how basic stuff like scenery can't be compatible, possibly with an updated installer or simple conversion of whatever files are the problem.... dunno, but it's the huge cloud hanging over the hole thing at the moment and I'm tired of it ha