Sign in to follow this  
TheDanger

ORBX 38% Off May sale

Pete, I own the PNW, all Rocky Mtns and NoCal regions. Keep in mind I am not a heavy iron flyer as I prefer small biz jets and smaller airports. For you, I would recommend starting with SoCal (for reasons already stated). Check it out for a few days and then if desired, buy some more (prior to June 1 :wink: ) . Yes if you depart and arrive in the SAME region, just activate that region from ORBX Central; however I have read on the forums that activating ORBX Global region in Hybrid mode and leaving it set there, causes no issues what so ever.

Don't know where you read that but it causes a lot of issues... Hybrid is a compromise between the available texture sets, because the sim cannot display all. So if you put it in hybrid and fly in regions, you will see some crappy scenery in some places.

Likewise if you set it to a region and fly where there is none, you can also see some strange things (i.e. I have had farms on the sides of mountains, as well as houses, roads etc).

Not reallysure why people get confused about this, it is very easy:

Fly within a region: set to the region

Fly completely out of a region: set to global

Fly between a region and a non-region location: hybrid.

Very nice explanation!!!

Thanks Carlos. 

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

All a moot point soon as the new ftx central will soon do away with region switching altogether. Coming soon apparently,

• Upvote 1

be interesting 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

All a moot point soon as the new ftx central will soon do away with region switching altogether. Coming soon apparently,

FTX central by itself will not do anything, it's the underlying product that will be changed and therefore FTX central will change accordingly.

All good stuff it's supposed to be :)

• Upvote 1

FTX central by itself will not do anything, it's the underlying product that will be changed and therefore FTX central will change accordingly.

All good stuff it's supposed to be :)

errr no.

Seeing as the region switching is primarily a function of changing the cfg files (autogen, terrain,) then it will be handled by FTX Central. They have already said on the orbx forum there will be no new versions of the regions required etc.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/110405-openlc-na-and-unified-global-regions/?do=findComment&comment=993152

errr no.

Seeing as the region switching is primarily a function of changing the cfg files (autogen, terrain,) then it will be handled by FTX Central. They have already said on the orbx forum there will be no new versions of the regions required etc.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/110405-openlc-na-and-unified-global-regions/?do=findComment&comment=993152

Err no...

You are misreading the post. What FTX will do/habdle is the *installing* of the updates without you needing to install everything from scratch...

Currently due to limitations each region uses it's own lookup file. The only thing ftx central does is change which file this is (the one belonging to the region you select).

FTX central is nothing more than a tool for managing the products, it does not do anything except set/unset things as per what you choose, check for updates and install them if so desired, and launch other configuration tools.

You will not need *full* versions of the products, but you most certainly will need to update them...

This is his full announcement:

" I just wanted to share the status of openLC North America and some new tech we've developed leading up to its beta.

As you know, currently in FTX Central you need to manually select the area of the world in which you want to fly in, such as Europe, Oceania, North America etc. This is purely because we have in the past developed separate unique lclookup.bgl and autogendescriptions.spb files for each worldwide area to cater for the large diversity of landscapes and buildings across the world, far in excess of the original FSX engine's design. We're getting FSX/P3D to do things it was never designed to do in the first place.

We will shortly begin testing a new approach; a completely unified lclookup.bgl and supporting core files that will completely remove the need to ever switch worldwide regions in FTX Central ever again. This is a huge breakthrough in flexibility of all Orbx FTX Regions and FTX Global working seamlessly together.

So soon you will be able to start a flight in the UK, fly to Europe or the USA and never have to think about which worldwide region you're in because everything will work seamlessly together. You can fly from FTX Regions such as PNW, NCA etc then east to openLC USA without blinking or worrying about which area FTX Central is set to.

So goodbye Hybrid Mode and switching. Hooray!

The benefits of this new tech are substantial. We will have an unlimited set of textures, landclasses and autogen to now continue to develop FTX Global for every corner of the globe without fiddly switching, hybrid modes or other stuff getting in the way. It will all just work seamlessly.

Developing this tech however, has come at the price of it needing to be completed before we continue towards the openLC NA USA/Mexico beta stage. We wanted to ensure this all works before continuing with openLC.

The good news is that we have also found new ways to increase the speed with which we can roll out Asia and South America openLC areas so in the overall scheme of things we should recover lost time pretty quickly.

We will complete testing of the unified lclookup system over February then openLC NA USA/Mexico/Caribbean will enter beta in March. Expect to see preview screenshots in late Feb/early March.

I know the rest of openLC NA is highly anticipated by most of you, and I know it's been delayed several times - but I can promise you the benefits of reworking the foundation on which it sits far outweighs an extra month of waiting here and there.

It will no need to do a reinstall of yours existing products

this will likely be implemented via FTX Central itself. There is enormous complexity in the changes we make, involving many checks and scripts but we will be testing all this during this month to make it a painless transition.

The only issue is re-installing FTX Global and FTX regions using the current installers; in that instance FTX Central would detect it and re-apply the new system again.

Also note it will be a mandatory requirement to move to this new unified system to continue to receive support and have forward compatibility with new Orbx products"

• Upvote 1

Err no...

You are misreading the post. What FTX will do/habdle is the *installing* of the updates without you needing to install everything from scratch...

Currently due to limitations each region uses it's own lookup file. The only thing ftx central does is change which file this is (the one belonging to the region you select).

FTX central is nothing more than a tool for managing the products, it does not do anything except set/unset things as per what you choose, check for updates and install them if so desired, and launch other configuration tools.

You will not need *full* versions of the products, but you most certainly will need to update them...

This is his full announcement:

" I just wanted to share the status of openLC North America and some new tech we've developed leading up to its beta.

As you know, currently in FTX Central you need to manually select the area of the world in which you want to fly in, such as Europe, Oceania, North America etc. This is purely because we have in the past developed separate unique lclookup.bgl and autogendescriptions.spb files for each worldwide area to cater for the large diversity of landscapes and buildings across the world, far in excess of the original FSX engine's design. We're getting FSX/P3D to do things it was never designed to do in the first place.

We will shortly begin testing a new approach; a completely unified lclookup.bgl and supporting core files that will completely remove the need to ever switch worldwide regions in FTX Central ever again. This is a huge breakthrough in flexibility of all Orbx FTX Regions and FTX Global working seamlessly together.

So soon you will be able to start a flight in the UK, fly to Europe or the USA and never have to think about which worldwide region you're in because everything will work seamlessly together. You can fly from FTX Regions such as PNW, NCA etc then east to openLC USA without blinking or worrying about which area FTX Central is set to.

So goodbye Hybrid Mode and switching. Hooray!

The benefits of this new tech are substantial. We will have an unlimited set of textures, landclasses and autogen to now continue to develop FTX Global for every corner of the globe without fiddly switching, hybrid modes or other stuff getting in the way. It will all just work seamlessly.

Developing this tech however, has come at the price of it needing to be completed before we continue towards the openLC NA USA/Mexico beta stage. We wanted to ensure this all works before continuing with openLC.

The good news is that we have also found new ways to increase the speed with which we can roll out Asia and South America openLC areas so in the overall scheme of things we should recover lost time pretty quickly.

We will complete testing of the unified lclookup system over February then openLC NA USA/Mexico/Caribbean will enter beta in March. Expect to see preview screenshots in late Feb/early March.

I know the rest of openLC NA is highly anticipated by most of you, and I know it's been delayed several times - but I can promise you the benefits of reworking the foundation on which it sits far outweighs an extra month of waiting here and there.

It will no need to do a reinstall of yours existing products

this will likely be implemented via FTX Central itself. There is enormous complexity in the changes we make, involving many checks and scripts but we will be testing all this during this month to make it a painless transition.

The only issue is re-installing FTX Global and FTX regions using the current installers; in that instance FTX Central would detect it and re-apply the new system again.

Also note it will be a mandatory requirement to move to this new unified system to continue to receive support and have forward compatibility with new Orbx products"

Where do you think autogen descriptions and lclookup reside in orbx world? In terms of region switching these are the only things that really change.

They are in FTX central and get switched in and out of the sim files accordingly.

I like the way you joined the qoutes at the end to support your position.

Either way, its all handled by the new version FTX central so your original post is nothing more than nitpicking anyway.

Have a good one...........................................

Where do you think autogen descriptions and lclookup reside in orbx world? In terms of region switching these are the only things that really change.

They are in FTX central and get switched in and out of the sim files accordingly.

I like the way you joined the qoutes at the end to support your position.

Either way, its all handled by the new version FTX central so your original post is nothing more than nitpicking anyway.

Have a good one...........................................

Lol, are you serious? Where do they reside? In the sim folders of course... It's the sim that uses them to look up textures, etc.

Through FTX central you swap these files and that is necessary due to the limitations of the sim/product. FTX central is doing nothing but copying files, it is not "running" anything...

Once the product gets updates this functionality will no longer be needed, and FTX centtal will simoly be used to launch other confogurators and to keep the product up to date.

I'm not joining anything, just quoting what was said and understanding the posts correctly...

Hey everyone...don't forget to update the Orbx Lib's with the latest after each new installation of an airport(s)

Same for regions.

Actually this is no longer necessary.  At one time, library files were included in installers, but of course those files would be current from the date the airport or region was released.  This created a problem as an installation could easily backdate some of your library requiring a re-installation just to be "sure".  Current installers don't contain any library files, so all you need to do is to make sure you have the latest library installed and you're golden.  It's a one time thing, rather than an after every new install thing.  And the current FTX Central makes it even easier.

Scott

Lol, are you serious? Where do they reside? In the sim folders of course... It's the sim that uses them to look up textures, etc.

Through FTX central you swap these files and that is necessary due to the limitations of the sim/product. FTX central is doing nothing but copying files, it is not "running" anything...

Once the product gets updates this functionality will no longer be needed, and FTX centtal will simoly be used to launch other confogurators and to keep the product up to date.

I'm not joining anything, just quoting what was said and understanding the posts correctly...

lol, I just said that they reside in the sim folders.

Ftx central contains those files and swaps them in and out as necessary. Look in the folder labeled ftx central. That's where all of those files are stored, not in the regions folders.

Again, you are splitting hairs. Ftx central will simply take care of it all regardless. I'm fully aware of how the sim works thanks very much. I have been at this for 20 plus years at this point.

There will be no update to the core region files. I bet you a case of beer on it.

lol, I just said that they reside in the sim folders.

Ftx central contains those files and swaps them in and out as necessary. Look in the folder labeled ftx central. That's where all of those files are stored, not in the regions folders.

Again, you are splitting hairs. Ftx central will simply take care of it all regardless. I'm fully aware of how the sim works thanks very much. I have been at this for 20 plus years at this point.

There will be no update to the core region files. I bet you a case of beer on it.

You've been at this for 20 years and "know how the sim works" and yet for some reason you keep refering to the "region" files that have nothing to do with what is being changed...

Let's just leave it at that, since you keep being unaware that the only reason to use ftx central at it's core (i.e. Besides from configuring stuff and updating) is to copy these files around.

You've been at this for 20 years and "know how the sim works" and yet for some reason you keep refering to the "region" files that have nothing to do with what is being changed...

Let's just leave it at that, since you keep being unaware that the only reason to use ftx central at it's core (i.e. Besides from configuring stuff and updating) is to copy these files around.

Exactly , the region files contain NONE of the files that are needed for switching so why are you saying that they will need to be updated?

You sir, are a complete spin artist. . Does the update to ftx central take care of doing away with region switching. Simple question. Yes or no?

Go to your ftx central install folder. Tell me where the ftx versions of lc lookup and autogen descriptions are stored, right in this folder which is where ftx central updates. Not once did I say they reside in the regions folder. Quite the opposite in fact. Clearly ftx central swaps these in and out of the sim. The new version of these files which will be supplied with the new version of ftx central will be permanently replaced in the sim folders and will no longer require any swapping in and out.

That is what was said in my original post. You are choosing to either not read or don't comprehend. I'm done with you. Let's leave it at that indeed.

Actually this is no longer necessary.  At one time, library files were included in installers, but of course those files would be current from the date the airport or region was released.  This created a problem as an installation could easily backdate some of your library requiring a re-installation just to be "sure".  Current installers don't contain any library files, so all you need to do is to make sure you have the latest library installed and you're golden.  It's a one time thing, rather than an after every new install thing.  And the current FTX Central makes it even easier.

Scott

Oh...good to read that.  I thought you still had to re-install the latest with after any major update routine. Thanks for pointing that out. Saves wasted effort.

Mitch

Exactly , the region files contain NONE of the files that are needed for switching so why are you saying that they will need to be updated?

You sir, are a complete spin artist. . Does the update to ftx central take care of doing away with region switching. Simple question. Yes or no?

Go to your ftx central install folder. Tell me where the ftx versions of lc lookup and autogen descriptions are stored, right in this folder which is where ftx central updates. Not once did I say they reside in the regions folder. Quite the opposite in fact. Clearly ftx central swaps these in and out of the sim. The new version of these files which will be supplied with the new version of ftx central will be permanently replaced in the sim folders and will no longer require any swapping in and out.

That is what was said in my original post. You are choosing to either not read or don't comprehend. I'm done with you. Let's leave it at that indeed.

Wow.. No sharp tools in that shed, huh..?

Of course the files are there NOW, that is the whole point! That's what y use it for NOW. Thise files are managed by FTX central they are not PART of it. ftx central is used to manage *the products*. What part of that don't you understand? Once the *products* are updated, and this switching is no longer necessary/relevant, FTX Central wil do SQUAT for that functionality, it will not be needed for that at all, exactly like I said in my very FIRST post on this.