Sign in to follow this  
TheDanger

ORBX 38% Off May sale

@Raven9000 & GHarrall

So guys, which is it?

Tomaito or Tomato!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I thought the thread was about the ORBX sale.

• Upvote 2

Bringing it back to the sale.  I finally picked up Monument Valley and Australia.  Wanted to pick up SoCal, but my comp won't be able to hack it, performance wise  :Sigh:

- Nick

Like flight sim videos? Do me a favor and take a quick survey: http://www.avsim.com/topic/488157-flight-sim-video-survey/#entry3416965

Like fighter jets/planes? Do me a favor and take a quick survey: http://www.avsim.com/topic/488215-what-fighter-jetsplanes-do-you-enjoy-watching-in-fs-videos/#entry3417428

Have picked up several AU airports during this sale.  Now wondering if the Lancair IV-P would be recommended to fly around the AU area.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Have picked up several AU airports during this sale.  Now wondering if the Lancair IV-P would be recommended to fly around the AU area.

Carl..presently in a AU flight between YPEC and YRED...with the Carenado SkyMaster C377 ---great high wing and power for the trip. Do you have this?  Check out my post in the Screenshot Forum regarding it...

Ses 

Have added 4 airports to my Orbx collection since this sale started... and I see a few more being added before it ends! :smile:

Now wondering if the Lancair IV-P would be recommended to fly around the AU area.

If'n you're lookin' for something that will take you and a toothbrush somewhere fast, I'd recommend the RealAir Legacy.  The IV-P was good in its day but the current Legacy is outstanding (and GTN integration as well!).

HTH

Greg

Carl..presently in a AU flight between YPEC and YRED...with the Carenado SkyMaster C377 ---great high wing and power for the trip. Do you have this?  Check out my post in the Screenshot Forum regarding it...

Ses 

Mitch the C377 is one of my favorites.  I have been flying it all over the place since I purchased so many AU airports lately. Yep, been enjoying your pics flying around in AU.

Have added 4 airports to my Orbx collection since this sale started... and I see a few more being added before it ends! :smile:

If'n you're lookin' for something that will take you and a toothbrush somewhere fast, I'd recommend the RealAir Legacy.  The IV-P was good in its day but the current Legacy is outstanding (and GTN integration as well!).

HTH

Greg

Real Air is the best but since the Legacy was less than $11 usa I thought of giving it a try.

Thanks for your input Greg. 

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hi folks,

I noticed there was a post a few days back about Orbx airports for those who only fly the 737. Although I own a few small Orbx airports, having just spent the last few months building a Prosim-based 737 cockpit I've been sort of thinking the same thing.

Firstly, here's the Orbx airport products I own that are suitable for the NGX etc. Note that I've been P3D exclusive since v1, so I'm only going to mention P3D v3 compatible airports. Plus - I've just added some arbitrary score out of 10 - just IMHO.

KJAC Jackson Hole - recommended. 7.5/10

KEGE Eagle Vale - another high-altitude strip, recommended. 7/10

KMRY Monterey - for a bit of cali flying, this is a great airport, I enjoy the approaches over the ocean and over the hills. 8/10

KRDD Redding - don't like it as much as KMRY, but don't regret buying it in the recent sale. 6/10

KSEZ Sedona - bought this in the sale. Although I was only looking at airports that one might realistically land a 737 at, I'll make this one exception as it's a really interesting area. And you can - almost always - land a 737 here!. 7/10

KSPS Palm Springs - great airport - but note not quite ready for P3D v3 yet, it sounds like this is happening very soon though -so haven't flown it since v2. 7/10

Note that I've done plenty of 737 landings in all of the above, and with the exception of KSEZ they're all reasonable airports to do so in.

For Australia - I haven't been flying this for absolutely ages. Larger airports that you might consider are:

YMML Melbourne - OK. 6/10

YBCS Cairns - my favourite. 8/10

YSCB Canberra - OK. 6.5/10

+ AU Canberra city scape

There's a bunch of medium-sided airports Aus that will also handle a 737, but I don't love any of them enough to install them right now!

Europe:

EGHI Southamptom - decent airport, though doesn't excite me very much. 6/10

Other:

NSTU Pago Pago - bought this in the sale, having lots of fun flying the 737 around Samoa, recommended. 8/10

AYPY Jackson - haven't tried this in P3D yet, doesn't excite me greatly in the 737 but good area for bush flying. 6.5/10

So that's what I've been using for this purpose of late. Does anyone have any recommendation for 737 use for North American or European airports not listed abobe for landing medium jets in? I was thinking of maybe picking up:

Sumburgh - interesting terrain around the airport

Possibly Stockholm, though it looks kind of boring

Maybe something from Canada or Alaska. PAKT? Juneau? Anything else?

Enjoy the sale - and let me know if you have any good tips :)

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

OzWhitey, on 18 May 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

Enjoy the sale - and let me know if you have any good tips :)

Nice write up, Rob! I have Jackson Hole as well, its such great scenery on approach.

Really really really enjoying Norway! Worth exploring in GA aircraft.

Might want to check out Telluride. I don't have it...yet. I'm itching to pull the trigger on it. Looks fantastic.

Juneau would be great as well. Don't have the Orbx but the locale is a great spot.

SoCal/NorCal are FPS intensive to say the least.

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

Finally tried Norway last weekend - fun in the 737 too, I can say. Alesund works well in an NG.

Payware Norway airports  - haven't bought them, but tried a few approaches to the standard FTX Sandane. Man, that's a short runway! (I just checked again - 980m - but it feels even shorter). Great RNAV approach in the sim, last minute turn to line the runway up but then kind of hard to stop before the dropoff at the end.

Telluride - looks really sweet, better in the pics than KEGE and KJAC I reckon. Also love that region - first freeware I ever downloaded for flightsim, right after I learned that such a thing as add-on scenery existed - photoscenery over a dial-up modem :) But - not on sale, so maybe later.

Bella Coola looks great as well, though not for the 737 really at 1280m runway length. Queenstown is another one that we haven't mentioned, that'll handle a 737 nicely though I personally haven't flown NZ for a long time.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I really wish OrbX would consider bundling some of these standalone airports into a "Region+" pack of some kind.

Even as an owner of tons of their airports, I still get so incredibly turned off by when I need to do a fresh re-install and manage it all airport...by airport...by airport.

ORBX Wales with the bundled 29 Palms Cardiff airport is highly recommended - an excellent region with a high-quality payware airport, well suited to 737-size aircraft and above (and below :) ).

I've got the Lancair-IV-P and don't like it, though that's a personal opinion...

Cheers

Keith

Getting close to the end of the sale.  I got Pago Pago and NA Landclass. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I'm gonna finally pull the trigger on SoCal (yeah, I know - but I haven't been flying) and L70 to go with it.  Probably get trees as well and maybe one more airport.

Last sale I picked up Eagle and Sedona hoping it get me flying again and I still haven't installed them, and I've only flown into Palm Springs a few times, but hey...  I know I'll get going again "Real Soon Now" so it's an investment.  Right?

Right?!

Scott

I'm gonna finally pull the trigger on SoCal (yeah, I know - but I haven't been flying) and L70 to go with it.  Probably get trees as well and maybe one more airport.

Last sale I picked up Eagle and Sedona hoping it get me flying again and I still haven't installed them, and I've only flown into Palm Springs a few times, but hey...  I know I'll get going again "Real Soon Now" so it's an investment.  Right?

Right?!

Scott

+1

Ernest Pergrem