Sign in to follow this  
hlender

No vectoring to ILS localizer for final approach.

Don't know if this is a bug or not but here goes. I have flown about 6 IFR flts from KSTL to KORD The flts go well. I have to manually fly the A/C via the autopilot in order to follow the legs of the Flight Plan. However when I get to KORD at about 50 to 100 miles out vectoring will cease and ATC will tell me that I'm cleared for The ILS approach. This makes me do my own heading adjustments to intercept the localizer.  In Radar Contact and when I flew  in real life  ATC would give me vectors all the way to intercept the localizer and tell me to take over and complete the approach. Also to contact tower. I haven't tried any flights to other airports to see if there is any difference. If I posted this in the wrong area I apologize. Everything loads correctly, Flight plans SIDS, Stars. I also build the FltPln in FSX Flight Planner and load it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Harry

Well, in real life you'd fly to the IAF and do the full approach in lieu of vectors, including the PT if there is one.

You typically request vectors to final. There's no way to request them within pilot2atc? You can do that with proatc x.

Harry,

what P2A version do you use and whats your settings on the config/FltPln/ATCOptions section?

Normally you should vectored to the Initial Fix (IF) whats 5-6 NM on the extended centerline prior to the Final Approach Fix (FAF).

Helge

Harry,

There are a lot of variables that determine how ATC will handle you during the approach.  One option is to request radar vectors to the ILS verbally from ATC and you should get them to intercept the localizer at the IF.

As Helge points out, the settings in Config - FltPln tab for ATC options is key to what you should expect.  If you don't check "ATC Gives Vectors to IF", then you would have to request vectors from approach control.  Otherwise, it is assumed you will only need clearance to the fix and you will navigate there yourself.

Hope  this helps. 

Dave

Harry,

what P2A version do you use and whats your settings on the config/FltPln/ATCOptions section?

Normally you should vectored to the Initial Fix (IF) whats 5-6 NM on the extended centerline prior to the Final Approach Fix (FAF).

Helge

Hi Helge;

Thanks for responding. I have version 2.0.0.23. And I have FltPln tab "ATC Gives Vectors to IF" checked. Don't know why it doesn't take me all the way to IF? But I also read Dave's response and he said the same as you did. Looks like I will have to request radar vectors to the ILS verbally from ATC. I'll try that later today to see how that works out.

that's what I like about P2A, it keeps you thinking. Gets you involved which is great.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again for your input.

Harry

Harry,

There are a lot of variables that determine how ATC will handle you during the approach.  One option is to request radar vectors to the ILS verbally from ATC and you should get them to intercept the localizer at the IF.

As Helge points out, the settings in Config - FltPln tab for ATC options is key to what you should expect.  If you don't check "ATC Gives Vectors to IF", then you would have to request vectors from approach control.  Otherwise, it is assumed you will only need clearance to the fix and you will navigate there yourself.

Hope  this helps. 

Dave

Hi Dave;

Thanks for responding. I just replied to Helge. I basically am just repeating here. I have version 2.0.0.23. And I have FltPln tab "ATC Gives Vectors to IF" checked. Don't know why it doesn't take me all the way to IF? But I also read Dave's response and he said the same as you did. Looks like I will have to request radar vectors to the ILS verbally from ATC. I'll try that later today to see how that works out.

I'll get back with you on how it goes.

Thanks Again.

Harry

Hi Harry,

I tried your flight two times with only checked "ATC gives vectors to ILS" without problems.

So I wonder what did you mean with "vectoring will cease" 60-100 NM inbound KORD. As you wrote you have to fly the A/C manually I assume you didn't got vectors rather "off-course" corrections to catch the right course.

Please try it again with OIX (Ottawa NDB) as last waypoint in your flightplan (KSTL-OIX-KORD). Let the autopilot in NAV mode track the course inbound the NDB to avoid off-course corrections due to wind AOA. And OIX is close enough to KORD. Vectoring should start ~20 NM before you reached OIX.

Helge

Hi Harry,

I tried your flight two times with only checked "ATC gives vectors to ILS" without problems.

So I wonder what did you mean with "vectoring will cease" 60-100 NM inbound KORD. As you wrote you have to fly the A/C manually I assume you didn't got vectors rather "off-course" corrections to catch the right course.

Please try it again with OIX (Ottawa NDB) as last waypoint in your flightplan (KSTL-OIX-KORD). Let the autopilot in NAV mode track the course inbound the NDB to avoid off-course corrections due to wind AOA. And OIX is close enough to KORD. Vectoring should start ~20 NM before you reached OIX.

Helge

Hi Helge;

Looks like that was the problem. I requested vectors to the IF and ATC started giving me headings to intercept the ILS. So that was the problem. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Much appreciated.

Harry

Harry,

with the activated option "ATC gives vectors to ILS" it should also works without your request. (Requests  for approaches, vectors and so on only needed if you haven't set related options.)

By the way ... as I wrote that OIX is close enough that vectoring should start timely ... I forgot the effect of the approach controller radius setting (ATC-settings; see manual page 68). My setting (mostly flying airliners) is 80 NM and OIX is inside 80 NM range. When your setting is "standard 35 NM" for smaller A/C automatic vectoring will starts later. So if you have further problems with that please check your settings for the approach controller radius.

Helge

Harry,

with the activated option "ATC gives vectors to ILS" it should also works without your request. (Requests  for approaches, vectors and so on only needed if you haven't set related options.)

By the way ... as I wrote that OIX is close enough that vectoring should start timely ... I forgot the effect of the approach controller radius setting (ATC-settings; see manual page 68). My setting (mostly flying airliners) is 80 NM and OIX is inside 80 NM range. When your setting is "standard 35 NM" for smaller A/C automatic vectoring will starts later. So if you have further problems with that please check your settings for the approach controller radius.

Helge

Helge:

Thanks for that. Went in and changed it to 80 miles. We'll see what that does. BTW I was flying a Lear.

harry