Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

Default P3D v3 Clouds vs Rex Soft Clouds

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to get the communities opinion. I just reinstalled my p3d v3.2 after some OOM issues I believe were Vector related, and after doing a clean install, I remembered that the default clouds in V3 look better than in previous versions and honestly look quite nice. Does anyone else use defaults? How is performance of defaults vs soft clouds? Just wanted to hear your thoughts. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to get the communities opinion. I just reinstalled my p3d v3.2 after some OOM issues I believe were Vector related, and after doing a clean install, I remembered that the default clouds in V3 look better than in previous versions and honestly look quite nice. Does anyone else use defaults? How is performance of defaults vs soft clouds? Just wanted to hear your thoughts. 

Vector yup that will cause a new install - lesson learned - Rob uses default clouds - they are nice - I use rex4 + SC - no difference in performance that I have noticed prefer the more defined look of rex4 clouds - either way you cant go wrong

Rich Sennett

Hi,

The default clouds have not changed since FS9, which are still utilized in P3D.

If you own Soft Clouds you already know about the performance.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

No matter what others might say, I don't like default clouds at all. Imho they look ugly and cartoonish and fake. I prefer and use the HDE clouds. No difference in performance there either.

Soft clouds look much better than default clouds. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Vector yup that will cause a new install - lesson learned - Rob uses default clouds - they are nice - I use rex4 + SC - no difference in performance that I have noticed prefer the more defined look of rex4 clouds - either way you cant go wrong

Couldn't you just turn it off in the scenery or uninstall it?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Couldn't you just turn it off in the scenery or uninstall it?

There is no uninstall and good luck getting it out - induced stutters here - all set with that

Rich Sennett

There is no uninstall and good luck getting it out - induced stutters here - all set with that

quoted from ftx from jv post on how to uninstall vector

Some folks have asked how to correctly uninstall VECTOR from their PC. The following was posted by Alex Goff and I have added further clarification by the PILOT'S guys:

1. Uncheck these from your scenery library:

• ORBX!VECTOR_APT

• ORBX!VECTOR_OBJ

• ORBX!VECTOR_CVX

• ORBX!VECTOR_EXX

• ORBX!VECTOR_AEC*

2. Go to ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\ in your sim's root directory and delete the 5 FTX_VECTOR folders within (FTX_VECTOR_OBJ FTX_VECTOR_APT FTX_VECTOR_CVX FTX_VECTOR_EXX FTX_VECTOR_AEC)

3. Go to ORBX\Scripts and delete FTXConfigurator_VECTOR.exe & VECTOR_lib.cfg

4. Go to ORBX\User Documents\Versions and delete FTX_GLOBAL_VECTOR_PACK.txt

*If you can't uncheck the ORBX!VECTOR_AEC folder you'll need to go to your scenery.cfg in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX (P3D is located under "Lockheed Martin") , locate it's entry, and change "REQUIRED=TRUE" to "FALSE"

NOTE: You don't have to delete the folders if only want to temporarily deactivate VECTOR.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hey Everyone,

Hi Josh, I've been using the default clouds since a reinstall of P3D 3.2 about a month back, had no performance issues, frame rates have been 29-30. Installed FTX So-cal this morning (purchased for £16 'what a bargain) and with ASN did a flight out of KSNA and with these new shader mods it was brilliant.

I would give the 'Default Clouds a go'

bob

Hi Josh, I've been using the default clouds since a reinstall of P3D 3.2 about a month back, had no performance issues, frame rates have been 29-30. Installed FTX So-cal this morning (purchased for £16 'what a bargain) and with ASN did a flight out of KSNA and with these new shader mods it was brilliant.
I would give the 'Default Clouds a go'

I actually don't think they're that bad.  I have REX4 clouds for a change of pace especially when I want the clouds to look more menacing.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

quoted from ftx from jv post on how to uninstall vector

Some folks have asked how to correctly uninstall VECTOR from their PC. The following was posted by Alex Goff and I have added further clarification by the PILOT'S guys:

1. Uncheck these from your scenery library:

• ORBX!VECTOR_APT

• ORBX!VECTOR_OBJ

• ORBX!VECTOR_CVX

• ORBX!VECTOR_EXX

• ORBX!VECTOR_AEC*

2. Go to ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\ in your sim's root directory and delete the 5 FTX_VECTOR folders within (FTX_VECTOR_OBJ FTX_VECTOR_APT FTX_VECTOR_CVX FTX_VECTOR_EXX FTX_VECTOR_AEC)

3. Go to ORBX\Scripts and delete FTXConfigurator_VECTOR.exe & VECTOR_lib.cfg

4. Go to ORBX\User Documents\Versions and delete FTX_GLOBAL_VECTOR_PACK.txt

*If you can't uncheck the ORBX!VECTOR_AEC folder you'll need to go to your scenery.cfg in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX (P3D is located under "Lockheed Martin") , locate it's entry, and change "REQUIRED=TRUE" to "FALSE"

NOTE: You don't have to delete the folders if only want to temporarily deactivate VECTOR.

Thanks Pete - tried this before did not work completely - something else will be amiss but cant remember what now nor do i want to find out again 

Rich Sennett

Thanks Pete - tried this before did not work completely - something else will be amiss but cant remember what now nor do i want to find out again 

I agree, best just to do without Vector. The performance/visual trade off is just not worth it. Plus it tends to have some very strange elevation and landclass anomalies. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I agree, best just to do without Vector. The performance/visual trade off is just not worth it. Plus it tends to have some very strange elevation and landclass anomalies.

Exactly. Imho it's the worst Orbx addon. Well, maybe together with that Lancair of theirs. Luckily their regions are awesome.

Exactly. Imho it's the worst Orbx addon. Well, maybe together with that Lancair of theirs. Luckily their regions are awesome.

All with you guys thats for sure - not even an Orbx product really - if it was it would have been perfect   :wink:

Its not bad just get micro stutters with it so I am happy with Orbx landclass and high res mesh

Rich Sennett

Exactly. Imho it's the worst Orbx addon.

In my eyes, this is a little bit to harsh. Yes, FTX Vector with everything set on is a VAS hog and performance killer, but that's why you get those options, no? At least it is selectable, other addons just do not let you decide... I still use FTX Vector simply because I really like the modified and improved coastlines, rivers and lakes. On the other hand, as my VFR flying is anyway limited on ORBX full flat regions or Switzerland Professional X, I completely deactivated all roads but the highways with traffic and the primary roads without traffic. Railways: deactivated. Like this, I found a good trade-off between enhanced visual appearance of my sim in more remote regions where no full flat region is available and the performance loss FTX Vector introduces...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS