Sign in to follow this  
GCBraun

The coming of age of X-Plane

As a long time FSX/P3D user, I was always skeptic of X-Plane, specially after migrating to P3D. I was (and still am) really happy with the progress the P3D platform has made and plan to keep using it. In the end of last year, however, seeing that X-Plane was being sold on Steam for something like 5 Euros, I decided to give it a shot.

Six months later, I could not be happier with that move.

Yes, there are a couple of difficulties, mainly with ATC/Traffic when flying offline, but considering that I only fly on VATSIM/IVAO that is not an issue for me and, honestly, I think that the native P3D/FSX issues are much harder to deal with. The amount of quality payware recently launched for X-Plane is mind-boggling and the freeware library is also is also amazing and keeps growing every day.

Is is reasonable to conclude that X-Plane is now a mature platform that should be seriously considered by any hardcore simmer as myself. I know this is a very expensive hobby and supporting two platforms is not for everyone but if you have the extra income, go for it. You won´t be disappointed. Hell, if it was not for the PMDG 777 and the upcoming 747, I would drop P3D completely. The IXEG 737 has easily replaced the NGX for me and having also a quality 767 and a MD-80 on X-Plane means that clicking on the P3D icon is always a rare event these days...

Here are some unedited pics from the last month with my favorite payware aircraft. Hope you enjoy it!

Xop5jdg.jpg

HR3833K.jpg

HlSwMxf.jpg

b4kojqI.png

oehVaIw.png

ui9GqjD.jpg

v40UGdk.jpg

fhHGekF.jpg

S5I8tV1.png

WkpLEEB.jpg

26vd99Z.jpg

abbqu89.jpg

TC85cNF.jpg

kGej3hO.jpg

bCsSUhp.jpg

vccUO9U.jpg

QzygnKo.png

IGcxL4Q.jpg

1wKvNFt.jpg

6ESZexX.jpg

inArmnH.jpg

fso5VAL.jpg

KJo7qza.jpg

pU51fPg.jpg

kKDkkG4.jpg

1J9yT51.jpg

ITrYRwX.jpg

u6a5hJX.jpg

pGUuUx5.jpg

MUdnM8U.jpg

kd7Rl8X.jpg

Ycp4Ydm.jpg

vEjnJFp.jpg

TnlbE91.jpg

d41d6lm.jpg

Ui5Vsd6.jpg

eGBzA69.jpg

19QTuNX.jpg

mQh2RoZ.jpg

yckXBzb.jpg

o2TTFrB.jpg

• Upvote 6

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Very nice sets.

I am trying to keep two simulators, but is a difficult task...lots of money :Money Eyes:  :Money Eyes:  :Money Eyes:.

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

I fully endorse your statement about X-Plane and your snapshots are simply amazing. Thank you for sharing.

JJ

Very good!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Excellent shots!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Some very nice and interesting shots, especially the ones with the plane NOT in the center (e.g. # 6, 7, 8, 16, 29 and 30) ... as if the plane is only accidentally in the picture :wink:.

• Upvote 1

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Very nice thread and pics!

It's funny how 10 years ago or more I used to fly very high-fidelity 737 and 767 as my "main" planes in FS2004. Back then those were the PMDG 737 v1 and the Level-D Simulations models.

Today I could still fly very high-fidelity 737 and 767, just on X-Plane 10 and by IXEG and FlightFactor :)

I think X-Plane 10 is at a state now that you could forget about FSX/P3D altogether :)

• Upvote 2

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

It's close. 

I still use both but mostly XP10 lately. 

XP10 still needs much better water effects and I wish it would simply place concrete textures under buildings instead of having them sit on grass (Urbanmaxx's way of splattering random building textures under everything looks even worse to me). Those are the two eyesores I deal with. 

XP10's ground handling is terrible and taxiing can be down right unenjoyable because of how unrealistically wind effects the plane before flight. 

But XP10's world feels much more alive. More 3D, if that makes sense, and of course the lighting and cars. When I'm on short final and pass over a highway, it all just looks so real. The overwhelming number of high quality free-ware airports is also a big draw. Having a real approach capable GPS with up to date navaids and approachs is also huge for when I want to practice. 

So while I'm not gonna sugarcoat it's flaws, XP10 has come a long way. It's definitely usable on par with P3D finally. 

• Upvote 1

Fantastic Pics......but most XPlane users would say it's "Come of Age" long,long ago ?

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

So while I'm not gonna sugarcoat it's flaws, XP10 has come a long way. It's definitely usable on par with P3D finally. 

The one thing I really need is a good AI traffic program like My Traffic. The problem is that X-Plane is not designed in a way that it is easy to do. There are two programs in place right now but neither is really user friendly or covers the sim universally. If we ever get that it will make a huge difference.

NAX669.png

XP10 still needs much better water effects

This is what is maybe almost impossible for any simulator to ever get anything right.  The differences in perceptions on what is real is as many as there are flight simmers out there.  We each see the world differently.  For me, XP10 has the most realistic water.  FSX/P3D is the one the is terrible.  With the 50' waves all over the place.  Just terrible.  XP10 by far wins here.  But, ask 1000 simmers and you'll get 500 in each camp.  I just want what is real.  What actually is.  But we will only ever get an artist's impression of what's real and then all the arguments for or against as to why it's real or not.

XP10's ground handling is terrible and taxiing can be down right unenjoyable because of how unrealistically wind effects the plane before flight. 

Same thing here.  For me, XP10 by far wins over the FSX/P3D world.

But XP10's world feels much more alive. More 3D, if that makes sense, and of course the lighting and cars. When I'm on short final and pass over a highway, it all just looks so real. The overwhelming number of high quality free-ware airports is also a big draw. Having a real approach capable GPS with up to date navaids and approachs is also huge for when I want to practice. 

Here I totally agree with you.  But again, can and will be argued depending who you ask.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

This is what is maybe almost impossible for any simulator to ever get anything right.  The differences in perceptions on what is real is as many as there are flight simmers out there.  We each see the world differently.  For me, XP10 has the most realistic water.  FSX/P3D is the one the is terrible.  With the 50' waves all over the place.  Just terrible.  XP10 by far wins here.  But, ask 1000 simmers and you'll get 500 in each camp.  I just want what is real.  What actually is.  But we will only ever get an artist's impression of what's real and then all the arguments for or against as to why it's real or not.

It's not so much the glassy look of the water (although that's part of it). It's the way light refracts off it and the lack of color variation. Rivers shouldn't be Caribbean teal. And oceans shouldn't be black. The water itself shouldn't blindingly reflect white back at you in the distance

I'm not so much worried about it looking more active. I'm a real pilot. I know you can't see wave movement at 3k feet, much less 30k.