Sign in to follow this  
ozflyer

ASN or FSGRW?

Apologies to bump an old thread.

I am struggling to decide between ASN and FSGRW.

My criteria is simple installation, inject weather into my FSX PC from a second PC, which has widefs Installed.

I have not configured simconnect before and I dread the complication and config issues I have seen on the forums.

So I prefer the ease of installation of just installing the product on my second PC and not touching my fsx PC.

I currently use FSRealWX Lite, which works OK, but is not supported anymore.

I have REX soft clouds installed, now the missing piece is a good weather engine.

My specs are in the signature below.

Thanks

if  you got  pmdg  ngx  or  777  than its  asn  since  its the only  weather    engine  that supports  the weather  radar  where  the others  don't  as  of  yet.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Apologies to bump an old thread.

I am struggling to decide between ASN and FSGRW.

My criteria is simple installation, inject weather into my FSX PC from a second PC, which has widefs Installed.

I have not configured simconnect before and I dread the complication and config issues I have seen on the forums.

So I prefer the ease of installation of just installing the product on my second PC and not touching my fsx PC.

I currently use FSRealWX Lite, which works OK, but is not supported anymore.

I have REX soft clouds installed, now the missing piece is a good weather engine.

My specs are in the signature below.

Thanks

I believe ASN & FSGRW offers a demo - try them both out at the same time and compare

Rich Sennett

In either case you'll need to touch your FSX PC.  While ASN and FSGRW can be installed on a remote PC, they both require a bridge (FSGRW) or connector (ASN) to be installed on the PC which hosts the simulator.

FSGRW doesn't require wideFS or Simconnect.  I use Simconnect with ASN, but you be able to use WideFS instead.   The manual doesn't discuss it.  IMHO Simconnect is made out to be more difficult to use than it really is.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Thanks all for the info.

Given I primarily fly PMDG aircraft, will give ASN a go and see.

Ernie... how do I get ASN working over widefs?, can't find any material, did a bit of searching, nothing out there.

Thanks

Ernie... how do I get ASN working over widefs?, can't find any material, did a bit of searching, nothing out there.

Unfortunately, I don't have WideFS, and the ASN manual makes only a brief mention and that is something to the effect of "if you have Simconnector or wideFS running.."  

I did a quick search on the FSUIPC forum and Pete Dowson made the statement "The current version of ActiveSky, ASN, is all SimConnect AND direct control into FSX/P3D".

You may have not choice but to run Simconnect.  As I said, it isn't hard to set up and it's a lot easier if you give both computers Static IPs.  You will also have to share a directory or two on you flight sim computer.   If you're capable of that, then the Simconnect stuff will take 5 to 10 minutes.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Unfortunately, I don't have WideFS, and the ASN manual makes only a brief mention and that is something to the effect of "if you have Simconnector or wideFS running.."  

I did a quick search on the FSUIPC forum and Pete Dowson made the statement "The current version of ActiveSky, ASN, is all SimConnect AND direct control into FSX/P3D".

You may have not choice but to run Simconnect.  As I said, it isn't hard to set up and it's a lot easier if you give both computers Static IPs.  You will also have to share a directory or two on you flight sim computer.   If you're capable of that, then the Simconnect stuff will take 5 to 10 minutes.

Ernie

The issue I have is that I have FSX standard with Sp2, not Gold or Acceleration. Where do 8mget the simconnect installers, I believe there are four versions?.., that need to be installed on the client PC for it to work.

It would have been better, if ASN shipped with the simconnect client installers !,,,

Split from an old topic.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

ASN for FSXor P3D uses Simconnect only in a network. No need for WideFS.

The issue I have is that I have FSX standard with Sp2, not Gold or Acceleration. Where do 8mget the simconnect installers, I believe there are four versions?.., that need to be installed on the client PC for it to work.

I got mine when I installed the FSX SDK.  They were in the SDK\Core Utilities Kit folder.  The Simconnect version was v10.0.61259.0. FSX Steam uses a different version, as (I think) does P3D.  

You can get installation instructions, as well as download links from FSDeveloper.

Ernest Pergrem

I got mine when I installed the FSX SDK.  They were in the SDK\Core Utilities Kit folder.  The Simconnect version was v10.0.61259.0.

Was this in the FSX standard edition DVD ?

Was this in the FSX standard edition DVD ?

Disk 1 of FSX Gold, but I didn't install the Acceleration disk, so I'm running SP2. 

However, you shouldn't need the disk because the SP2 SDK is available for download about half-way down the page on the FSDeveloper link I posted.

Ernest Pergrem

I have a 7 day trial run of ASN.

I am on day 2 still trying to sort out Simconnect :-(

Why can't they use FSUIPC/widefs ???.

After two days of reading/downloading etc. I have given up on ASN.

Since, I don't own FSX deluxe or acceleration, it appears I cannot install the SDK, which means I cannot get my hands on simconnct installer to get my ASN working on a network machine.

Thanks all for your input and assistance.. going to give up..

I don't want to buy acceleration just so that I can run ASN networked.

Thanks all for your input and assistance.. going to give up..

You would have  been better  to post  your  request or  help  in the hi  fi  forum  where  you  might have  gotten  your  best advice   on how  to install  asn

http://support.hifitechinc.com/

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg