Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

OBBX Regional Scenery Without The Region ?

Hi Folks,

I'm not sure if anyone else is in the same boat - but - I'm running a middle of the road computer that just can't afford the FPS hit of loading full ORBX Regions... I seem to do fine away from the more populated areas with large Bravos (New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles)... I have FTX Global textures loaded and various Global and Regional airport packages and the frames seem acceptable... I've purchased a few Regional airports and some work and some don't... While I realize I am doing this at my own risk - without any official support - I just found out the Monterey (MMRY) is totally unusable without the matching region - as the airport seems to be lacking the required mesh adjacent to the airport... I was hoping to start a list of Regional airports that work well without the associated regions - I realize that there may not be a perfect match to the surrounding Global textures... 

So - if so inclined - please add to this list so those of us without the latest and greatest - can also enjoy some of the Regional airports - without wasting money on those that don't work...

Here is what I've noticed:

• KBZN - Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport: 100% usable without any substantial deficiencies...
  • KJAC - Jackson Hole Airport: 100% usable without any substantial deficiencies...
  • KMRY - Monterey Regional Airport: Totally unusable as missing required mesh adjacent to airport (assume it is included in region)...

Any help appreciated...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Lake Tahoe works fine without its region.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks Jim - that's one on my list...

:)

Regards,

Scott

I've heard that Orcas Island also works alone, but haven't tested it myself. I think HLJames, the guy who posts all those photoreal screen shots, has posted pics of Orcas being used with just photoscenery.

• Upvote 1

For what it may be worth, all of the airports listed for FTX Global will probably work in stock FSX. Might be missing some landclass or textures.

This includes Telluride, Palm Springs, Sedona, and Eagle county.

(Full disclaimer: untested suppositions on my part).

• Upvote 1

I read about PAJN Juneau does not work without Southern Alaska region. I believe it is a mesh issue.

Following up on post #5, I don't have Global but I have those four Global airports installed over either FSX Default or MSE2 photoscenery. In addition to those, other Global airports I have installed in the same way are Pago Pago, Horovice, Jacksons Airport, Parry Sound and Porta Westfalica.

The outcome has been satisfactory to me.

However, posts I have seen indicate that the same approach cannot usually be taken satisfactorily with FTX airports designed for a particular FTX Region, something reflected in part of Sott's post #1 and in post #6. I have never tried it. I have all of the FTX Regions installed except Norway and I have not bought any of the FTX Norway airports.

Gary

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the feedback - I think all the Global airports include mesh and shouldn't be a problem other than textures not matching perfectly on the edges... Not a show stopper for me...

Updated List:

• KBZN - Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport: 100% usable without any substantial deficiencies...
  • KJAC - Jackson Hole Airport: 100% usable without any substantial deficiencies...
  • KMRY - Monterey Regional Airport: Totally unusable as missing required mesh adjacent to airport (assume it is included in region)...
  • KTVL - Lake Tahoe Airport: Reported to work well...
  • KORS - Orcas Island Airport: Reported to work well...
  • PAJN - Juneau International Airport: Reported to be unusable due to mesh issues...

Anyone have experience with KSFF - Spokane Felts Field ???

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

For what it may be worth, all of the airports listed for FTX Global will probably work in stock FSX. Might be missing some landclass or textures.

This includes Telluride, Palm Springs, Sedona, and Eagle county.

(Full disclaimer: untested suppositions on my.

Actually all FTX Global will work without Global.

Remember Global doesn't include mesh, land class, vector, or elevation adjustments. It's only a texture replacement and adds night lights, nothing more.

So any Global airports will work fine without. FTX Global installed but the coloring might not blend as well around the edges.

The region specific airports however are another story as some work ok without the region and some will not work unless the region is installed.