Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Add on scenery - different versions of P3D

Is my understanding correct that an add on scenery package that might have been developed for V1 or V2 of P3D might not (or will not) be compatible with the current V3.2?

So many of my installers from my FSX days simply say FSX+P3D. Finding it hard to work out if these installers will work or potentially create a disaster.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Hello Greg.  Yes there are loads of Software that has never Developed further into other into other Platforms and Updated Platforms  The fastest way to find out is,  type the name of the Add On into Google like this,    

Poppets Welsh Scenery Compatible with Prepar3D v3?    Hit Enter,  you should get a fairly accurate response. 

Many thanks Poppet. Will proceed along this route. Even so, I have picked up a few minor issues.

Two examples, I have Drzeweicki Designs Tallinn (EETN) that claims to be v3 compatible. After installing it P3D crashed during the opening logo image, saying something about the scenery.cfg having invalid reference. To fix this I had to manually delete the entry in the scenery.cfg and the restart the sim and add Tallinn through the Scenery Library. After that, all was fine.

The second example was St Maartin which also claims that it is compatible. When I installed it, I got a message right at the very end that Prepar3d was running and I must please shut it down. This was right after a PC restart and Prepar3d was definitely not running! Regardless, it seems to be working ok in the sim.

In both instances, I had downloaded the very latest versions from the internet so I could be sure I was using the correct version, compatible with P3D v3.  

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Hey Greg.  Very good you got sorted.   Basically the rule of thumb is,  If they say they are V3 Compatible and you Download the latest Version from the place of purchase then 99% of the time you are good to go.

Scenery.cfg can get a bit muddled up sometimes and will throw an error if an goes in side ways.  As you said yourself,  "Manually delete it and add through the Prepar3D Scenery Library"

No harm to delete your Shaders Folder when adding any new Software to your Sim, Its certainly Not a Must,  But no harm to anyway   http://www.avsim.com...older-prepar3d/  Give it a nice clean feeling to it all.