Sign in to follow this  
Stoopy

Hmmm, cannot increase LOD_RADIUS in FSX-SE now?

Greetings!

Has anyone had luck lately increasing the setting for LOD_RADIUS in the [TERRAIN] section of FSX.CFG beyond the GUI-limited value of 4.5?

When I first transitioned from my old box version of FSX to the Steam edition, I recall being able to do this just like the box edition, and I really enjoy running with 5.5 or 6.5 for the greater clarity of distant objects.  But lately, and it may have begun after an update from Dovetail, I have noticed that the value is reverting to the "max" of 4.500000 as limited by the GUI slider.  

This is kind of a bummer since I've gone to great pains to set up a good DX10 environment which frees up additional virtual address space for the express purpose of running with a higher LOD (OK among other things).  Harumph.

I haven't tried switching back to DX9 just to see if maybe there is anything related to running in DX10 (that would seem backwards to me though).   Any DX9 FSX-SE users running with a setting above 4.5?  Or any DX10 users for that matter?

Thanks for any replies or suggestions!

Stoop

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

From memory it gets reset each time you enter the settings menu in the GUI and save. If you don't do it, it will be the value you set in the CFG before you started FSX.

There is a program called simstarter both free and payware that lets you set the LOD so it launches in the sim every flight

ZORAN

Thanks for the replies.

I should have specified that I am not using the GUI, but rather editing the FSX.CFG file by hand as you would do when you set LOD_RADIUS to any value higher than 4.5.

Then I launch FSX-SE, take a a flight, and notice that the setting doesn't appear to have "taken".

Next I exit FSX-SE, open FSX.CFG with notepad, and there it is set back to 4.,5

Lastly, I also tried setting FSX.CFG to read-only after increasing LOD_RADIUS and the sim failed to launch, it popped an error message saying that it could not write to FSX.CFG.   Welllll now...

So it appears that maybe FSX Steam edition is sanity-checking certain values like LOD_RADIUS and resetting them at launch.  But, I'll try the simstarter tool, thanks for the tip.

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Thanks Bjoern.

Must be some conflicting setting then. At least that gives me hope enough to roll up the sleeves and chase it down.

"That's what" - She

Solved.  Did the old trick of deleting FSX.CFG and starting from scratch.  Copied all my changes from my backed up config file back into the new one.  Did one section at a time and tested to see if the LOD_RADIUS value reset.  And for whatever reason every setting is identical to before but now LOD_RADIUS will hold a value greater than 4.5.  Go figure.

Good ol' FSX just never stops surprising. 

Lost some view functionality between EZCA and my A2A civilian birds in preflight view, I'd fixed this already and had a flight just last night but it got broken again now.  Which is good because I was getting nervous that I was running out of stuff to fiddle with. 

"That's what" - She