Sign in to follow this  
Flying Kiwi

Appalling FPS in P3D V3

The GPU is definitely your problem. I looked up the AMD Radeon 8570D and it doesn't even have dedicated memory. Unfortunately, you'll never get good 3D performance with something like that. You may be able to get passable performance though by tweaking the settings.

I am assuming your drive is an HDD not an SSD - if that's the case and you are over 50% full - you are losing performance there also. It is probably not ONE specific thing that's causing your problems but a combination of factors.

That said - you can get "acceptable" performance from your hardware and p3d with careful use of the settings.

First - delete or rename your p3d.cfg file and let p3d rebuild. Accept the defaults it sets and make no changes. See how that goes.

Running unlimited may give you increased FPS but at the expense of smooth operation and graphis quality. The system will TRY to maintain the highest FPS it can which takes away from the scenery loading, etc. IMHO, you need to run at a locked fps  - probably around 20 - adjust settings until you can get smooth performance. Do NOT attempt to chase the FPS monster - P3D is about smooth performance, not high FPS. Get it smooth first - then try adjusting settings.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Funnily enough, the FPS was originally locked at 20. However, I don't know if I want to go back to that - maybe I'll try 30.

FSX has unlimited FPS, but it's not always that smooth, so perhaps a limited FPS would help in that too.

I have to confess that when I first got this computer back in late 2013, I hadn't even heard of FSX, P3D or anything else. I only found FSX on Steam in February last year, and didn't really get into flight simming until November/December last year. Since then though, it has become somewhat of an addiction, and I have got lots of add-ons, both payware and freeware. Mainly scenery and aircraft. But all that might be starting to put a bit of a strain on the computer.

The thing is though, I wasn't thinking about optimal performance for flight simulation back in late 2013. The HP Pavilion 23 seemed perfectly adequate for my needs at the time. And before I got into flight simming, I was a pretty keen player of Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Train Simulator 2015/2016 (which I still enjoy from time to time), which this computer can cope with quite well. I guess those games don't put quite the same demands on resources that FSX and P3D do.

Obviously, when I get another computer in the future, I will have very different considerations about the graphics card and performance capacity. But I don't know that I want to get a new machine just yet. Apart from the cost factor, there's the hassle of migrating everything over and starting again with fresh installations. So for now it's a case of trying to get the most acceptable performance I can with my currently somewhat limited resources.

Anyway, thanks for that, Vic and others. I think this can probably be regarded as solved now (though of course, any more good advice about optimising performance is welcome).

• Upvote 1

If you cannot get it smooth at 20, chances are you'll not get it smooth at 30. If you get smooth at 20 THEN try kicking up the fps and see what your system does. You are looking to balance your hardware with your settings.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Apart from the cost factor, there's the hassle of migrating everything over and starting again with fresh installations.

Completely understandable but another nice illustration why those All-in-One computers are really only for those who do nothing else than office work. Short summary of all the problems arising in such a case only because it is an all-in-one computer:

1. Almost no upgrade possibilities due to the fact that everything is stuffed into the monitor case

2. Almost no chance to migrate on a new system, unless you go the cumbersome way via backup on an external drive

3. Replacing the computer means also replacing the monitor. With an all-in-one computer you are forced to buy everything new, including monitor

4. Low performance: the compact case of an all-in-one monitor never allows really powerful hardware

So, I hope that you also learned your lesson and you go for a "classic" desktop computer solution the next time, including a decent monitor (which you can use usually over a decade).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Straight from the AMD spec`s.

Compared to the faster HD 8670D, the 8570D features much less shader cores (384 vs. 256 cores). The graphics card features no dedicated graphics memory and thus depends on the speed and size of the system memory.

So your dedicated gpu is not even in the ball park regarding what LM specify as the recommended amount of Vram for a gpu to run P3dv3.2.... of 4 GB + (GDDR5 or better) and because your gpu is reliant on system memory it actually falls below the LM recommended minimum Vram of 1 GB.

tpewpb-6.png

I have just tried a flight using Orbx scenery, and this time the performance was amazing - total turnaround from my earlier experiences (some with default, some with Orbx)! I limited frame rates to 20 FPS and followed most other suggestions such as turning off MSAA and tessellation. I'll probably play around with the settings a little bit more - in particular, I want to see if I can at least get away with medium settings for scenery - but this has been most heartening. After having done worse than FSX previously, this time around it did better! It is going to be possible to use P3D on my machine after all. Just have to treat the GPU with kid gloves, pretty much.

• Upvote 1

That's great. Just take it slow and fly for a while before making a bunch of changes.

Vic