Sign in to follow this  
lthendrix

GTN 750 brightness

Hello and thanks for your Planes.

I own the 441, mu 2, and the Lear 35.

I have a question about the brightness of the GTN in these planes VC.

I have gone into the F1 configuration module and set VC brightness to 100 in all of these planes.

but the gtn still seems a bit dark for my liking.

My question , is there any other way I can make the gtn's brighter in my VC's ? 

besides turning up my monitor brightness.

The GTN brightness is controlled via the GTN settings panel only, as you have already done it.

This holds true for the VC integration into any airplane.

The GTN in the VC switches between night and day mode for the basic brightness, depending on the time of day switching in FSX/P3D, independent of any VC lighting of the aircraft it is integrated into.

I have found the VC brightness of the GTN to be lacking especially during dawn and dusk conditions, despite having it set to 100%.

So, no, there cannot be done more than you already did.

For the short dusk and dawn periods,I have resorted to using the 2D GTN popup.

The GTN is absolutely awesome, so I personally can very well put up with this workaround.

Dave P. Woycek

thanks for the reply Dave.

I noticed turning on the overhead light in the conquest helps a bit

on an off topic that big empty space below the gtn in the conquest looks like a great place for the f1 650............hint , hint ....

Also, I would like to bring to Flysimware's attention that I asked in the F1 GTN support forum about the VC lighting issues, especially during dusk/dawn.

Please see here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic55660_post349955.html#349955

Basically, the reply was that the developer of the VC 3D gauge (i. e. Flysimware) needs to look into the material settings to make the LCD screen emit light during all conditions of the day so that it will be bright enough also during dusk and dawn.

Dave P. Woycek

Also, I would like to bring to Flysimware's attention that I asked in the F1 GTN support forum about the VC lighting issues, especially during dusk/dawn.

Please see here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic55660_post349955.html#349955

Basically, the reply was that the developer of the VC 3D gauge (i. e. Flysimware) needs to look into the material settings to make the LCD screen emit light during all conditions of the day so that it will be bright enough also during dusk and dawn.

So the light maps in the VC would need rework.........probably labor intensive.

So the light maps in the VC would need rework.........probably labor intensive.

Since I have yet to see a VC integration in an addon aircraft that gets the GTN lighting right at dusk/dawn, there must indeed be something that prevents developers from achieving this easily or even at all.

Well ... too bad.

Dave P. Woycek

Guest BeaverDriver

I too have serious issues seeing the GTN at dusk/dawn. This is a mod that Flysimware has done as I do not have any issues with any (of the many!) other aircraft with the GTN I have. I too have asked Flysimware (several times) to adjust or remove this mod, but to no avail. As the majority of my flying is done at dawn/dusk, and using the GTN as a pop-up is an immersion killer, I have hangared the aircraft (as of quite some time ago) until such time as it is fixed. Since Flysimware has shown zero interest in fixing this, I am going on the assumption now that this was wasted money and will not be buying anything more from them. I prefer a developer who does take their customer complaints a little more to heart (we are BY FAR not the first to complain about this issue).

I remember a thread (sorry cant find it) where it was stated that some coding was done that impacted the brightness. I wish flysimware would do something about it, this issue is rather annoying when flying dusk/dawn

John

It is annoying and not just at dusk or dawn. The brightness complaint has been raised several times about all FSW models with the GTN integration. Flysimware not only won't fix it, they won't even discuss it. I decided not to buy the Lear after a friend reported the same issue with that model.

To overcome this issue at dusk and dawn, during dim stormy weather, and when flying toward the sunlight in some models, I reconfigure my various aircraft models' panel.cfg files to create, position, and size a 2D GTN750 popup to closely match the 750's position in their various VCs.  The 2D popup mirrors the status of the VC gauge.  The 2D provides a big difference in brightness.  I also configure a left-right slider switch on the right side handle of my Saitek Pro Flight Cessna yoke to toggle that GTN popup.  Not a perfect solution, but very effective in overcoming the issue when needed.  And I only use it when needed.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I too have serious issues seeing the GTN at dusk/dawn. This is a mod that Flysimware has done as I do not have any issues with any (of the many!) other aircraft with the GTN I have. I too have asked Flysimware (several times) to adjust or remove this mod, but to no avail. As the majority of my flying is done at dawn/dusk, and using the GTN as a pop-up is an immersion killer, I have hangared the aircraft (as of quite some time ago) until such time as it is fixed. Since Flysimware has shown zero interest in fixing this, I am going on the assumption now that this was wasted money and will not be buying anything more from them. I prefer a developer who does take their customer complaints a little more to heart (we are BY FAR not the first to complain about this issue).

Why remove the GTN integration completely? I would not appreciate that at all since it works perfectly well in day/night conditions. It's just the dusk/dawn issue that needs to be fixed.

Dave P. Woycek

After some research, I found this:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/night-time-darkness-levels.8985/

Someone wrote there:

For the dusk/dawn textures some people feel, subjectively, the result is too dark or too light.
There are 2 items that allow the transition time to be changed:

[GRAPHICS]
DAY_THRESHOLD
NIGHT_THRESHOLD

acceptible values are 0 to 65535.

Defaults:
DAY: 32768
NIGHT: 4096

These represent the amount of 'ambient' light at the ends of the day/night blend threshold.
Zero is perfect dark,
65535 is full day sun at noon in the summer.

I experimented with these settings and was able to shift the night-lightig kick-in time considerably. I got the night lighting kick in a lot earlier when transitioning from day to night and go away a lot later when transitioning from night to day.

I could make the GTN appear with night lighting even when the environment appeared still or already pretty daylike.

Certainly, this affects the whole FSX night lighing, so the airports and other stuff as well.

For those with GTN lighing issues at dusk/dawn definitely worth a try.

Don't know if it works for P3D, though, since I use FSX.

Dave P. Woycek

Hopefully this will be adressed too in the next patch. Not only it is barely readable, it just looks dumb when all intruments are lit up, but the GTN is the only dark spot in the panel.

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

thanks for the tip Dave, and Mathias I would not hold my breath I dont think they are going to fix this (I have not seen any comments from the dev on this, but hopefully they will take our feedback. I can't imagine this being a big deal to fix)

John.

Errr, not trying to pile on 'cause I love this aircraft, but I must say that I have the GTN in 6 other aircraft and this behavior does not occur on the others. The GTN display is bright in both the VC gauge and in the 2-D pop up. Just sayin.......