Brand wise, I've had good luck with Panasonic. My G25 plasma is still going strong after 7 years.

From my experience, 30 Hz will however not work with TrackIR.

I use TrackIR5 frequently at 30Hz, not a problem, nothing is "blurry" ... I think what you are describing is poor pixel response time for the monitor/TV.

Cheers, Rob.

I am currently on 1440p. What 4k monitor for exclusive flightsim usage would you recommend that is able to do both 30 and 60 Hz? I am overwhelmed with all the Samsungs and Sonys available.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

This is the subject ive been looking for too , 

I also have a birthday coming up in next few weeks and i have a tin full of £1 and £2 pound coins ive been saving for a year .

Now i was thinking of the philips 40" 4k monitor or would anyone suggest not or waiting till 8k out plus i would like a big en like 60"

regards 

tink

This is the subject ive been looking for too ,

I also have a birthday coming up in next few weeks and i have a tin full of £1 and £2 pound coins ive been saving for a year .

Now i was thinking of the philips 40" 4k monitor or would anyone suggest not or waiting till 8k out plus i would like a big en like 60"

regards

tink

Heck, I'd think a slightly smaller curved would be better than a huge flat.  46", to me, has been on the verge of too big.  Again, though, I haven't tried zooming back which may be why some people love the monster screens.  I'm going to try going back to .90ish zoom on one of my planes to see if that has anything to do with it.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Its a hard decision , as i wondered if its worth waiting for a 8k that would be amazing .

am dicing with the idea of a projector too 

tink

But with that said, I do recommend you check with a qualified eye doctor. I've been coding close proximity to LEDs for almost 20 years now (often 10-16 hrs a day). I have regular yearly eye exams and all is good with my retina ... I have developed mild astigmatism over my 50+ years (34 of them in front of a monitor of some sort) but that is a very common problem and not related to LEDs.

OK, now you guys have done it!  Just when I've finally got my sim the way I like it I get to worry about this.  Always SOMETHING.  :)    In my case, I did have a small retinal tear repaired last year with laser surgery.  Definitely one of the more unpleasant medical procedures I've ever had.  But, that was before I had gotten back into simming again.  It was mostly due to age and the fact that I am nearsighted which tends to aggravate retinal tearing.

BTW, I use a Samsung 50" 4K flat at 3' from my eyes.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

Its a hard decision , as i wondered if its worth waiting for a 8k that would be amazing.

FYI, 8K will require GPU's that are not yet released ... I'm assuming the "Pascal" line will support 8K (7680 x 4320).  Current Titan X and 980Ti only support upto 5120 x 3200.  There will also need to be an improved port standard as DisplayPort and HDMI 2.0 are not sufficient ... so still much "up in the air" as far as 8K GPUs and cable/port standards to support it.  Although, 8K will most likely be "accessible" in 2016, it probably will not be until 2017 before supporting cable/port/GPU infrastructure is in place (maybe) ... interim, it's very likely 8K monitors/TVs for computer usage will require two GPUs minimum with two I/O cables ... at least until other specs catch up.

And yes, 16K monitors are also in the works.

The benefit regarding 8K and 16K will hopefully be the end of AA, with such high resolution there should be little or no need for AA of any kind.  

There are many factors to screen size vs. view distance vs. resolution.  A 1080p 50" display viewed at 3 feet with no AA will appear to have very jagged edges vs. a 2160p 50" display viewed at 3 feet ... at 3 feet the px/in becomes very noticeable at 1080p.

There is a "sweet spot" for view distance to monitor physical size to resolution used ... a simple test is to use NO AA on a 1080p 40"+ monitor and slowly move away from the monitor, as you move further away the "jaggies" will seem to "disappear".  View distances is one cause of why there is such variance is the human perception of AA and AA related issues such as "Shimmering".

Also, it's important to remember that the ONLY thing happening when a 3D game/sim is being rendered is that those pixels are just changing color ... the "final" destination of a rendered frame is the simple act of changing the color of millions of pixels every few milliseconds ... it all boils down to just a lot of mathematics.

Cheers, Rob.

Its a hard decision , as i wondered if its worth waiting for a 8k that would be amazing .

am dicing with the idea of a projector too 

tink

I just went from a short throw projector back to a 55 ' 1080p TV mainly because I was sick of sitting in a dark room during the day and most simmers will agree that night flying is just 'off" with a projector. Runway and city lights look washed out

ZORAN

I haven't tried zooming back which may be why some people love the monster screens.  I'm going to try going back to .90ish zoom on one of my planes to see if that has anything to do with it.

If you set things up properly you should be able to mask off a section of the 4K monitor that's the size of your old monitor and see exactly the same picture as you used to. The unsophisticated way to do this is to measure one of the dials (or something else distinctive) on your old screen and set your zoom on the new screen so that they are the same size. (This assumes you are going to sit the same distance away. What you are actually trying to keep constant is the angular size - i.e. the number of degrees of arc the dial covers in your field of view.)

If you do this, the sizes, distances and speeds will all look the same on your new screen but you will see more of the world without panning the view and it will most likely be sharper. Ideally, you need to set it up so that things (the dials, etc.) are life-sized. This is often too much of a compromise on small screen so people tend to run unnaturally wide zooms. With 4K it ought to be no problem, especially if you use a TrackIR.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Most 4k TVs these days are 60hz and above so adjustments in Nvidia Control Panel will be necessary to set 30hz. I have a Samsung 65'' UHD running P3D and love it. The picture quality is amazing and whilst the size of the TV at unboxing seemed ridiculous, once in play the size is dwarfed by the immersion. 

Couldn't agree more there.  I recently bought a Samsung 4k 55' and it is truly amazing.  The immersion is something to experience, especially at night with great night lighting.  The relatively huge size soon becomes 'normal' and I constantly wonder what a 65' would be like.

Well said Erich,

55' or 65" I doubt if it would make a huge difference or noticeable.

thanks for reporting you experience

IM

Hi all,

My birthday is in a bit (I'll be what...25?) and was thinking about having my kids surprise me (SURRRPRISE!!) with a 4K TV. I've been doing some shopping and prices at Best Buy seem to be all over the map.  I'm looking at something around 45-50" and, yeah, if I can even figure out if they're capable of 30Hz, I'll do that.  So, does price matter?  Brand?  Anything to stay away from or lean toward.  Cheaper are less painful if they go out.  More expensive brands might last longer...maybe.  Thoughts?

Well sir I happen to work at place where we sell Samsung, Vizio, LG, and TCL.  In my opinion Samsung has the best and most clear 4K pictures.  I currently have a VIzio myself, at the time it was all I could afford.  Just keep in mind that if you do not have a 4k input, having a 4k tv really doesnt matter.  The new SUHD Samsung tv's are pretty awesome.  FYI, to save some money, if you have a Costco near where you live, go there.  The prices and warranties are better than a BestBuy! 

How important is 30hz. most are 120hz or more now days. 

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Hi all,

My birthday is in a bit (I'll be what...25?) and was thinking about having my kids surprise me (SURRRPRISE!!) with a 4K TV. I've been doing some shopping and prices at Best Buy seem to be all over the map.  I'm looking at something around 45-50" and, yeah, if I can even figure out if they're capable of 30Hz, I'll do that.  So, does price matter?  Brand?  Anything to stay away from or lean toward.  Cheaper are less painful if they go out.  More expensive brands might last longer...maybe.  Thoughts?

I am in the same boat as you :-)

I have looked at this one http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49UH610V from LG (49") but cant find anything about performance for PC HDMI connection.

Anyone who can guide ?

I aim for SLI setup in 4K

Not sure why 30HZ is important ? I use unlimited FPS in P3D

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png